Residency Regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about community pharmacy residents?

Emphasis on the "most" in the previous post. Community residents make up a tiny percentage of the total pharmacy residents. So saying most pharmacy residents are not interested in retail is correct.

Members don't see this ad.

i actually have good feeling where you are at

there are some HORRENDOUS programs out there.

my question to you is simple: the job offer you have, can you do it for the next multiple years? if you drop out of residency, lots of doors on you will close and people will want to see you are stable, so if you can keep the offered job for years, then Id consider it

the dude at my place left the residency for family reasons. it happens

i actually have good feeling where you are at

there are some HORRENDOUS programs out there.

my question to you is simple: the job offer you have, can you do it for the next multiple years? if you drop out of residency, lots of doors on you will close and people will want to see you are stable, so if you can keep the offered job for years, then Id consider it

the dude at my place left the residency for family reasons. it happens

I'm definitely interested in the job offer, and it is something I could see myself doing for years -- although you never really know what a situation is going to be like until you are actually in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely interested in the job offer, and it is something I could see myself doing for years -- although you never really know what a situation is going to be like until you are actually in it.

thats true but you need to make the informed decision

i would not leave residency unless you are willing to do other job for years

if you leave residency, then other job soon after, people will look away as you would seem unstable

Emphasis on the "most" in the previous post. Community residents make up a tiny percentage of the total pharmacy residents. So saying most pharmacy residents are not interested in retail is correct.

Yup! There are few community residency programs. The vast majority of PGY1s are acute care..a few amb care, few community, etc. Most people do a PGY1 because they want to get away from retail!

Yup! There are few community residency programs. The vast majority of PGY1s are acute care..a few amb care, few community, etc. Most people do a PGY1 because they want to get away from retail!

Yeah this concept always perplexed me...

Yeah this concept always perplexed me...

Agree...because you don't need a residency for retail or even for management in retail. No idea...I guess they do a lot of "pt care" programs, but a lot of those don't last long because they aren't profitable (except for immunization).

Yes, but most people who go the residency path do not have an interest in retail pharmacy...

yah, a residency-turned-retail applicant would be seen as someone who can't find a residency-related job and just needs a place to hide for a while and/or make some money.

I'd probably stick that applicant to the bottom of the stack too...don't want to deal with having to hire someone new in a year or two.

Agree...because you don't need a residency for retail or even for management in retail. No idea...I guess they do a lot of "pt care" programs, but a lot of those don't last long because they aren't profitable (except for immunization).

The community pharmacy residencies i've seen focus on management (as a selling point at least) or are hybrid with managed care residencies (I think USC has one like that).

The gist I got was that they weren't for strict "retail" pharmacists. It's either a fast track to upper retail management or a component of a different residency altogether.

Though I could be wrong on this one.

The community pharmacy residencies i've seen focus on management (as a selling point at least) or are hybrid with managed care residencies (I think USC has one like that).

The gist I got was that they weren't for strict "retail" pharmacists. It's either a fast track to upper retail management or a component of a different residency altogether.

Though I could be wrong on this one.

Many community pharmacy residencies are oriented towards pharmacy ownership or MTM or academics or something else. Most are not really focused on big chain retail pharmacy.

Take this with a grain of salt but the district manager of the retail chain I work for specifically told me that a residency is great but it would essentially put your application at the bottom of the stack if you choose to go back to retail. I don't know how much stock to put into that statement though, hence the salt.

A pharmacist who has completed a hospital residency obviously would leave retail as soon as he/she receives a job offer from a hospital. To the district manager, it would be a "why even bother hiring this person if they're going to leave the first chance they get?" sort of situation.

Wow! You guys make it sounds like its hospital or bust. What if someone does a residency but decides that isn't the route they want to go? Sounds like they need to find a different career :laugh:

Seriously, what if I hate hospital pharmacy despite the residency? If what you guys say is true then hell, I won't even bother going for a residency. Most hospital pharmacy jobs don't even require residencies from my observation, or at least the non-clinical jobs don't require one. None of the DPhs at the hospital I'm at have one.

Again, grain of salt.

Seriously, what if I hate hospital pharmacy despite the residency? If what you guys say is true then hell, I won't even bother going for a residency.

Good idea. If you hate hospital pharmacy now, residency will just make you hate it more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! You guys make it sounds like its hospital or bust. What if someone does a residency but decides that isn't the route they want to go? Sounds like they need to find a different career :laugh:

Seriously, what if I hate hospital pharmacy despite the residency? If what you guys say is true then hell, I won't even bother going for a residency. Most hospital pharmacy jobs don't even require residencies from my observation, or at least the non-clinical jobs don't require one. None of the DPhs at the hospital I'm at have one.

Again, grain of salt.

When I was job hunting, last year and this, most hospitals in this region, even smaller ones, weren't even bothering to interview, let alone hire, anyone without a residency. Since I graduated almost 20 years ago with a B.Sc.Pharm., that excluded me (a massive understatement). I finally found a place that valued experience and that's where I am now.

I've heard that a lot of places are changing that because it so tightly restricts their hiring pool - that all they're going to get are new graduates.

When I was job hunting, last year and this, most hospitals in this region, even smaller ones, weren't even bothering to interview, let alone hire, anyone without a residency. Since I graduated almost 20 years ago with a B.Sc.Pharm., that excluded me (a massive understatement). I finally found a place that valued experience and that's where I am now.

I've heard that a lot of places are changing that because it so tightly restricts their hiring pool - that all they're going to get are new graduates.

Almost all the hospital here hire people without residency for staff positions. You only need residency if you are interested in a clinical position. I even heard one of my preceptors (who didn't do a residency) replaced a clinical pharmacist who moved after she got married. I actually believe it is more about who you know now instead of what's on your resume.

I'm about 80% certain that I'm an intern at this same institution. At least I hope there aren't too many places out there with the same miserable reputation our residency program has. If I were in your situation I would have a hard time leaving, but only because you have invested so much time into it already. However, good job offers are few and far between these days. Tough call. At least the cafeteria has gourmet coffee.

residency results from massive brainwashing through pharmacy school. There is nothing one learns from a residency program that can't be learned just as effectively through diligent work.

The bad thing is employers have drunk the kool aid as well.

Residency: Devaluing Pharm.D since _________

Again, grain of salt.

This varies by region and institution. Most of the pharmacists I work with have not completed residencies either. However, they were pharmacists before residency becam "preferred" or required. The pharmacists we have hired most recently have all completed a residency or already had a foot in the door (already worked for the institution in another capacity before pharmacy school). I agree that manyschools encourage residency a bit too much (don't give enough attention to other types of practice) but, at the end of the day, you are the one making the choice. Try to get the most out of your rotations. I think it is equally important to keep your mind open to all the possibilities and all the opportunities available to you. Don't have a "one track" mind. I went into pharmacy school with one type of practice in mind and here I am doing a dual degree and considering many other options outside of "traditional" practice (hospital, community). I am still considering residency but it is no longer my only goal post graduation.

For the OP, I agree with the majority of the previous posters. Quitting a residency not only closes doors but it leaves that program high and dry. in the real world, you will encounter many difficult situation and many different personalities. the grass isn't always greener. six months will go by before you know it. if I quit after6 months of being miserable, I probably wouldn't be working where I am working nor would I still be in pharmacy school. I know I am only a p2 so take my advice or leave it but I've worked in pharmacy long enough to know that just quitting is a bad idea unless it is really related to your health or extenuating circumstances.

This varies by region and institution. Most of the pharmacists I work with have not completed residencies either. However, they were pharmacists before residency becam "preferred" or required. The pharmacists we have hired most recently have all completed a residency or already had a foot in the door (already worked for the institution in another capacity before pharmacy school). I agree that manyschools encourage residency a bit too much (don't give enough attention to other types of practice) but, at the end of the day, you are the one making the choice. Try to get the most out of your rotations. I think it is equally important to keep your mind open to all the possibilities and all the opportunities available to you. Don't have a "one track" mind. I went into pharmacy school with one type of practice in mind and here I am doing a dual degree and considering many other options outside of "traditional" practice (hospital, community). I am still considering residency but it is no longer my only goal post graduation.

For the OP, I agree with the majority of the previous posters. Quitting a residency not only closes doors but it leaves that program high and dry. in the real world, you will encounter many difficult situation and many different personalities. the grass isn't always greener. six months will go by before you know it. if I quit after6 months of being miserable, I probably wouldn't be working where I am working nor would I still be in pharmacy school. I know I am only a p2 so take my advice or leave it but I've worked in pharmacy long enough to know that just quitting is a bad idea unless it is really related to your health or extenuating circumstances.

^ this

Take this with a grain of salt but the district manager of the retail chain I work for specifically told me that a residency is great but it would essentially put your application at the bottom of the stack if you choose to go back to retail. I don't know how much stock to put into that statement though, hence the salt.

Sounds like somebody has a chip on their shoulder.

The DM is just probably afraid of higher turnover.

Yeah, makes sense to me. I just figured most people bounced around between companies any way. I can't imagine having a retail job and doing the exact same assembly line stuff in the same location for 20 years.

Almost all the hospital here hire people without residency for staff positions. You only need residency if you are interested in a clinical position. I even heard one of my preceptors (who didn't do a residency) replaced a clinical pharmacist who moved after she got married. I actually believe it is more about who you know now instead of what's on your resume.

It is also about how sturdy your knee pads are. I'd definitely rate that higher than resume quality.

residency results from massive brainwashing through pharmacy school. There is nothing one learns from a residency program that can't be learned just as effectively through diligent work.

The bad thing is employers have drunk the kool aid as well.

Residency: Devaluing Pharm.D since _________

My opinion is we are very good at differentiating ourselves from one another but fail to do the same with the profession and creating new roles for ourselves.

My opinion is we are very good at differentiating ourselves from one another but fail to do the same with the profession and creating new roles for ourselves.

Are you kidding? Pharmacists have created a lot of roles for themselves in the last 10-15 yrs or so. Prior to this it was either retail or hospital basement residency was uncommon and PGY2s didn't really exist. Retail pharmacists are providing a lot more services such as immunizations, drug monitoring, specialty pharmacies. Hospital pharmacists have moved into more clinical roles working directly with physicians in specialty areas.

Are you kidding? Pharmacists have created a lot of roles for themselves in the last 10-15 yrs or so. Prior to this it was either retail or hospital basement residency was uncommon and PGY2s didn't really exist. Retail pharmacists are providing a lot more services such as immunizations, drug monitoring, specialty pharmacies. Hospital pharmacists have moved into more clinical roles working directly with physicians in specialty areas.

I agree that roles have increased. I guess Im speaking more economically. I am under the impression that there is a huge push towards PGY2s (not even 1s anymore, really) without the reimbursement structure to compensate for these roles completely established yet.

I also graduated ~ 20 years ago with a B.S. in Pharmacy and returned to school for my PharmD just a few years ago. We needed 4 "professional" rotations to graduate from my PharmD program and they were a joke especially my hospital clinical rotation. If I had never worked hopsital, I would never consider hospital after that rotation. I worked for 4 of the largest, well-known teaching hospitals in NYC and was consider a "top" performing pharmacist doing clinical work of PharmD for almost 14 years and everyone of my colleagues (attendings, fellows, NP, etc.) thought I was a PharmD until I corrected them. I had 3 other young, pharmacy student in the same rotation and 2 other said they maybe interested in hospital but after that rotation, they all told me they were heading to retail position even though I told them our rotation does not reflect what a working pharmacist do in a real hospital setting. It was the most useless memorization of differnt microbes and antibiotics, journal reports, papers dues in 2 days; how will this make any inexperience pharmacist even functional?!!! I even questioned the preceptor's "information" she was feeding us and how she concluded certain articles from available data since I worked as a hopsital and oncology pharmacist longer than she was licensed. I also advised another pharmacy student I meet at another rotation to take a full-time staff pharmacist in an oncology center versus accepting a residency. 18 months after her graduation, I had the opportunity to see again and she told me she was so glad she did not do the residency and thank me for telling just by working she will gain all the experience without sacrificng the salary. I'm sure there are some great rotations and residencies but the preceptor makes the difference and there is really no substitute for actual clinical experience.

For the original poster, it may look bad on your resume for not completing a residency but the objective of the residency is experience and to get a great "job". If the residency is not giving you that then take the job offer but remember dropping the residency may be a factor in some of your future job offers.

I agree that roles have increased. I guess Im speaking more economically. I am under the impression that there is a huge push towards PGY2s (not even 1s anymore, really) without the reimbursement structure to compensate for these roles completely established yet.

Many of the readings available on post-grad training explicitly state that the completion of a residency and/or fellowship does not lead to a significantly higher salary. I knew that I was taking a pay cut when I chose to do a residency rather than take the sign-on bonus and six-figure salary that was offered to me by a retail chain; I also knew that I would likely never get that money back. You're right that there is no way at present to be compensated for your post-grad training, so the decision is really up to the individual to determine how important that factor is to them.

Many of the readings available on post-grad training explicitly state that the completion of a residency and/or fellowship does not lead to a significantly higher salary. I knew that I was taking a pay cut when I chose to do a residency rather than take the sign-on bonus and six-figure salary that was offered to me by a retail chain; I also knew that I would likely never get that money back. You're right that there is no way at present to be compensated for your post-grad training, so the decision is really up to the individual to determine how important that factor is to them.

Several of my classmates found that out the hard way about getting a Pharm.D., which at the time was 2 extra years of school. :oops: One place where I interviewed earlier this year said that some new grads are doing residencies simply so they will have a job, and interestingly, there was one place where I did a phone interview where none of the 3 or 4 people on this conference call knew what a PGY-1 was. :confused: I wasn't selected for a FTF interview, and I found out later from someone who has family in that city that I wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway.

where none of the 3 or 4 people on this conference call knew what a PGY-1 was. :confused:
Maybe it was the terminology. I'd find it hard to believe that even an old duffer wouldn't know about pharmacy residencies, especially one that is in the hospital setting. However, I can easily see somebody not knowing that PGY-1 refers to a residency.

Maybe it was the terminology. I'd find it hard to believe that even an old duffer wouldn't know about pharmacy residencies, especially one that is in the hospital setting. However, I can easily see somebody not knowing that PGY-1 refers to a residency.
That is weird. I think it speaks more to the people on the call than to the lack of value of a residency, but whatever.

I am not so sure that leaving this job would have any negative effects. In fact, you won't even have to list it in your work history since you got another job so quickly afterward. I'd just list the job you were hired for as your first job in the future. People do leave jobs all the time, don't see why anyone here is making a stink about it.

I am not so sure that leaving this job would have any negative effects. In fact, you won't even have to list it in your work history since you got another job so quickly afterward. I'd just list the job you were hired for as your first job in the future. People do leave jobs all the time, don't see why anyone here is making a stink about it.

Sigh.

Quitting a residency is NOT just like quitting any other job. Residents make a one year committment, and not being able to honor that is probably going to be seen as a big red flag. Not only that, but residency drop outs really leave their programs in the lurch. It's not like you can hire another resident in the middle of the year. I've got projects that I'm implementing and students I'm mentoring and classes I'm teaching. If I quit, it would be a challenge for my sites to redistribute my workload. It could be done, but it would be a PITA. I think it's probably the same for other programs.

That's exactly it. You made a commitment for a year. It's not like leaving a job. Someone didn't get a spot because you did and your employment is counted upon by your site. I'm not saying anyone should tolerate harassment or abuse, but if you're getting too much criticism, that's not reason to quit.

Except if they do a background check....past employers would show up. If you didn't list this as a place of employment...red flag.

This is the worst advice ever. Being honest is always the best.

Except if they do a background check....past employers would show up. If you didn't list this as a place of employment...red flag.

That sounds like a challenge. :laugh:

Umm no. what do you think shows up on a background check? what type of background check you think they are running? they are making sure you have no CRIMINAL HISTORY

Umm no. what do you think shows up on a background check? what type of background check you think they are running? they are making sure you have no CRIMINAL HISTORY

Google it.

Have you ever requested a copy of your background check? I highly suggest it. It shows previous employers, schooling, and criminal history. When you put in your information any and I mean ANY discrepancy its flagged. You put 14 an hour as your wage but you made 13.98. Flagged. It even shows discrepancies for start and end dates so if you can't remember all your work history, it will come up.

Clueless in healthcare HR practice of hiring aren't you. Sure criminal check is important since cms can withhold payment if any employee is on the OIG list. Basically if you're on the OIG list, you can kiss your healthcare career goodbye.

But the background check goes into much more depth today. I was called by a background check company to clarify a minute discrepancy in my work history..wrong month when I left a job I think.

Have you ever requested a copy of your background check? I highly suggest it. It shows previous employers, schooling, and criminal history. When you put in your information any and I mean ANY discrepancy its flagged. You put 14 an hour as your wage but you made 13.98. Flagged. It even shows discrepancies for start and end dates so if you can't remember all your work history, it will come up.

Do you know a common company used by healthcare employers? I've always been curious about what comes up. It would at least make sure I always put the right month I left a job, etc. :smuggrin:

Do you know a common company used by healthcare employers? I've always been curious about what comes up. It would at least make sure I always put the right month I left a job, etc. :smuggrin:

The background checks I have done did not include employment checks. I always request my own copy whenever I get one done (I have had two for school and two for my two employers) and they have all only been for criminal history, not employment.

Google it...answer will appear within seconds.;)

I did; I wasn't sure if it was something I should know off the top of my head or not.

OIG = Office of Inspector General.

The man who replaced me at the contract job I had this summer has a criminal and civil record a mile long, which includes multiple convictions for diversion of controlled substances and insurance fraud.:eek: AND THIS GUY GOT A JOB?!?!?!? Not my problem now, I know.

The background checks I have done did not include employment checks. I always request my own copy whenever I get one done (I have had two for school and two for my two employers) and they have all only been for criminal history, not employment.

It's also good to get two so you can see what they see. What happens if they run a check and reveal felonies that you never committed? It's happened before.

The man who replaced me at the contract job I had this summer has a criminal and civil record a mile long, which includes multiple convictions for diversion of controlled substances and insurance fraud.:eek: AND THIS GUY GOT A JOB?!?!?!? Not my problem now, I know.
How do you know this? Did you get a copy of his background check, or were you just an accomplice :smuggrin:

How do you know this? Did you get a copy of his background check, or were you just an accomplice :smuggrin:

Just because I could, I looked up his license, and hoo boy did I get an eyeful! Googling his name led to a link to a criminal case from the 1970s that was written up in a pharmacy law textbook (he's about 70 years old - maybe he got hired because they feared age discrimination?) and the state we live in has their court records online, going back to about 1980. Yep, he's got a long record there too, in both his personal and professional life.

:eek:

I too was wanting to quit my residency (PGY-1) about 2 weeks ago when I typed in google, "quiting my residency" and came across this thread. I was at the end of my rope. I am at the hospital from 6:30am-7pm (topic discussion starts 5-6 pm and lasts till 7-8pm), then go home and have mounting piles of journals and guidelines to read for the next days topic "discussion" which was really a 1-2 hour test over what I had read (medications, contraindications, dosing, you name it they fired it at me), not to mention weekly case presentations (formal presentation), 2 research projects (year long), monthly journal club (formal written and presented), monthly 1 hour presentation to the pharmacy staff and a few doctors, and monthly newsletter article (all of which are like tests because they fire questions at you, that you "should" know, and if you don't, look it up and email me back!. I was falling behind in everything and only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I started feeling really sick physically and mentally. I have a wife and kids, who noticed I was changing and having a tough time. I would have panic attacks on presentation days, and depression every other day. I typed up my resignation letter and was going to hand it in the next day, when I decided to stand up for myself, stop being a b*tch and tell them what I was "Really thinking" and what was "Really going on". I was suprised at the reaction. My mind had build up this fantasy how everyone was going to tell me that I was just being lazy, or that I was making excuses, and find some way to belittle me like they had done so much in the past. In reality they were very understanding and supported me in removing some of the load on my plate. One of the demands/requests was that if I am going to complete the tasks asked of me, I need to be done with topic discussion by 5:30pm so I can go and work on projects the rest of the night. They agreed and have made an effort to do that. The past few weeks have been great. I no longer hate everyone in the pharmacy, I no longer get sick walking into the hospital doors in the morning (still a little) and my preceptors even complemented me and said they have seen a better more prepared me in the past few weeks. I cut my self off at midnight now, unless its a huge presentation or something. If you look at the big picture it is wise to not quit your residency. The benifits of staying are better than the outcome of not staying. You just need to take a stand and not be a b*tch. Tell them your issues and what you are having trouble with. It was the most humbling experience of my life, but in the long run will be one of the most rewarding. Dont be a b*tch, tell them what you are having issues with and stake your claim. Life is sooooo much better now. I even watched a movie with my wife the other night, and friday night is now no work night. Your co- workers seem like the devil, but are people just like you. (Sorry for my spelling and run on sentences)

I too was wanting to quit my residency (PGY-1) about 2 weeks ago when I typed in google, "quiting my residency" and came across this thread. I was at the end of my rope. I am at the hospital from 6:30am-7pm (topic discussion starts 5-6 pm and lasts till 7-8pm), then go home and have mounting piles of journals and guidelines to read for the next days topic "discussion" which was really a 1-2 hour test over what I had read (medications, contraindications, dosing, you name it they fired it at me), not to mention weekly case presentations (formal presentation), 2 research projects (year long), monthly journal club (formal written and presented), monthly 1 hour presentation to the pharmacy staff and a few doctors, and monthly newsletter article (all of which are like tests because they fire questions at you, that you "should" know, and if you don't, look it up and email me back!. I was falling behind in everything and only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night. I started feeling really sick physically and mentally. I have a wife and kids, who noticed I was changing and having a tough time. I would have panic attacks on presentation days, and depression every other day. I typed up my resignation letter and was going to hand it in the next day, when I decided to stand up for myself, stop being a b*tch and tell them what I was "Really thinking" and what was "Really going on". I was suprised at the reaction. My mind had build up this fantasy how everyone was going to tell me that I was just being lazy, or that I was making excuses, and find some way to belittle me like they had done so much in the past. In reality they were very understanding and supported me in removing some of the load on my plate. One of the demands/requests was that if I am going to complete the tasks asked of me, I need to be done with topic discussion by 5:30pm so I can go and work on projects the rest of the night. They agreed and have made an effort to do that. The past few weeks have been great. I no longer hate everyone in the pharmacy, I no longer get sick walking into the hospital doors in the morning (still a little) and my preceptors even complemented me and said they have seen a better more prepared me in the past few weeks. I cut my self off at midnight now, unless its a huge presentation or something. If you look at the big picture it is wise to not quit your residency. The benifits of staying are better than the outcome of not staying. You just need to take a stand and not be a b*tch. Tell them your issues and what you are having trouble with. It was the most humbling experience of my life, but in the long run will be one of the most rewarding. Dont be a b*tch, tell them what you are having issues with and stake your claim. Life is sooooo much better now. I even watched a movie with my wife the other night, and friday night is now no work night. Your co- workers seem like the devil, but are people just like you. (Sorry for my spelling and run on sentences)
Great advice! :thumbup: