Resident in CP in France : work in the US ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexcocow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a French resident, completing a residency in Clinical Pathology (in France, CP and AP are totally seperate fields, you can't do both) in Paris, and doing a specialization in Cytogenetics, and Embryology (IVF, etc..).

I want to work in the US when my residency's over (in 2 years).
One option would obvisouly to take the steps, and do an AP/CP residency in the US.
However, does any of you would know of any other way?
Like work in a clinical laboratory (I wouldn't be boarded in the US, but a lot of the folks who work there are not MDs, right?), or maybe in a pharmaceutical lab as a medical director ?

I'm aware my question is a little vague, but ANY help would be appreciated. a lot.
Thanks !

Alex.

Members don't see this ad.

no way around taking the Step exams if you want to practice medicine here. You would also have to complete some sort of residency. Depending on the specialty, you may be able to sit for national boards by doing 4 years of fellowship.

It sucks coming from abroad because you have to start all over.

Unfortunately, I think scurred might be right... although some people trained in other countries do fellowships without completing residency in the US (I know an aussie who was here for an ID fellowship), so I'm not sure how this works.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there !
Thanks for your help.
So yes, to practice medicine, i'd defintely have to take the steps, and complete a US residency.
However, i don't think it'd be the case to work in the pharmaceutical industry, for example.

Am I totally wrong ?

no clue...not sure you are on the right message board for that...but I'm sure they have board exams as well.

If you want to work for pharma industry, it's a non-issue, other than the company would have to sponsor your visa. You'll be limited to doing research, or something along those lines. Certain CP fellowships (Micro, BChem) are also a consideration. They're certainly open to PhDs with no MD training whatsoever. However, they won't get you clinical privileges or let you take the CP boards. Not sure what requirements you need to fulfill to become a Medical Director these days.