Residency rankings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubadoc78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you effectively remove yourself from a residency's consideration if you don't rank it?

I'm wondering because I'm applying to two different specialties in the hopes I'll buy myself a little more time to decide between the two. If I interview and decide I don't want to do one specialty, can I just not rank any programs in that specialty and then not have to worry about getting selected into it?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you are right.

lets say you applied to IM and pediatrics programs. you have 10 interviews in each field. And you are confident enough that you will match in you preferred field, lets say peds. If you dont rank IM programs, you CAN NOT match in IM programs.

Your confidence in interviews in peds is not a guarantee to match in peds though. thats a different story.

cheers.

Yes you are right.

lets say you applied to IM and pediatrics programs. you have 10 interviews in each field. And you are confident enough that you will match in you preferred field, lets say peds. If you dont rank IM programs, you CAN NOT match in IM programs.

Your confidence in interviews in peds is not a guarantee to match in peds though. thats a different story.

cheers.

thanks man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you effectively remove yourself from a residency's consideration if you don't rank it?

I'm wondering because I'm applying to two different specialties in the hopes I'll buy myself a little more time to decide between the two. If I interview and decide I don't want to do one specialty, can I just not rank any programs in that specialty and then not have to worry about getting selected into it?

That sounds like me last year...

I figured it out before I spent money on travelling to all the interviews.

If you don't rank a location, there's no way how you can end up there (unless you somehow scramble in).

That sounds like me last year...

I figured it out before I spent money on travelling to all the interviews.

If you don't rank a location, there's no way how you can end up there (unless you somehow scramble in).

hey john deere, would you mind sharing what programs you were trying to decide between?

i'm trying to decide between FM and psych. i was going to include im but decided primary care was my interest and IM/FM had too much overlap.

hey john deere, would you mind sharing what programs you were trying to decide between?

i'm trying to decide between FM and psych. i was going to include im but decided primary care was my interest and IM/FM had too much overlap.

I debated between FM and IM/Peds combined programs. That was because I was thinking of doing endocrinology, and later decided against it.

I also didn't want to do Med/Peds because I didn't want to be an intern for two years. Granted I would be more knowledgable in the Peds area, but too often I hear that people often pick one or the other eventually.

I love FM, and am glad I chose the path I did. Just wish I would have known sooner so I didn't waste money applying to additional programs. Oh well!