Resident looking for Anesthesiology job at same time wife is applying to residency, need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I started medical school at the same time, but she is MD/PhD and therefore is finishing medical school and applying to residency while I am in my final year of residency in Anesthesiology and starting to look for jobs. We have a 1 year old daughter and, as you might imagine, it is extremely important that our family remain together. Our challenge: for her to find a residency and for me to find a job in the same area despite the uncertainty of the residency Match and somewhat differing timelines in terms of us learning where she will end up and my need to commit to job offers once I start reaching out to and hopefully interviewing with potential groups.

I will be finishing my residency at the University of Washington in Seattle. She will be graduating medical school from the same institution and applying for residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. I anticipate that she will be a highly qualified and competitive applicant for PM&R and the same has been said by PM&R faculty with whom she has met. I have roots in the Midwest which has had her thinking about residency positions in Rochester, MN at Mayo; Univ of Minnesota; University of Michigan, and Northwestern (Chicago). Additionally, she is interested in the University of Washington program here in Seattle as well as a couple of programs in Ohio (Columbus and Cleveland), Univ of Pittsburg Medical Center, and the Univ of Utah. This list arises essentially from places where we could see ourselves settling down and living upon completion of her residency. Ideally, she would find a job in the same city and I wouldn't have to leave a group after being there for four years.

I will be looking for private practice Anesthesiology jobs in the above areas, but am a little overwhelmed as to how to go about all of this. My hope is that some of you might be able to provide some guidance/advice as to how to go about this process under the given circumstances. Do any of you have any advice regarding groups I should get in touch with in these areas? Anyone dealing with or dealt with a similar situation? Any advice is very much welcomed. I'm happy to provide any additional details I may have left out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no easy answer and no guarantees that you can pull it off....BUT:

1. If she is a strong candidate as you say (which I'm sure she is because the MD/PhD programs are pretty discriminating in their applicants to begin with so I'm assuming she is a pretty good student) then she will probably be successful at matching at a good strong program "essentially" of her choice if she communicates well with the PD.

2. Sit down and pick your two ideal spots, and concentrate on those two areas for interviews etc. I don't know that you'd find success looking in 7 different cities at the same time. Narrowing it down to a few will allow you to focus your energy. Your time off to interview during residency is very limited and thus precious. Prioritize and time manage well.

3. There is always the option of talking to the PD of the university that your wife matches and see if there is a way you can be faculty/staff for time she is there or at least for the time allowing you to find a PP position in the area that you want.
*This is at minimum a fall back plan if she matches at an unexpected spot
*Most University positions have malpractice that doesn't require a tail if you were to leave early if you found a different position

Good Luck!

There's no easy answer and no guarantees that you can pull it off....BUT:

1. If she is a strong candidate as you say (which I'm sure she is because the MD/PhD programs are pretty discriminating in their applicants to begin with so I'm assuming she is a pretty good student) then she will probably be successful at matching at a good strong program "essentially" of her choice if she communicates well with the PD.

2. Sit down and pick your two ideal spots, and concentrate on those two areas for interviews etc. I don't know that you'd find success looking in 7 different cities at the same time. Narrowing it down to a few will allow you to focus your energy. Your time off to interview during residency is very limited and thus precious. Prioritize and time manage well.

3. There is always the option of talking to the PD of the university that your wife matches and see if there is a way you can be faculty/staff for time she is there or at least for the time allowing you to find a PP position in the area that you want.
*This is at minimum a fall back plan if she matches at an unexpected spot
*Most University positions have malpractice that doesn't require a tail if you were to leave early if you found a different position

Good Luck!

Good advice above. I have a little one so i understand your situation.

#3 I think is what makes the most sense for me.

But really, First try to pick less areas, like 3 to focus on, given than PMR is not that competitive, but she should still apply to all 7.

Then when she gets in somewhere, get an academic job at the same institution.

I think its a tall order to try immediately to join a PP group and get on a partnership track where you are happy, which happens to be in the city your wife matched. You are more likely to fall into a trap and leave the group, vs the safe bet and flexibility of an academic job initially. Where you are familiar with the day to day already, and can leave at any time for something better, or stay until your wife gets a job in the area or you both want to move to another area. I would not look for the forever job as long as she is still in transition/residency. I would look to be a more supportive role in an academic job where maybe you make 250 but your hours are not brutal and you are happy and stable, can help with the baby at home, have significant vacation weeks, etc.. then worry about forever once things are more known and solidified with you two.

Reactions: 1 user
DreamLover and Hoya, thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.