Residency Review Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts out there about the new program starting at SFGH in 2008? I'm applying for the entering class and wonder what the risks/benefits/perceptions are of a new program?

Do you know much about the structure of the program? Last I heard it's going to have more of a research component than your typical EM program, but I wasn't sure if that was merely an idea that was being tossed around. (Can't find anything to that effect on the website.)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah haven't heard too much about the program either (other than that its 1-4yr) and it seems that the website is still under construction regarding curriculum details. I wouldn't be surprised if the program is more research-based, considering its UCSF.

Seriously! I like my chances better when I think I'm the only one that loves it. :laugh:

Well, I guess I loved Cincy enough too, I ended up there as well! Honestly, it was my very last interview and I was so sick of flying I almost cancelled it--strange how things work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess I loved Cincy enough too, I ended up there as well! Honestly, it was my very last interview and I was so sick of flying I almost cancelled it--strange how things work out.

So what is that now, 8 or 9 of us that matched at Cinci who have been on SDN at some point? :)

So what is that now, 8 or 9 of us that matched at Cinci who have been on SDN at some point? :)

Yeah, that's pretty funny. I actually didn't join SDN until after the Match, one of my classmates mentioned there were quite a few Cincy people posting and I was curious...Can't wait to get started, anyway!

I would like to point out that though may said they would post after the match, few did. And now us MS4s that wanted a little extra source of info are stuck. Let's do better this year, ok guys? I mean, what is the chance that PDs have nothing better to do than surf this site and discriminate against someone expressing an honest opinion in a respectful manner?

h24g,

great post, very nice read

Disclaimer:

1) These reviews are only my opinion, they are not meant to convince anyone of anything - writing it out is a way I spend time thinking about and evaluating the programs, and posting them is my repayment for those who posted before me.

2) As such, my focus is on what I’m personally looking for in a program – there are some aspects that are more important to me than others – they are not meant as a total review of the program. Furthermore, like any good politician, I reserve my right to change my mind about these things at any time :D

3) What’s more important to me: Location – will Mrs. UE and I be happy living here (this includes financial issues; cost of living). Gut feel – will I be happy working here (this includes my opinion of resident happiness and the facilities). Curriculum – this reflects the program’s philosophy of EM training – will I get enough ultrasound experience? Will I feel comfortable with Peds? Research/Leadership –I want to train in an environment that will expose me to these things.

4) What’s less important to me: Big-Name Reputation – never mattered to me before, won’t matter now. Didactics – unless they’re awful or there’s a history of residents not passing the boards. Length (3yr vs. 4yr) – I’m trying hard to not let this be a factor, but you gotta offer me something better than more off-service months in that extra year! Trauma – I want to feel comfortable with it - and the more experience the better - but I’m not going out of my way for the knife’n’gun clubs.

5) Some reviews will be long, some will be short. This has no bearing on how much I liked or disliked a program – it has more to do with how much time I spent there, and how much time I have to write about it.

6) I do not have an English degree. I am writing free-form as I think. Therefore, short sentences, sentence fragments, and random words that make no sense at all are likely to occur. For those who are bothered by this, please don’t take offense...

Anyone know anything about the MSU/Synergy program in Saginaw, MI

Will try to write up a review of Cincinnati, which right now is my number 1....but with many interviews left to go, in the next few days. All I can say is WOW.

did an away there, and I still feel the same way about cincy even after 9 interviews....sigh, but i'll never get the girlfriend to go there....

I'm working on reviews and i'll post before i leave for more interviews on weds.

Funny how things worked out! Also fun to re-read all my reviews...looks like I never did get to do my review of Maryland, GW, or Carolinas but there are some others. Anyone can ask me about them from if you want.

My bad...actually just saw a review from January of this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please post regarding the 3 programs in VA (i.e. VCU vs UVA vs EVMS)? A good review comparing the 3 would be very helpful. Thanks.

Matt
scmedicmd

Any thoughts/reviews on Maimonides and Albert Einstein Beth Israel? From their websites...it seems as though Einstein has good community ED and NY trauma exposure, whereas Maimonides sends their residents to Shock Trauma and doesn't have much outside community ED exposure (all blocks are concentrated at Maimonides). Can anyone clarify/confirm this? SOLID!!:hardy:

Hey,

Has anyone rotated through or have any input about the Beth Israel Medical Center program in NYC? Someone told me it was a joke and I could not get them to go into details as to why... thanks!

:sleep:to be quite honest, this icon has no relevence to my posting, but it was so damn cute, i thought, why the hell not...anyway, thanks again.

Hey,

Has anyone rotated through or have any input about the Beth Israel Medical Center program in NYC? Someone told me it was a joke and I could not get them to go into details as to why... thanks!

:sleep:to be quite honest, this icon has no relevence to my posting, but it was so damn cute, i thought, why the hell not...anyway, thanks again.

Uh, what do you mean by "someone told you it was a joke? :confused: That's not a very smart way to ask a question if you are looking for a real information on a place. I'm sure residents from that program read this board occasionally and would not be motivated to tell you about their program after such a crass statement.:smuggrin:

For anyone who is post-shy or worried about anonymity (like me)... the password to this username is 2008emreviews. Feel free to use.

I must say I'm pretty dissapointed at the lack of interview reviews. I, and others, spent a bunch of time posting reviews to help future candidates out. I really thank those that have been contributing. There are still a bunch of programs that have yet to be mentioned.

I must say I'm pretty dissapointed at the lack of interview reviews. I, and others, spent a bunch of time posting reviews to help future candidates out. I really thank those that have been contributing. There are still a bunch of programs that have yet to be mentioned.

I'm planning on following in your footsteps Dr. Will, but I scheduled all my interviews for January. I've read all of your reviews about three times so I know how important this is.

For historical interest, the original EM residency in DC was Georgetown, who then added George Washington, who then dropped Georgetown. I don't know all the details or dates, but it's pretty obvious that the volume at GT, by itself, isn't enough for a residency program. Economics was probably part of it too--before Medstar financially rescued GT, there was a lot of talk of GT Hospital and med school closing in the late 90s. Once Medstar rescued GT fiscally and provided Washington Hospital Center as a place for training, Georgetown EM could finally emerge from the history books.

Wow UE, I was just about to write a review for ORMC since I rotated and interviewed there and you beat me to it. No sense in repeating bc you hit everything right on the nail. :D

St Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center

Didactics/Research: Didactics are once a week – residents said they are pretty boring. There is a lot of research done here, both clinical and basic science. The basic science stuff is mostly toxicology, although there are some other projects. There is a lot of clinical research, and they have undergrad “academic associates” to do the paperwork. There are a bunch of Fellows, including ultrasound, tox, global medicine, and research/education (SDN’s own Roja! I met her on the Jitney :D), so there are many ongoing projects. They are very supportive of residents presenting abstracts, as well as residents with academic interests – the niche program helps link interested residents with the proper support.
QUOTE]

Sorry I was so out of it. I was suffering severe jet lag after a trip to the west coast and a weekend of overnights. i don't function well on 4 hours of sleep! :cool:

Emory
[-] Surgery does all the trauma team activation FAST scans, which I feel like is an important thing for an ED resident to become comfortable with. They say that there are enough traumas where the trauma team isn't activated that the ED residents get enough FAST experience. Grady's financial situation is shaky...supposedly being resolved and everyone says it can't close, but I remember hearing the same thing about MLK.

I think this may be changing soon. I won't mention specifics, but I think someone I know is about to sign on as faculty at Emory and will be heading up their ultrasound program. More on this later.

I read the previous posts about the pros and cons of Carolinas Medical Center... and one of the major criticisms is that there are so many off service months at this program that are not in the ICU or ED. Any CMC residents out there to comment on what they think of this?

Also, would you have preferred an orientation month in your intern year?

What is your favorite thing about your program (besides your awesome colleagues)?

Thanks!!!:)

i actually think it's cool residents are putting in their own two cents about their programs so keep them coming!

i actually think it's cool residents are putting in their own two cents about their programs so keep them coming!
If enough people PM me, I will repost it. I've asked Quinn to remove my post from his quote because I didn't realize this was primarily for interviewees to review programs. However, I am not sure that is the best way to learn about a program.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but could someone comment on Highland's 1st year curriculum? I know they have that 4 week block of unpaid vacation at the end of the year, to be made up at the end of 4th year.... but is there paid vacation throughout the first year as well? Or are you literally going through 12 straight months with no break? The website didn't make this clear, and I didn't write it down during interview day.

Thanks!

I have an interview coming up with New York Hospital at Queens. Can someone offer a review on their program?

It seems that this thread is for interviewees to post their impression of the places they've been invited to interview. Not sure if it will help, but try posting on the thread I started - Questions for residents about their residency programs - maybe you'll get a few bites. :)

Happy Holidays

It seems that this thread is for interviewees to post their impression of the places they've been invited to interview. Not sure if it will help, but try posting on the thread I started - Questions for residents about their residency programs - maybe you'll get a few bites. :)

Happy Holidays

I think it should be any and all reviews from any perspective, just with full disclosure (ie, PGY#, rotated there, visited for interview)...This thread is a veritable treasure trove of info! :thumbup:

:confused: Does anyone have more feedback about VCU Richmond or Norfolk? I am curious about program details as well as info about these cities.

Thanks! :)

Johns Hopkins:

Conclusion: I liked this program. I can’t imagine why they only match 10 of the 11 spots last year and had to scramble to fill the last spot, but this is of some concern to me because it does hurt their reputation in EM circles from the people I’ve talked to. ...

FORREALZ!? I'm surprised to hear this, and kind of wondering what else they left out. Anyone familiar with the program care to elaborate? Did they not rank enough people?

FORREALZ!? I'm surprised to hear this, and kind of wondering what else they left out. Anyone familiar with the program care to elaborate? Did they not rank enough people?

talking to the residents on my interview day, they mentioned one person dropped out before starting residency...so they ended up scambling last minute to match a person who was at family med but wanted to switch out her 2nd year to e-med. maybe that might explain the mismatch??? i dont' know if that was the case you were talking about or something different. anyway, i had a pretty good impression of the program that day. well run and the residents seemed happy

Does anybody have more info about John hopkins' 4 year program and their fellowship opportunity. Do they have the expertise in the areas mentioned on the website?

mikecwru, not sure if you are an attending or resident: but trying to justify each point posted by somebody else and being irritated at that person, sounds defensive. It's not helping your cause. Even if that person has had limited contact with you guys, but just like one chance us students get to impress you, one chance is all you get to impress us students. I don't see many posts being positive about your residency.
:thumbdown:

I am attending. It IS defensive. I don't have a cause, or a desire to change applications, etc. But some of the comments don't have a lot of basis in fact.
So, the reply. As far as I know, one of the residents used to be on SDN and no other attendings.

Kind of the point of a discussion forum.

Don't worry. I don't check SDN much anymore, and will likely stop it altogether. Like most of the other attendings leaving the place in droves.
(I'm too busy flogging the residents and abusing them.)

I am attending. It IS defensive. I don't have a cause, or a desire to change applications, etc. But some of the comments don't have a lot of basis in fact.
So, the reply. As far as I know, one of the residents used to be on SDN and no other attendings.

Kind of the point of a discussion forum.

Don't worry. I don't check SDN much anymore, and will likely stop it altogether. Like most of the other attendings leaving the place in droves.
(I'm too busy flogging the residents and abusing them.)

Please don't leave us! I think most of the obnoxious comments are from infrequent flyers. Can't we all just get along? :(

i am going crazy trying to rank these programs!!!!!!! ayiyiyiyi!

We actually have a good bit of our faculty from outside the program - I'd say probably 50% didn't train here.

Are you sure? When I interviewed there I specifically asked this question, and was told that it was more like 70/30. Not that it really matters - a lot of great programs are like this. I enjoyed my day there.

Are you sure? When I interviewed there I specifically asked this question, and was told that it was more like 70/30. Not that it really matters - a lot of great programs are like this. I enjoyed my day there.

Among the permanent faculty at our 3 main hospitals, the breakdown (based on my admittedly quick screen from the top of my head and info available on our website) is currently 24 from the residency, 21 from outside.

I'm one of the PGY-II Pitt residents and I wanted to respond to a couple of things in this review. Most of the material included in this review is factually correct, but I remember as an applicant that I would comb over every little tidbit I could find about my top programs and I want anyone considering Pitt to get the most accurate info. I'm also available for PM if anyone has further questions. I made a few corrections/observations below:

Thank you for participating in this thread! It is a great service to those of us considering Pitt. I apologize for the inaccuracies - Pitt is obviously a wonderful program and I didn't mean to screw up the review. I have edited my original post above in case no one sees your corrections/observations. :)

Disclosure: This is my home program, so I have rotated and interviewed. I rotated at an outside hospital called Misericordia, or “Mercy Hospital of Philadelphia (MHOP),” which is one of the residents favorites (along with Mercy Fitzgerald) and a real gem of this residency.

Program: Drexel University (formerly MCP Hahnemann, in the tradition of Women’s Medical college, and about a million other names)

Residents: Standard easy going EM people. Mix of families and singles, although with emphasis on singles. Very active socially as a group.

Faculty: I did not rotate at the main hospital, but at an affiliate. The faculty there are a mix of community oriented docs who like to be very hands on and primary their own patients as well as more academically minded faculty who will sit down with you to discus a case or give you a pearl. Great folks to work with. They let me see a ton of patients and do my own procedures. With some of them you have to be aggressive about you plan or they will just write the orders themselves. There are a couple faculty at Hahnemann who the residents and students don’t like working with but in general they are pretty laid back and great to work with. At Hahnemann they are less busy and the patients are a little less sick so these tend to be you more academically minded faculty.

Facility: Lots of hospitals. As an intern you are the junior at Hahnemann – a pretty new, modern ED with the glass doors and lots of hard wall space. Computer labs, PACS, and past medical but paper charts. MHOP is older and less modern with most everything being done on paper save PACS. I didn’t see M-Fitz but I imagine it’s in between Hahnemann and MHOP in terms of amenities. No pod systems at either. St. Chris for Peds. The hospitals are within about 20 minutes of each other. The Hahemann, Mercy, and St Chris faculty are separate.

Ancillary Services: Not great at Hahnemann, but not as bad as what you hear about at the hard core county places. You won’t be starting IV’s or wheeling patients, but you’ll also notice that some of the nurses don’t move too fast. Generally better at the community sites. It’s hard to find good nurses in Philly and there are a lot of hospitals competing for them. At MHOP, they would do IVs, NG tubes, etc and were pretty quick about it except when the place got slammed.

Patients: At MHOP they are super super sick – some of the sickest that you’ll ever meet. Tons of DKA, GI bleeders, gangsta style trauma dropoffs (although I never saw any but I’m told it does happen. MHOP is not a trauma center), HIV, Hep C, ingestions, change in mental status. That’s all mixed in with your bread and butter stuff. It’s an awesome mix of pathology. Hahnemann – more tertiary care population, patients with weird diseases that are difficult to pronounce, and then your homeless-BS-cold-want a sandwich patients. Hahnemann is the only trauma center in the Drexel system so that’s where you get you trauma patients. MFitz – slightly more suburban but not much, didn’t rotate there. St Chris – mostly bread and butter with a smattering of the more complex patients. Most of the really complex stuff is going to go to CHOP. Good peds trauma exposure in the summer. At all the hospitals – large African American population of course. Some of the patients are not particularly appreciative of the hard work you are doing for them.

Clinical Training:
The Mercy hospitals are the crown jewel of this program and you spend you entire R2 year as well as a few R3 months and 6 critical care months there. EM is relatively new at Hahnemann. MCP (Medical College of Pennsylvania) closed a few years ago and it was a real loss to the program for the following reasons: the hospital served a very sick yet diverse population, most of the other residencies were not based here, and EM had been there since 1972. EM was king at that hospital. Now, EM has been at Hahnemann for only a few years and this is where all the major university residencies such as surgery and internal medicine are based. Surgery runs all traumas as far as I could tell with EM alternating the airway day/night with anesthesia. EM also does the FAST exams and reads EKGs. There is also an internal medicine senior stationed in the ED to work up all the medicine admits before they go to their respective service so they have quite a presence in the ED as well. So Hahnemann is not where you’re getting to get the “king of the hospital feel.” Fortunately you will get that at the Mercy hospitals and during your critical care months so I think this balances out. The only thing lost here is experience running traumas. You get some a the Mercy hospitals due to gangster style dropoffs but you don’t rotate with the trauma service or alternate running traumas with them at Hahnemann. The faculty, save 2, are great at Hahnemann and there are a few big names still there – for instance, Dr. Wagner who helped start the specialty. Most of the older, famous people don’t work many shifts, however. During your senior year you are back at Hahnemann and I can’t comment on whether or not they get supervisory experience there.

Didactic Training: Pretty good. Interactive. The first 90 minutes are in an oral board format where the senior has a case and the intern has to ask the senior questions about the case, then develop a ddx and plan. A lot of people really like this, but I actually prefer a critical case conference. The rest of the didactics are pretty well done and blocked out on one day.

Peds: At St Chris, which is a much smaller peds hospital than CHOP and sort of lives in it’s shadow. The peds experience here is great, however – it’s a busy place and you’ll see lots of patients. There’s a peds EM fellowship there – they take both Peds and EM trained residents. I think most of the faculty are pediatricians but don’t quote me on that. You also have peds mixed in at the Mercy Hospitals. St. Chris is a peds trauma center and although the trauma volume isn’t going to blow you away, it’s good. There aren’t as many fellows here as there are at the more high power peds academic centers, so I think you’ll be doing more.

U/S: I don’t really know since I didn’t rotate at Hahnemann, but they do have a U/S fellowship.

Research
: MCP was very productive, then things dropped as the program was dealing with the challenge of restructuring during the Allegheny debacle and loss of MCP. About half the faculty at Hahnemann have strong research interests and they do require each resident to join a research group.

Other Curriculum Stuff
: They’ve got fellowships in tox, U/S, and Peds. The critical care experience is a gem and is probably better than 90% of programs out there. You get 6 months, and you are the only residents in the general critical care unit at MHOP which is staffed by a private group. Residents say they get a ton of intubations, chest tubes, etc. Residents are very proud of this part of the program.

Location: It’s Philadelphia. Pros are very sick patients, affordable city living compared to NYC or Boston, awesome BYOB restaurants, awesome bars, the city is small and easy to navigate, the beach is 1 hour away, the Poconos are within reach for mediocre hiking and skiing. Cons are that Philly is a gritty city, people pride themselves on being a little rough, the traffic on I-76 (nice PA suburbs) is horrible due to the fact that it is the main artery from the city to the burbs yet has only 2 lanes each direction.

Strengths: critical care, super sick patients at Mercy affiliates, laid back group of residents that are more single and more socially active than many, huge variety of hospitals and therefore variety of patients from bread and butter to super sick to tertiary care.

Weaknesses: EM is still gaining a foothold at Hahnemann. Research – while the faculty have a lot of interests, this is a part of the program that they are rebuilding.

Rotation Specifics: My Rotation at MHOP was spectacular for being exposed to EM in charge and very sick patients. However, some of the attendings were more community oriented and not so interested in teaching so didn’t push me to develop a plan. On the other hand, others would sit down with me and give me personal mini-lectures. I got to really push myself, see lots of patients, and have a lot of responsibility. I missed getting to know the faculty at Hahnemann, who are the real movers and shakers within the residency.

Overall: Solid program with great critical care experience and good variety of training sites.

Wallowa knows this program much better than I do, in fact I learned more about the program when I reread his review than I did when I was there! I won't try to insult anyone, therefore by trying to elaborate. You do walk out of this interview feeling like this is a solid program that will train you to be a good EM doc.

I'm one of the DG interns. WW has done some very thorough reviews, and should be thanked--those amount to a lot of work.

Before interview season last year, I was not convinced of the utility of a 4th year. I ranked Denver #1, and the next 5 or so were 3 yr programs. In my estimation then and now, it was worth it to have our very solid intern year and our outstanding senior experience. Since the latter is covered in other reviews, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on our intern year (and hopefully avert any anaphylactoid reactions!):

* 2 wards months (1 w/ night float, the other shift based & ~q6)
* 1 gen surg month (do trauma where EE Moore works, OR time optional)
* 3 unit months (2 MICU, 1 Burn ICU): lots of lines, autonomy, sepsis; sick burn pts (generally go to the Burn OR, Burn call is from home); you'll do Trauma/SICU 2nd year
* Anesthesia: super chill, outpt surgeries, ~1 tube per hour, Mon-Fri, out by 10am; you're the designated "intern social coordinator" this month
* 3 EM months: 2 DG, 1 Univ; 14 shifts each
* 1 month Neurosurgery: great trauma consults, do BOLT's, lots of CT reading, OR optional
* 1 month Peds Surgery: great way to see actually sick kids, do lines in the OR, otherwise OR time optional
* 3 weeks (1 per EM month), and 1 week between EM1 and EM2 year where all interns are off (read: group trip to Vegas, Mexico, or destination of choice!)

I'll check back to see if there are any pm questions. Best of luck making rank lists and in the match!

Wadoc - Thanks for adding the detail about the intern year. Now, if you can just send some positive mental energy to the higher ups regarding my position on their list!:D

That is half of the residencies I saw. I will try and post the other 5 shortly.

have looked back over the this thread since pg1, nobody has said anything about Beth Israel-Manhattan (Albert Einstein program). anybody? anybody? Others not mentioned im interested in: Methodist Hosp in NY

Ford is awesome. I interviewed there as well and was very impressed. I was lucky enough to spend some time in the department with Manny Rivers while I was there, which was a blast. But more importantly, I got to meet the esteemed kbrown during lunch!

what - no wallowa review????