residency questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you apply for a residency, is it gauranteed that you'll get into at least 1 program...is that how Match list works? Or is it very difficult to get a residency, especially in CA? I was speaking with someone who told me that their friend is having a very tough time finding a pharm residency. Also, what is the stipend they give you vs how many hours you do?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know??

there is no guarantee for the residency positions, for the more competitive positions especially in California a high applicant to acceptance ratio is seen, one of the positions I applied to had more than 70 applicants for 6 positions. If an applicant is willing to travel or apply to a newer or less competitive position generally a residency can be found.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to do a residency program? As a resident you make about half of what a pharmacist makes. I would say if you want to do retail pharmcay like walgreens a residency is useless. You just lose half your pay. If you want to work as a clinical pharmacist then it is worth doing a residency but it is still hard to find a job when your done. A freind of mine works in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist in chicago in a horrible neighborhood the spot open at the time in the chicagoland area. He works alot of hours, he is paid salary unlike retail, the pay is $15,000 less than retail, but he loves it.

suey you should check out the ashp residency web page . it'll probably answer a lot of the basic questions you have about doing a residency. i'm hoping to do one when i graduate!