Residency programs: does dental school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmnsair

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of related questions to this, and I understand that "reputation" doesn't affect your chances too much- but does going to a D-school with residency programs make you more likely to get into THAT SCHOOL'S residency program?
For example, if I go to Pitt and I want to get into THEIR peds program, am I more likely to get in because I attended their dental school?

With Dec 1st coming up, I'm seriously just trying to figure out how all this works, so don't hate.
Thanks ppl

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a lot of related questions to this, and I understand that "reputation" doesn't affect your chances too much- but does going to a D-school with residency programs make you more likely to get into THAT SCHOOL'S residency program?
For example, if I go to Pitt and I want to get into THEIR peds program, am I more likely to get in because I attended their dental school?

With Dec 1st coming up, I'm seriously just trying to figure out how all this works, so don't hate.
Thanks ppl

School reputation does matter...and yes many programs give preference to their own students...or at the very least you have more time to fall into their good graces

Reactions: 1 user
Or out of their good graces. Whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
School reputation does matter...

I know this isn't what OP asked about but...it matters to some and not to others. I spoke with the department chair of Vanderbilt OMS the other day and asked him if which school you attend means anything. His response "It means almost nothing. We just want to see how well you did at the program you attended. And if we get really desperate, we might read your personal statement."

I know this isn't what OP asked about but...it matters to some and not to others. I spoke with the department chair of Vanderbilt OMS the other day and asked him if which school you attend means anything. His response "It means almost nothing. We just want to see how well you did at the program you attended. And if we get really desperate, we might read your personal statement."

Yeah i just don't buy that (not what you said, what he said)...look at the match rates at columbia, ucsf and harvard...obviously some of that is more people wanting to specialize...but harvard and ucsf are p/f and all of them still match extremely high amounts

If the guy at vandy has some who was #1 at meharry and some who was #1 at Harvard applying (same cbse)...it's not going to be a hard choice

UCSF is h/p/f right? Aren't harvard and uconn the only p/f schools in the country? Columbia is also h/p/f

I think there are other P/F schools. LECOM in Florida is P/F, so is Roseman in Utah. There may be a couple others.

I'm sure rep matters to some extent (maybe Ivy League schools, depending on how much the person reading the app actually cares) but after a certain point, I think it's true that YOUR individual performance is what gets you in

I seem to be in the same predicament at wmnsair... I was accepted to a state school that offers all of the residency programs and a private school that offers no residencies. The private school does have a more well know reputation for their clinic though.

As of right now I have a strong desire to specialize. I want to get the best education for my time and money and the most experience I can during school. I am leaning towards the private school but I don't want to hinder my chances to get accepted into a specialty program since that is the long term goal.

Any advise?

lexa_m, you choose the school that is cheaper. If I were choosing between my state school and a private school that was twice the price, that's a no brainer. I would think that if you go to your state school you will have an easier time getting into the residency programs at that school by getting to know the faculty in that department.

If you're specializing you should go to a school with that specialty...unless it is omfs in which case you should go to the school that will prepare you better for the cbse

Turns our my state doesn't have a dental school so the private school is about $15k more a year than the state school. I know it adds up but if I can get a significantly better education because of the exposure in the clinic without residency programs I feel like the price difference is worth it.

But, the long term goal is to specialize... which is where my confusion is comes in.