Residency Placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to pick which schools I want to apply to this year. I was wondering if the school you go to has a big impact on the state you get residency in. For example, if I go to Western in California, will I have a better chance of getting a residency in California?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to pick which schools I want to apply to this year. I was wondering if the school you go to has a big impact on the state you get residency in. For example, if I go to Western in California, will I have a better chance of getting a residency in California?
yes, mainly because it will be easier for you to do audition rotations closer to home. Some programs really like it if you rotate there as a 3rd or 4th year before you apply for their residency. Flying all over the country can be hard, so if you are rotating in the back yard of your school for residencies you want, thats a lot easier. Plus they want to train people who might be willing to stick around in that area so there is a little instate bias. Plus some residency programs on the opposite coast will have never even heard of your med school (especially if it is one of the newer ones). So staying local, your school's name has a little bit more impact sometimes. All of this is just what i have heard on here second hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ummmmmm NO NO NO. Don't not pick a school thinking it will help you land a residency. Residency is a crap shoot just like getting into medical school and it has to do with you as the individual student, not the school you go to. You go do audition rotations where you think you would like to be and then sort out your match list.

Reactions: 2 users
Location matters somewhat. Mostly for NYC or California. Additionally, some programs only take DOs from specific schools. Overall, it's not a huge issue and clearly people disagree about this issue.

Ummmmmm NO NO NO. Don't not pick a school thinking it will help you land a residency. Residency is a crap shoot just like getting into medical school and it has to do with you as the individual student, not the school you go to. You go do audition rotations where you think you would like to be and then sort out your match list.

Will going to California school increase the chance of him getting a California residency? Yes. Yes it will. Don't pick a school based solely on that. But it surely will increase his chances.

Will going to California school increase the chance of him getting a California residency? Yes. Yes it will. Don't pick a school based solely on that. But it surely will increase his chances.

I'm going to need to see some kind of source.

I choose to disagree Mr. Pre-med. Clearly you have no idea abut the workings of residency selection.

Pull up a match list of a California school(s) and compare their ratio of in-state matching to an out of state school's ratio of students matching into California. I wonder which is higher? He wasn't asking how residency selection works.

Last edited:
Pull up a match list of a California school(s) and compare their ratio of in-state matching to an out of state school's ratio of students matching into California. I wonder which is higher? He wasn't asking how residency selection works.
The same can be said for any other school in their given state. This logic is flawed. It's selection bias.

If you want to be in California, years of data suggests that many California medical school students will match into California. If you want to be there, it wouldn't hurt to apply.

Last edited:
Regardless of how you are chosen for a residency, no matter if it is selection bias, a crapshoot or what have you, you will have a higher chance of matching into a California school, which answers the OP's question.

He wants to know if he'll have a better chance of a California residency. There is nothing more to discuss.
You need to take a statistics course.

I'm glad you learned selection bias, a middle school concept, in your undergraduate statistics course.

If selection bias could help you get a California residency, again, it wouldn't hurt to apply there.

Actually I think he was asking how residency selection works. Either way your logic is hilarious.

Key word here being big impact? The answer would be no.

You'll have to check match lists. Medical schools serve as feeders for particular programs, in the same way a good UG school serves as a feeder for a med school.

You'll have to check match lists. Medical schools serve as feeders for particular programs, in the same way a good UG school serves as a feeder for a med school.
How would you go about finding out what schools feed where? I wouldn't know what to look for...
for example, if memory serves, I heard PCOM-PA feeds its students well into its ortho program. How would I go about verifying this and checking other schools?

That, I do not know. But, if, say, Western provides a number of people into orthopedics at Cedars-Sinai, and surgery at St. X in Anaheim, then you could surmise that Western is a feeder for these two programs.

I'm still learning about the magic that goes into matching.

How would you go about finding out what schools feed where? I wouldn't know what to look for...
for example, if memory serves, I heard PCOM-PA feeds its students well into its ortho program. How would I go about verifying this and checking other schools?

Feeding is certainly not a big thing in osteopathic medicine. Now don't get me wrong some schools may "feed" into residency programs within there own OPTI(Osteopathic Postdoctoral Training Institution). So if there is a specific, competitive AOA residency that resides in OPTI-West then yes attending Western may help. But in the end (unless something has changed) a majority of DO graduates end up in the ACGME match anyway.

On the ACGME side, California residencies tend to be fairly competitive and being from (or having connections to) Cali can certainly help. Otherwise matching as a DO on the ACGME side is about NETWORKING, DO bias within the specific field/institution, and board scores. In medicine who you know and how well you know them trumps most everything else when it comes to matching.

My thought is if you want to end up there you obviously want to live there....why not just go to school there too?