Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Residency Review Discussions

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Coleman, 11.11.03.

1. EvoDevo

EvoDevo Sm00th... Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Okay, people! Let's get these interviews going. By now most of us are at least halfway through the process. We don't want to be less than last year's group, now do we??

I'm traveling today but I will try to post more this weekend.
    Last edited: 12.13.08
  2. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    this thread has been very disappointing. i used this a ton, when i applied b/c it was such a great resource
    Last edited: 12.15.08
  3. Dr. Will

Dr. Will

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I would have to agree with you on this.
  4. EvoDevo

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I will try to post a few more reviews as time allows this week. I am traveling and interviewing....

For quideam and others worried about anonymity: why don't you PM me your reviews and I will post them under my name as "Anonymous."? No muss, no fuss, and no chance of identification.

Really, these reviews help not only the upcoming MS4s but also those current MS4s who may be wondering if their impression of a given program matches what others have said?
  5. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    exactly. it only hurts the current and future applicants. i can only hope more of you use this.....
  6. EvoDevo

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I believe that a number of folks who don't have the energy for writing one of these reviews are, in fact, posting reviews on the SDN residency review site that docB mentioned. While I feel that they're not as helpful overall as the more in-depth postings, they're definitely still worth having.

So thank you to all of you who have been posting the anonymous reviews. :)
  7. Frogmed

Frogmed Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey, are there any residents/graduates/medical studens (who did a rotation) out there from any of these programs? I only have two interviews left and I still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about any of the programs. I'd love to hear some inside info. I have NO idea of how to rank these programs.
  8. Hawk22

Hawk22 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Pretty good reviews of places this year so far, so keep them coming. When I went through the application process, I found this thread to be one of the most helpful things here so keep posting for others!
  9. xaelia

xaelia neenlet

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 10+ Year Member
    Don't penalize us just because all the sociable residents were either on vacation or getting slammed doing vacation coverage! ;)

Sorry to hear you had a bad visit; sounds like you got to visit a lot of other great programs, hopefully you'll find a place that's a good fit for you and your family.
  10. EMbound08

EMbound08

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    These are the places I interviewed at or rotated. If anyone would like help in deciding whether to interview there as january gets longer and colder, please PM me. Or if you think a full review would be helpful, please PM me.
    Highland, UCSF-SFGH, Boston Medical Center, Stanford, USC-LAC, MGH/Brigham, GW, Kings County/Downstate, Jacobi, UCLA-Olive View, Harbor-UCLA, NYU, NY Presbyterian, Georgetown, Hopkins, Penn, Yale
  11. NEATOMD

NEATOMD Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Has anyone interviewed at Toledo? If so, could you share your thoughts?
  12. crewmaster1

crewmaster1 Nattitwo

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wow, this thread is pretty lame this year! Last year was awesome with multiple reviews on each program. Always fun to read. Maybe next year.
  13. MeBeAnEP

MeBeAnEP

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As has been previously noted, most reviews this year have been posted under the "SDN Residency Interview Feedback" thread. However, I think it would be a great help if residents would post information on their own programs instead of students relying on another student's perspective after spending only a few hours at a program.
  14. Dr. Will

Dr. Will

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Do a search buddy. A ton of the reviews were done by myself and others during the application process two years ago. I've read through the "SDN residency interview feedback" and it pales in comparison to the detail students have been posting in this thread through the years. I found students posting their impressions and basic info about programs based on a days visit to be very helpful. It is much less biased than that of a resident reviewing their own program. I don't think anyone is reading these to "rely" on them for rank list decisions, but it's helpful to get a somewhat first hand exposure to a program that you know little about. Read through mine, I listed positives and negatives about many of the programs I visited. There is too much "anyone been to so and so program?" and not enough contribution from members. As I always say, step it up.
  15. NEATOMD

NEATOMD Senior Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's a great thought and all...but I asked about Toledo, which is a new program this year. So there are obviously no reviews from previous years and there are no reviews on Toledo from anybody yet this year (which is safe to say considering that if you go back a page, you'll see posts from over a year ago and no posts about that program). A forum search yielded nothing, either. So, I would have thought this would be a good place to post a request.

If you take a look at some of the other programs listed on the first page of the EM forum, you'll notice I reviewed a few other programs I'd been to that had been asked about.

So, I'd appreciate it if you cranked the 'tude down a few notches.

-k thx luvya bye
  16. Dr. Will

Dr. Will

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    If you've provided reviews and ask for a review, then this really doesn't apply to you, does it? As always, there were plenty of posts in the "where I'm interviewing" thread, but very little in terms of reviews that are helpful to others. It's lame. If you've contributed, that's helpful. But time and time again, there are those who do not asking for info. This site is great for info, but only if applicants continue to contribute. Things change on a yearly basis. Again, step it up if you want the benefits to continue folks. Interview season is almost done.

17. Supreme09

Supreme09

Medical Student
    Hey, can anybody do a review on NSUH - Long Island Jewish Medical Center of New Hyde Park (Not Manhasset). Thanks.
  18. docjolly

docjolly On Cloud Nine, Once Again

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    hey everyone,

i definitely think this site has been very helpful. it's a bit hard for me to post my own reviews now because i just finished the half-way mark of my EM interview season, and still have the remainder to go over the next 2-3 weeks. with all that being said, i'll post my own reviews. hopefully, i can get in at least 2-4 this weekend during my break time :D
  19. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    As usual the good Dr Stitch....oops Will is right. This specific thread can be a huge resource. Most residents love their program where as students looks at programs much more critically. Those posting from the last 2-4 years where incredibly detailed and useful. SDN interview feedback is not even in the same league in terms of details, info, impressions, etc......

20. met19

met19 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
  21. tybalt

tybalt I think I'm hilarious.

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As a Michigan native and one who is planning to stay in the state for residency I just want to make the point that academic jobs are absolutely NOT plentiful. All industries are struggling and as a result, the State is in a harsh financial spot --> less money for schools --> teachers laid off and fewer new hires. I'm not saying there aren't any jobs, but when I finished undergrad (in 2005, yes, even 4 years ago), many of my friends had to leave the state to get a job and a few good friends who are amazingly intelligent and fabulous teachers had to be let go. So.... lesson is, realize things may be difficult for you and your sweetie. I don't know specifically about Ann Arbor's schools and employment though so I will leave that to your own research.

Sorry to be a downer... Not trying to discourage!
  22. hornsfan

hornsfan humble servant

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So after several years of reading this thread, it has finally come time to throw in my input. I cannot thank enough the people before me who have posted so much about so many programs. These posts have been a huge help to me as I decided to go into EM, as I chose where I should do away rotations, as I narrowed down a giant list of programs down to a select few to apply to, and finally as I prepared to interview at my final list. To those who continue to read after me, please keep up the trend of giving back to the community so as to keep the reviews as up to date as possible.

I know there has been some angst about the lack of posting thus far by our class, but I am sure there will be many a post after match day. I personally feel that the people who benefit most are the third years trying to figure out which programs to rotate at/apply to, rather than the fourth years trying to decide their match list. This is why, combined with my screen name still being somewhat anonymous, that I have decided to post now rather than after match day. This is also why all of my following reviews are fairly lengthy. I apologize to those who don’t like it, but I felt that the longer and more detailed a review was the more it helped me. Consequently, I purged most of the information I could remember after each interview so that not only could I remember the details of each program, but that I could also provide as much information as possible to those after me.

I tried my best to remove my opinions and impression of each program from the review so as to give a better view of the program. However, if you do see something that is subjective please remember that it is my opinion only. For the most part, I really enjoyed all of my interviews and could be happy at most of these places. There was only one (maybe two) that I didn’t like, and thus far I have heard many a people who rotated there rave about it (I assume I just got a bad interview day or something). I rotated at two of the following programs, but won’t mention which ones at this time to retain my anonymity. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and good luck to everyone in next year’s application process and this year’s match!
  23. washkeep

washkeep ProudFieldFairy

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    anyone else with comments about this program... seems solid but can't find any other reviews/opinions. i want to rank it #1 so looking for just a little somethin'
  24. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    We need to get this thread started again this year. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable posting their review under their own name, pm it to me and I will post it anonymously.
  25. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Dr. EPHJr. = awesome.
  26. EM2BE

EM2BE Elf

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  27. katiecornflakes

katiecornflakes

Medical Student
    I'm currently on a year out between 3rd and 4th year and thinking about where to do aways next year. I can't find anything on OHSU around here other than a thread discussing a 2006 scutmonkey review.

Anyone have a recent review of the program?

Thanks! :D
  28. Mixwell

Mixwell

Resident [Any Field]
    so, I have been trolling this site for a few years now and find myself overwhelmed with the necessity to post a question. Why is UMDNJ, Newark not reviewed?!?! I am a resident here, so I can't exactly give a biased review. I am however, very active in our program and would like to use this forum as a gateway to make changes to our interviews, curriculum and any other aspect that may be worth discussion. We had about 500 applications this past season and gave out about 100 interviews to a very strong applicant pool. Not to mention the numerous rotators we get each year. Where's the love (or constructive criticism) :shrug:
  29. EM 2 0 1 0

EM 2 0 1 0

That was spot on.
    If you're on the fence between 3 and 4 years, and looking for a strong (non-county) program, this is probably one of the best 3 year programs out there (and you can always change your mind and stay another year). Friendly residents, excellent attendings and a strong PD who advocates for his program

Other great 3 year programs I encountered/researched during interview season (restricted to E. coast) were Maryland and SLR in NYC.
    Both were highly efficient, with minimal malignant off-service time, and very happy residents.
    Last edited: 02.24.10
  30. MountainEM

MountainEM Mountain Man

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    wow, thanks emoregon. that was great and you definitely filled a gap, there is not much on OHSU on here. thanks
  31. lemontilt

lemontilt

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks too everyone for the reviews, I guess we all appreciate them.
    What about Baylor COM program. I guess they started it this year and the EM is as far as I know, not a seperate department but is a subdivision of IM. So how about that ?
  32. colicky

colicky

Medical Student
    University of Chicago: I enjoyed the interview there with the PD and faculty. PD was very approachable! Did not rotate here. one of the top tier programs in my opinion. You work a 3 places, hence, getting a variety in your experience. Heard great things about mt.sinai rotation. Residents get lots of procedure especially at Mt.sinai i have heard. Good CV research going on at UC. Hey it's Chicago!

Case-western/Metrohealth: Interviewed and rotated at this joint. Combined program with cleveland clinic. I rotated at the metrohealth side. My interview went well. I especially enjoyed my interview with some of the faculty from the Cleveland clinic as it was fun, and most of the faculty joke and very laid back; they do like to name drop that cleveland clinic as one of the best hospitals in the country. I enjoyed the faculty when we toured the cleveland clinic. My rotation at metrohealth was ok; faculty don't usually joke that much, and don't look like they are enjoying work. My ideal place would be where people are enjoying work and are having fun while being at work. After all it's EM, that's why we are going into this field instead of being surgical slaves. Watch out for the program director, from the shifts and teaching conferences, a total bully; usually threatening to residents, who look afraid of him and unhappy overall. The PD uses sarcasm to be judgmental about decision making of residents that is quite degrading. They do have nice teaching rounds everyday at 11 am during shifts for 10 mins. Busy ED, probably 90-100K at metrohealth side, and 60K at cleveland clinic side. Both sides have a very similar electronic record keeping so don't have to learn 2 completely separate systems. Lot's of trauma experience can be a plus or minus.

Maimonides: Did not rotate, did interview. Their chairman is one of the old school guys/founder of EM field. Pretty good EMS system that services the program. I think they have subsidized housing. Don't like Yankees. The hospital is in a nice neighborhood. Not much trauma. Not much else to say.
  33. docB

docB Chronically painful Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 10+ Year Member
    We are in the process of moving posts about specific residencies into individualized threads for the ease of our users.
  34. docB

Attending Physician
    A thread for discussions related to the residency reviews.
  35. RobbingReality

RobbingReality Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Last edited: 10.16.10
  36. docB

Attending Physician
    This thread is being created for reviews and comments regarding the EM residency at Temple in Philadelphia.
  37. Un rxed

Un rxed

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey All,

I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to the Residency/Interview reviews, they have been tremendously helpful. I was curious if there are any reviews of Nebraska? I looked all over and wasn't able to find any but would really appreciate any input regarding their program! Thanks!
  38. docB

Attending Physician
    I am converting this thread to a residency review thread and am adding other posts about the Duke program to it.
  39. EMRocksmyworld

EMRocksmyworld

Medical Student

Amazing review! thanks so much :)
  40. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Lifetime Donor

All right - one guess - the previous review was written by a female (the only thing that made that was referring to the "very cute, hip part of town"); however, the relevance of that is nil.

A bigger question: "Faculty were otherwise fine- nothing especially notable about them but they seemed nice enough and accomplished." They seemed nice enough and accomplished, but nothing especially notable...what do you want? How high do you set the bar?
  41. Apollyon

If you have been asked this question several times, it behooves you to give a correct answer. "Admitting privileges" is a two-way street. The way you state it is correct for the receiving service. Admitting privileges from the ED is that the EM doc can direct onto which service a patient goes. There are no places where the full-time EM doc manages the patient on the floor. Where the EM doc has "admitting privileges", if the receiving service balks or gives pushback, the final say goes to the ED. If the receiving service doesn't want it, the receiving service has to find another service to take the patient (or discharge the patient themselves). They can't just say "we don't want it".
  42. pagemmapants

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    In response to this, I just have to directly quote a Duke trauma surgeon's response when I told him I wanted to do Emergency Medicine:

"Now why the f*** would you want to do that?"
  43. Apollyon

Sounds like Steve Vaslef.
  44. pagemmapants

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Not quite. Think bigger and meatier. :D
  45. Apollyon

Ah, it's not who I thought it was - checking the list, I don't see him there. It's been a while - although, knowing the place, those folks will die on the job. There's nothing better than coding in the OR!
  46. Apollyon

Really?

And that was a lot of color and font code, there.
  47. tdubb

tdubb

Says the post whore with 15,000 posts. That must be some kind of world record. I think there is a DSM IV diagnosis for that, isn't there? :laugh: Unplug from the matrix, Neo. Follow the white rabbit...
  48. Apollyon

Passive aggressive much? Or just an insulting punk?

That is over 9 years. Do the math. Or, wait - the site has done it for you. 4.46 posts per day is not "post whoring". Oh, and there are 4 members with over 40K posts here.

So, you say people here are "chief resident types", and I question that - I certainly wasn't, and there are many more like me that weren't, and you are the one with all of the formatting.

Then, to come back snotty. Good luck with that.
  49. Apollyon

Watch out! You might get your post deleted!
  50. EMapplicant12

EMapplicant12

Medical Student
    I would think it ludicrous if my post actually does get deleted. We're supposed to talk about programs freely here right - write a review and let other applicants know what's up. How is it fair if only the good reviews stay and the negative ones get deleted. I am very open to discussion about this, but silencing a voice that speaks up is not the way to do it - freedom of speech.

Goes along the lines with the Yale thread that got deleted.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal