Residency vs. Real Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The residency hours, call, etc don't seem to be horrible for RadOnc. How does this relate to the lifestyle once one is out of residency? I saw this (below) in another thread, how accurate is it?

1. Ortho 335.8/54.1 = $119.4/hr
2. Path 246.5/41.6 = $114.0/hr
3. Rad (Diag)/Rad Onc 327.7/58.5 = $107.7/hr
4. Optho 229.2/43.7 = $100.9/hr
5. Derm 219.5/42 = $100.5/hr

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how much I would believe these numbers. Rad Onc works more hrs than ortho? Unlikely.

jkin said:
The residency hours, call, etc don't seem to be horrible for RadOnc. How does this relate to the lifestyle once one is out of residency? I saw this (below) in another thread, how accurate is it?

1. Ortho 335.8/54.1 = $119.4/hr
2. Path 246.5/41.6 = $114.0/hr
3. Rad (Diag)/Rad Onc 327.7/58.5 = $107.7/hr
4. Optho 229.2/43.7 = $100.9/hr
5. Derm 219.5/42 = $100.5/hr

check that forumulation. Youll make a decent living and you'll have busy hours but not too long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...a breakdown..that's interesting....

Guess doing a google on the rad onc job market could give an idea on the hours & pay. I was informed private practices work more hours to cover overhead as opposed to an academician.

If you're interested in being a Prof someday, it's all good :D Research, teaching and clinics! yeah! :thumbup:

Stephew,

My question is about the hours. I didn't think the hours were more than ortho. So you think the hours are about right? Freida lists the residency hours at 49.

Just wondering.

i definitely havent worked more than 50 hours in a week since starting. that excludes studying, reading and research.

So what is your week like? You are talking residency, right? How about post-residency?

jkin said:
So what is your week like? You are talking residency, right? How about post-residency?

i mean during the week you have a lot of conferences (treatment planning, qa, journal club) in addition to tumor boards (oncology, chest, ent, etc). then you see patients on treatment one day, follow-ups another, see new consults, do simulations and the general scut work involved in our field (dictations, reviewing labs/scans/path, following up on tests, writing letters, etc).

How far are you in your training? Do you have a feeling yet what it will be like post training? Does a private RadOnc have a week like the one you describe?

jkin said:
How far are you in your training? Do you have a feeling yet what it will be like post training? Does a private RadOnc have a week like the one you describe?

im a pgy-2, and i am not sure what a private physician's schedule is like. they may get consulted from various community hospitals and may go in the evenings to see patients. im not sure though. i bet they have less conferences as they are in private practice. i also assume that their volume may be higher and they have to deal with issues like billing, which may take more time.