Residency Review Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what - no wallowa review????

Patience . . . I still have to catch up on my thank you notes, which I am doing in the form of utube videos.

I think I have about 10 reviews to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Ford is awesome. I interviewed there as well and was very impressed. I was lucky enough to spend some time in the department with Manny Rivers while I was there, which was a blast. But more importantly, I got to meet the esteemed kbrown during lunch!
Blush :cool:

Anyone visited/interviewed in Oregon yet? I am looking at going to a program that has awesome outdoor -type stuff to take advantage of in my time off and I have lived about everywhere except the northwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Termwean, tried to PM you but it said you weren't accepting them.
VAcoug

The R1 year is basically a Medicine prelim:

1 month ID, many, many floor months, 3 months in the ED; the only difference between the Cook County IM prelim and the R1 for EM is that they don't have to do a month of out patient clinic:

5-6 rotations of general medicine inpatient care
1 rotation of MICU
1 rotation of ER
1 rotation of HIV inpatient ward
3-4 rotations of other electives
1 four-week block of vacation

Ouch, that sounds painful.

Thanks Vacoug...I had just changed my email address and hadn't verified it. It should work whenever you get the chance to try again.

Termwean, tried to PM you but it said you weren't accepting them.
VAcoug

Anyone visited/interviewed in Oregon yet? I am looking at going to a program that has awesome outdoor -type stuff to take advantage of in my time off and I have lived about everywhere except the northwest.

I didn't interview at OHSU, but I've lived in Washington and Oregon and I think there are better places for outdoors access. It's pretty wet there which limits your time on the rock. Whenever I would have a weekend off, the weather would inevitably be bad. Portland is an awesome town though and the volcanoes make for great mountaineering.

Not like you asked, but I'm sure you know all the spots: Davis, Fresno, Tuscon, Vegas, SLC, Denver, ABQ. Don't write of the east, for paddling especially - Albany (skiing 15 min away, Daks 1 hour, Gunks 1 hour), WV (insane whitewater), Maine (Acadia), Pittsburgh (hey don't laugh, great rivers and biking), Charlotte (great paddling and climbing - whitewater park in town), Atlanta (short drive to Smokey's), and last but not least . . . drum role please . . . of all place, Ohio. Yeah, I know . . . it's Ohio. But, you've got western PA and WV just to the east and the Red River Gorge just to the south. Not bad. A true revelation when I looked at a map. Please protect this information from anyone interested in Cincinnati this year. Kentucky's got some good stuff too, but then you have to say you live in Kentucky. Nashville's not very close to the mountains, but you're two hours to the T wall and the Ocoee in Chatanooga. Now Living in Chattanooga, that would be the prize.

Ok, I'm bored.

hahaha...thanks, great reply! Thanks for the info on Oregon....temps look great..but if you can't do anything without getting rained on....where's the fun in that.

I didn't interview at OHSU, but I've lived in Washington and Oregon and I think there are better places for outdoors access. It's pretty wet there which limits your time on the rock. Whenever I would have a weekend off, the weather would inevitably be bad. Portland is an awesome town though and the volcanoes make for great mountaineering.

Not like you asked, but I'm sure you know all the spots: Davis, Fresno, Tuscon, Vegas, SLC, Denver, ABQ. Don't write of the east coast, for paddling especially - Albany, WV, Maine, Pittsburgh (hey don't laugh, great rivers and biking), Charlotte, Atlanta (short drive to Smokey's), and last but not least . . . drum role please . . . of all place, Ohio. Yeah, I know . . . it's Ohio. But, you've got western PA and WV just to the east and the Red River Gorge just to the south. Not bad. A true revelation when I looked at a map. Please protect this information from anyone interested in Cincinnati this year. Kentucky's got some good stuff too, but then you have to say you live in Kentucky.

Ok, I'm bored.

I am only in the 2nd half of my 3rd yr and am already so excited about matching and moving on to a residency.

. . . drum role please . . . of all place, Ohio. Yeah, I know . . . it's Ohio. But, you've got western PA and WV just to the east and the Red River Gorge just to the south. Not bad. A true revelation when I looked at a map. Please protect this information from anyone interested in Cincinnati this year.

I didn't even consider it when I thought about Cinci, but you're right. Red River Gorge was one of the best weekends my fiancee and I (plus dogs) have had. Once the winter is over, it's off to WV for some white water rafting. There are also 3 places for skiing/snowboarding within 2 hours of here, but they aren't known to be great for it. And as you mentioned, Western PA isn't that far either and probably has one of the better areas for outdoor activities near the east coast. I'd love to go do some snowmobiling there but I probably won't be able to make it this year.

I didn't even consider it when I thought about Cinci, but you're right. Red River Gorge was one of the best weekends my fiancee and I (plus dogs) have had. Once the winter is over, it's off to WV for some white water rafting. There are also 3 places for skiing/snowboarding within 2 hours of here, but they aren't known to be great for it. And as you mentioned, Western PA isn't that far either and probably has one of the better areas for outdoor activities near the east coast. I'd love to go do some snowmobiling there but I probably won't be able to make it this year.

Hey now, save it for after Rank order lists are due! Solid Gold - Did I meet you when I was in Cinci? PM me.

hi, im one of the intermediates at cook county, and for the most part, everything is fairly accurate. the whole conversion of the program from a 2-4 to a 1-4 is going to be interesting, to say the least. i know alot of it hasnt been fully worked out yet, and if it has, it hasnt been conveyed to us (because it really doesnt matter to the residents). but, one thing i do have to say, is that i REALLY trust our faculty leadership in developing an excellent curriculum. i think the program will only offer you a stronger, more consistent training, by becoming a 1-4.

i guess other things, the nursing isnt that horrible. yes, sometimes it is. and there are the bad nurses, but im sure almost every county hospital has them.

trauma, we do 4 weeks as a jr, 6 weeks as an intermediate, and 4 weeks as a senior. by the time you're a senior (and often times as an intermediate) you are running the front trauma resus room, and staff them directly with the trauma attg. it's a good team approach, and for the most part, the trauma attgs appreciate what we bring to the table. and seriously, our trauma attgs are some of the national leaders, in terms of the amount of literature produced, so you get great teaching.

anyways, if you (or anyone else) has more questions about the cook county program, feel free to PM me.

Thanks so much for the clarification! It's really hard to get a complete feel for a program when you are interviewing there for a few hours!

Hey now, save it for after Rank order lists are due! Solid Gold - Did I meet you when I was in Cinci? PM me.

Probably not. His own class of 'terns hasn't seen him in months either. :laugh: I'm glad for SDN...I now know he's alive and accounted for. :laugh: Darn MICU.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey,

Unless you interviewed sometime in December, we probably didn't meet. I've been at the VA MICU this month so I haven't been able to participate much with the pre-interview dinner. It's a great rotation and I've learned a lot. You should have gotten an email from me though as I volunteered to email all the applicants to follow up and see if you had any more questions. I hope making up the ROL doesn't become too stressful, the top and bottom is usually easy, it's the middle that takes a lot of thought. Just remember that the vast majority of people match in their top 3. Let me know if you need anything!

Andrew

Does anyone know how many shifts they do while in the ED at Hennepin for PGY1-3?

I thought I remembered hearing that they were doing 26 shifts per month during PGY3. Could this be right?

G1's work 18-22 9 hour (mostly) shifts per month.

G2's work 20-22 9 hour (mostly) shifts per month.

G3's work 20-24 8 hour shifts per month. I have had one or two months with more (ie 26) due to sick leave, family leave etc. But this is the exception not the rule.

We do work hard, no lie, but it pays off. I love it. Three years, great training.

G1's work 18-22 9 hour (mostly) shifts per month.

G2's work 20-22 9 hour (mostly) shifts per month.

G3's work 20-24 8 hour shifts per month. I have had one or two months with more (ie 26) due to sick leave, family leave etc. But this is the exception not the rule.

We do work hard, no lie, but it pays off. I love it. Three years, great training.

Thank you for the response! I thought your program looked awesome.

I just wanted to take a quick second and thank all of the people who have participated in this thread (students and residents alike.) As a third year who's pretty much set on EM, it's really fun to take a few minutes here or there to learn about programs I may have never even thought of.

Thanks again...

Would anyone care to post reviews on LAC+USC or UC San Diego? I'm interested in these two programs and would love to see reviews on them.

i saw this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=487498

now im confused. is this going to affect training at new york presbyterian? are residents going to lose control over patient decisions? for those not up on the news:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gn7nIqTvF7zSx6NAjqcHp5xD5AUAD8U731IG0
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/01/16/man_sues_after_rectal_exam_arrest/4468/
http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1200826813292300.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

im concerned. i was going to rank them highly - two great institutions, nyc, long hours but rewarding - but this looks serious :-( any thoughts?

i saw this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=487498

now im confused. is this going to affect training at new york presbyterian? are residents going to lose control over patient decisions? for those not up on the news:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gn7nIqTvF7zSx6NAjqcHp5xD5AUAD8U731IG0
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2008/01/16/man_sues_after_rectal_exam_arrest/4468/
http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1200826813292300.xml&coll=1&thispage=1

im concerned. i was going to rank them highly - two great institutions, nyc, long hours but rewarding - but this looks serious :-( any thoughts?

Surely you jest, this is nothing. Besides, there is a whole thread on the "sodomy" charges. Please go check it out and post your question there if you must, cause this thread shouldn't be diluted with non-residency review stuff. Please, no one reply to this topic in this thread. Thank you :)

"Please, no one reply to this topic in this thread. "

'scuse me for asking a stupid question. i thought it was legit. if u remember libby zion and the bell commission, that went down at cornell too, had implications for all residencies. i put this out there cuz it seems kinda naive to think that there were no implications for the cornell im classes that entered right after the fallout.

if we're arguing over whether st. luke's is a party program, this is a fair "dilution." but whatever you say snoop dogg intern. i enjoy reading your reviews.

"Please, no one reply to this topic in this thread. "

'scuse me for asking a stupid question. i thought it was legit. if u remember libby zion and the bell commission, that went down at cornell too, had implications for all residencies. i put this out there cuz it seems kinda naive to think that there were no implications for the cornell im classes that entered right after the fallout.

if we're arguing over whether st. luke's is a party program, this is a fair "dilution." but whatever you say snoop dogg intern. i enjoy reading your reviews.

No offense. It's nothing against you personally. Besides correcting things said in the reviews, everything on this thread should be a review. I never said your question was stupid, sorry if it came off that way. But seems like your post could be a thread in and of its own, and I didn't want to see this thread get derailed AGAIN. You have to remember there are a lot of crazed 4th yrs that click on this thread everytime there's a new post because they think there is a new review. Please start a different thread or add to the other one and I promise I will the the first to respond :love:

(of course, with all this back and forth I have caused the very derailment I was trying to avoid :p)

I'd just like to second a request for a San Diego review; I haven't seen a lot of commentary on the program in the last few years via search.

Hello everyone,

I'm a third year who wants to go into EMED, and my fiancee is a fourth year who's trying to make her match list for a different field. Right now she wants to rank Dallas number 1. The problem is that if she ranks it first, I'm going to have to try and follow her there for my EMED residency, but I have no clue how their program is/if their residents get adequate training. Does anyone have any thoughts, or did anyone interview there? Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I'm a third year who wants to go into EMED, and my fiancee is a fourth year who's trying to make her match list for a different field. Right now she wants to rank Dallas number 1. The problem is that if she ranks it first, I'm going to have to try and follow her there for my EMED residency, but I have no clue how their program is/if their residents get adequate training. Does anyone have any thoughts, or did anyone interview there? Thanks.

Parkland has an excellent reputation. Like most county programs, it's a zoo, but you'll be an EM cowboy/rockstar coming out of there. The main question is if you want to train in a county ED.

i'll be posting some reviews later on tonight, let me know which reviews would be most useful of the following:
-umass, bmc, bi
-brown, yale, hopkins, uconn
-usc, harbor, OV, ucsf, stanford, highland
-jacobi, luke's, nyu

i interviewed and/or rotated @ these places

University of Chicago: I enjoyed the interview there with the PD and faculty. PD was very approachable! Did not rotate here. one of the top tier programs in my opinion. You work a 3 places, hence, getting a variety in your experience. Heard great things about mt.sinai rotation. Residents get lots of procedure especially at Mt.sinai i have heard. Good CV research going on at UC. Hey it's Chicago!

Case-western/Metrohealth: Interviewed and rotated at this joint. Combined program with cleveland clinic. I rotated at the metrohealth side. My interview went well. I especially enjoyed my interview with some of the faculty from the Cleveland clinic as it was fun, and most of the faculty joke and very laid back; they do like to name drop that cleveland clinic as one of the best hospitals in the country. I enjoyed the faculty when we toured the cleveland clinic. My rotation at metrohealth was ok; faculty don't usually joke that much, and don't look like they are enjoying work. My ideal place would be where people are enjoying work and are having fun while being at work. After all it's EM, that's why we are going into this field instead of being surgical slaves. Watch out for the program director, from the shifts and teaching conferences, a total bully; usually threatening to residents, who look afraid of him and unhappy overall. The PD uses sarcasm to be judgmental about decision making of residents that is quite degrading. They do have nice teaching rounds everyday at 11 am during shifts for 10 mins. Busy ED, probably 90-100K at metrohealth side, and 60K at cleveland clinic side. Both sides have a very similar electronic record keeping so don't have to learn 2 completely separate systems. Lot's of trauma experience can be a plus or minus.

Maimonides: Did not rotate, did interview. Their chairman is one of the old school guys/founder of EM field. Pretty good EMS system that services the program. I think they have subsidized housing. Don't like Yankees. The hospital is in a nice neighborhood. Not much trauma. Not much else to say.

I would like to see ones on Jacobi, St. Luke's, Yale, Hopkins, BIDMC.

Thanks for all the great reviews!! Promise to do my part next year!

i'll be posting some reviews later on tonight, let me know which reviews would be most useful of the following:
-umass, bmc, bi
-brown, yale, hopkins, uconn
-usc, harbor, OV, ucsf, stanford, highland
-jacobi, luke's, nyu

i interviewed and/or rotated @ these places

See the bold please...thanks!

I would like to see ones on Jacobi, St. Luke's, Yale, Hopkins, BIDMC.

Thanks for all the great reviews!! Promise to do my part next year!

I'm pretty sure all of these have been reviewed at least once this year (I know I did two of them), scroll back a few pages :) On another note, I feel like it should be an unwritten rule that any MS4 posting a request for reviews should have to review the places they've been in return - two way street people!! :rolleyes: (vtucci, I know you're an MS3 so this isn't aimed at you)

The password for the 2008 EM Reviews username has been changed. It was being misused by people wanting to post anonymously. The new password can be obtained by people who agree to use it SOLELY to post discussion about emergency medicine programs. Just PM this account and the new password will be sent to you.

I'm pretty sure all of these have been reviewed at least once this year (I know I did two of them), scroll back a few pages :) On another note, I feel like it should be an unwritten rule that any MS4 posting a request for reviews should have to review the places they've been in return - two way street people!! :rolleyes: (vtucci, I know you're an MS3 so this isn't aimed at you)

Thanks Universe_Explorer. I know some of these programs have already been reviewed but I always like to hear multiple opinions. Sometimes we focus on different things when we visit programs so any new tidbit is like gold. :)

Can we get some reviews on more of the osteopathic programs? I seem to not be finding too many for some reason.

This topic is slightly long to be terribly useful. What it needs is a mod or some intrepid soul to link all the progams reviews to a list that can be found on one page. IE, starting a new thread and then linking to the posts here.
Of course, this idea is a little late this year, but think of all the time people will have to do it between now and next September.

This topic is slightly long to be terribly useful. What it needs is a mod or some intrepid soul to link all the progams reviews to a list that can be found on one page. IE, starting a new thread and then linking to the posts here.
Of course, this idea is a little late this year, but think of all the time people will have to do it between now and next September.
If someone's willing to forward the links to me via PM, or at least get started on it, I'll do just that. :D

If someone's willing to forward the links to me via PM, or at least get started on it, I'll do just that. :D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

If the project isn't done by this summer, I am willing to help.

Hi I am a 3rd year scheduling EM rotations and I can't find any recent info on UIC. If there is a review I missed can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

typo

Last edited:
I agree about division status...doesn't really make much of a difference that I have seen yet. I am at UTSW/Parkland Hospital and the program is amazing so far with great pathology, amazing people, and terrific research opportunities. There aren't many reviews of our program on here. If people are interested, I will post one.

I was recently asked by a user about the possibility of creating a generic account for people to use to post residency reviews anonymously. SDN administration has decided not to do this. There are several valid reasons behind this decision. This kind of account has been abused in the past on other SDN (not EM) forums. The posters anonymity can also be preserved by PMing the review to a mod (that would be me) and having them post it. Since the user would have to PM the mod for the account password the level of anonymity of that procedure is the same as it would be for a generic account. Finally SDN would like to encourage users to post residency reviews on the Residency Interview Feedback page. The Residency Interview Feedback page is anonymous.

So please use the Residency Interview Feedback page. If you want something posted on the EM forum and you want it to be anonymous PM me and I’ll post it for you.

Happy interviewing,

docB

I can't believe nobody has anything to say about the program! I heard that the program is not very popular because of its location, are there any other negatives?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the number of shifts that residents work each year, and the number of hours of those shifts. I think they are still 12s.

THANKS!

Hey docB and the rest of the EM peeps,

So I've been thinking about this for a while, and after consulting with several of my classmates who are applying to EM, we've come to the conclusion that the SDN Residency Review site just doesn't work for us.

I know, I know. I (as a moderator) should be encourage the use of that site. However, I've found that the reviews posted in our own home-grown review thread are far more detailed and of a generally higher quality. The SDN review page seems to offer fewer sub-heading possibilities than what are found in our review thread, and in turn seems to produce lower-quality reviews in general. Plus, I think the design is maybe a little less conducive to a free-flowing distillation of someone's own experience.

So, speaking not as a moderator but as a MS4 applying to EM, I think that we should resume using our own review thread. I know that I and my friends have learned a LOT from what previous applicants posted, and if we want to have the reviews more easily accessible then we can use the "Master Sticky" thread. Alternatively, if someone wants to post in the SDN review thread then by all means do so. :) I won't, but that shouldn't stop anyone else who wants to.

Here's my proposed plan:

Option 1 - Post review in SDN review section, as above.

Option 2 -

1A. Write a review in the Residency Review thread.
1B. PM me your review and I will post it for you, saying "I was asked to post this...."
2. Then post a link to what you wrote in the Review Master Sticky thread.
3. I'll come by every week or so and clean things up. Something like, "The Emergency Medicine Weekly Review Rodeo for the week of ____.
50.gif
" (I'm from Texas. What else would I call it?? :) )

Thoughts, folks???

Are there going to be any reviews this year? This is probably the most helpful thread in the whole forum, but it doesn't do any good if it doesn't get updated. The SDN Interview Feedback thing doesn't seem to give any real information at all about the programs...As a former contributor, I'm disappointed.

Are there going to be any reviews this year? This is probably the most helpful thread in the whole forum, but it doesn't do any good if it doesn't get updated. The SDN Interview Feedback thing doesn't seem to give any real information at all about the programs...As a former contributor, I'm disappointed.
I was just thinking this. I'm hopefully going to post my first review today....

I've written a few that will be posted later on in the season once I've done the rest of my interviews... I agree this is a great resource and hope others will do the same.