Residency program rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Infliunza

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a 3rd yr student, soon to be 4th yr, and interested in pursuing a residency in internal medicine with the intention of doing a cardiology fellowship. I was hoping to find a "list" of some sorts that ranked various IM residency programs. I know there a ton of criteria to rank programs against, but is there anything out there that gives unofficial "top tier" versus "second tier" programs? I feel that I would be a borderline candidate for top tier (I'll apply but with low expectations) but could safely match within the better of the middle tier programs.

I would assume top tier programs are ones like MGH, UCSF ... what else?

Where would UPenn rank? I'm pretty interested in that program, but unsure at how realistic of a shot I have. Basically I'm interested in staying on the East coast, preferably in the NorthEast.

Does anyone have anything to say about UPMC (univ of pittsburgh) either?

Also, I'm more than willing to go to a "lesser" prestigious program if they have an awesome cardiology program that I could try to get a few years down the road.

Yeah, I know I have a lot of pain in the ass things that I've thrown out there ... but I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Upenn is clearly a top tier program in my opinion. Maybe even top 5. I didn't apply there, but the word on the trail was that it had a lot in common with Brigham. By that, I think people felt it was a great program with a very supportive environment. But as I said, I didn't go there, so I don't know for sure.

I don't know anything about Pitt. Good basketball team...

this has been posted on previous threads. according to us news and world report here are the lastest internal med rankings. it's under the graduate school guide for those interested in buying a copy.

Source: US News (2003 Edition) -

(New! Ranked in 2002*) - Medical Specialties: Internal Medicine

1. Harvard University (MA)
Johns Hopkins University (MD)
3. University of California?San Francisco
4. University of Pennsylvania
Washington University in St. Louis
6. Duke University (NC)
7. University of Washington
8. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor
9. U. of Texas Southwestern Medical Center?Dallas
10. Columbia U. College of Physicians and Surgeons (NY)
11. University of Alabama?Birmingham
12. Yale University (CT)
13. University of Chicago
14. Stanford University (CA)
University of California?Los Angeles
16. Mayo Medical School (MN)
17. Vanderbilt University (TN)
18. University of Iowa
University of North Carolina?Chapel Hill
20. University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
21. Cornell University (Weill) (NY)

Members don't see this ad :)
The better question is, who cares?

The best residency in the world is the one that you are sure will provide you with the best educational opportunity and the structure to grow as a internal medicine doctor.

Once you've reached the level of the elite medical programs, the US News rankings are meaningless. Patients don't care about them and most other physicians don't care about them. You can already list the top tier medicine programs- they are those names that roll off your tongue when you name the top academic centers in any discipline. Don't let ego blind you to any number of excellent medicine programs, just because someone else doesn't see them as 'top tier'.

Apply all over the country. See what program philosophy, geography, etc you like the best. If its a top tier program good for you. If it is not, well, you're doing your part to make it one.

The only one who's ultimately going to care where you train is you, if you care, then your rank list should look like the US W&N report. The "top tier programs" I was privelaged enough to see did not blow me out of the water like some other programs that did not make the top 20. I say go with your instincts, if they've gotten you this far.;)

Influenza,

When you are admitting the 5th gomer from the ER in a row with a peg, trach, and port-a-cath it will not matter where you are. Go where you are happy. Medicine is medicine everywhere.

:laugh:

Rankings are important if you are interested in competitive fellowships or want to go the academic route.

I agree with the majority here. Who cares about the rankings? Rankings may make somewhat of a difference in terms of fellowship, but again...who cares? Will you work for 3 hard years in a place you are completely unhappy in just to get a fellowship at another place that...who knows, you might be unhappy in as well? Some will answer 'yes' to this, and to those people I say...you may lack the experience to fully understand what it means to be trapped somewhere you are unhappy. I agree with the first few posters; when you're old and grey and ready to pack it in, are you going to say "whew, well...that sucked. BUT, I got into Tea and Crumpet University"?

What are US News's criteria for ranking internal med programs? Is Barnes associated with Wash U and thus is Barnes considered a top program?

Just wanted to clarify that Barnes-Jewish Hospital is Wash U; in terms of internal medicine (and pretty much any other field, from what I've heard) it is an awesome place to train, just in a sort of crappy city.

Of course, this is my personal bias; I'm starting there in June for categorical IM.

dude dont you have better thigns to do with your time than browse 3 yr old threads?