residencyafter 5 yrs of serving as physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodluck091412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a family physician working for 5 yrs as primary care physician in outpatient office after graduating from residency program.I am very much interested in pursuing my carrer towards internal medicine and working as hospitalist or further into fellowship if Iget a chance.But definitely sicking to the outpatient care as family Physician is least interesting to me.I approached my faculty soon after my residency graduation to apply for Internal medicine residency and got 3 LOR 5 years ago.By the time of interview,bad luck stuck my life and I was pregnant with lots of complications and fetal demise at that time and then I started giving importance to my famiy and took outpatient job without on calls.Now I have a 1 year old child and I am realizing that I should pursue my residency search to Internal medicine again.I don't know where to get the LOR again. Will getting letters from my collegues from current employment be enough?Will the letters from my program director be of more importance.If so I don't knw how to approach them again.please help.Also my scores are very average.I don't know what my chances are for getting into internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

if your plan is to do hospitaist work no need for IM residency..waste of time.
if you'rre going for IM specific fellowships go ahead..
why not do FM fellowships?

I'm not sure how common it is, but I rotated at a hospital with an inpatient family medicine service. Maybe look for a similar job and avoid having to repeat residency?

I'm also curious as to why you haven't thought about FM hospitalist yet either? Is it a location or training deficit?

We have Non-Accredited Pain Fellowship program in Central California, just recently opened to IM and FP trained MDs. They are previously open for Anesthesia/PMR. This new change will give you the opportunity to apply for this position, provided you have existing CA state unrestricted MD License.

It is a waste of time and income to do an IM residency at this point to be a hospitalist. I am sure you could find an FM hospitalist position somewhere. Unless you are dead set on an IM subspecialty and another 5-6 years of training, I think your ship has sailed on IM.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the other posters. If you want to be a hospitalist, you can easily do it via the FM route. At least half of the hospitalists where I work were trained in FM originally.

Reactions: 1 user