resigning from HSCP dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danthenub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to voluntarily resign from the HSCP dental scholarship, and if so what the penalty is?
I'm starting my third year in dental school and really regret taking the scholarship.

Thank you for feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that you owe one year of service for every year (or part of a year) they pay for. I suspect you will want to do those years as a doctor/ officer and not as enlisted. I would call my recruiter and ask him, but I think he would just look at me funny for even asking.

Short answer is no.
Long answer is nooooooooooooooooooooooo

The military doesn't want their money back. They want what they've already paid for. They want a functioning dentist/doctor/whatever.
Short of that they'll find some other way for you to pay back your commitment. Maybe you can be a medtech, or a minesweeper, or whatever.
They'd much prefer to have a dentist. But they'll take a med tech over getting their money back.

Reactions: 1 users
Think of your commissioning contract as a deed...they own you now

All seriousness aside, there may be an arctic research station where they need a drop out dentist to do sea lion tusk measurements for an aggregate report on the effects of global warming.

Does anyone know if it is possible to voluntarily resign from the HSCP dental scholarship, and if so what the penalty is?
I'm starting my third year in dental school and really regret taking the scholarship.

Thank you for feedback

Now that everyone is done making fun of you, what are your concerns/fears? People here might be able to reassure you, or alternatively advise you on how to mitigate your upcoming problems.

This is SDN... are we ever done?

:D
Only when the XX chromosome holder who is self identified as of Scandinavian descent with a BMI in excess of 30 vocalizes lyrically.

Reactions: 1 users
that contract is binding. there's no way you can get out of it because you have second doubts. should have read the contract thoroughly my friend. good luck.

It is possible but unlikely. There will have to be mitigating circumstances and you'd have to pay back the loan promptly with fees. I did my officer basic in 2002 (summer before my sophomore year in medical school) so 9/11 was fresh on the minds of everyone. There was a HPSP medical student of middle eastern decent. He was stopped by the gate MPs and jailed overnight when trying to get on base for "suspicious" activities. We had weekends free and often went in town. After a big stink he was able to resign his commission pay back his loan and get out of his obligation.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances (newly diagnosed chronic medical condition with significant disabilities) it will be tough.

Yep, even if you failed out of dental school they would find a job for you on active duty to complete your payback. That said, I'm sure scores of future med and dent students would appreciate updates on this.

Yep, even if you failed out of dental school they would find a job for you on active duty to complete your payback. That said, I'm sure scores of future med and dent students would appreciate updates on this.
Hahaha 8yrs later....."so guys, I'm almost out"

If you fail out its far more likely they'll just make you pay them back a crippling amount of money. The military is paying for you to be a health care provider. It is not in there best interest to dump more money into you in retraining to another career path?

I have three friends that were hpsp and dropped out of medical school. One had to fight and fight but is now an e2 recent ait graduate. The other 2 owe something to the tune of 300k each

Reactions: 1 user