Residency probation and effect on future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baconandeggs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already seen this thread but still wondering if Ophtho employers / credentialing committees have a unique perspective of probation.

If a resident was put on probation but
1) successfully completed remediation program
2) successfully completed residency program

but PD
3) put records of disciplinary actions in permanent file
4) summary letter in permanent file seemed to mostly document the incidents
with only a small paragraph documenting the resident's ability to practice competently and independently.

and subsequently, resident was honest & upfront and disclosed the above but
5) had difficulty looking for a job (maybe economy had a part too)
6) had difficulty getting fellowship due to probation
7) ULTIMATELY got into a fellowship program (yay!) in different state.

The current fellowship program has been very supportive and understanding (hence the successful credentialing) .
But what does the future hold after successfully completing the current fellowship?

Will
employers / future credentialing committees dwell on the residency record or will being successfully credentialed (the first time) have any positive impact in terms of looking for a future job? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that future employers will ask to see a formal letter from residency.
They will ask for references from the fellowship, and if necessary you can offer selective favorable references from residency.

Make sure you are aware of the residency issues of the past and going forward have a stellar fellowship experience and record.

Residencies need to get their sh^^ together about probation. Some state medical boards want to know about probation. Some residencies automatically put all first years on probation.

If the residency want to create a new status, like "special academic status" separate from probation, that's a thought. Also some probation is not registered with the GME office.

Just a mess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews have started. Should the probation period be voluntarily brought up? I think it is preferable to be honest and upfront but at the same time will employers overlook the fact that residency was successfully completed and a fellowship was obtained (which requires successful credentialing)?

Interviews have started. Should the probation period be voluntarily brought up? I think it is preferable to be honest and upfront but at the same time will employers overlook the fact that residency was successfully completed and a fellowship was obtained (which requires successful credentialing)?

The past is, as they say, the past. You've moved on. Falling all over yourself proactively apologizing for past mistakes will only make you come off as weak. So, don't bring it up, but definitely be prepared to talk about it. If the practice is worth anything, they will have done their research on you, anyway. If they think it's an issue, they'll bring it up. Heck, my practice even contacted some of the technicians that had worked with me in residency and fellowship! Taking on an associate is an investment of time and money that doesn't always pay off. Most practices are fairly cautious nowadays.

Last edited: