Resigning vs. Being Terminated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serimeri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think my mind is just being paranoid at the moment. But I am currently set to start residency this July. I found out yesterday that the program has been on probation via the ACGME and has a history of terminating residents. I didn't look into this when I interviewed as I was just happy to be at a place that would give me a job. I looked into some of the residents they terminated, and I can't figure out why they would want to terminate them, they seemed like excellent candidates who were attendings in their home countries for Psychiatry.

I am scared that as a 4th year medical student, I wont be able to jump to their level, and I may have a lot of deficiencies. I am just panicking that that they may terminate me because they will have to spend extra time getting me to learn things. I mean I cant be at attending level just yet.

I just dont want to do anything that will get me fired or terminated, if I get to the stage where I think that they are fed up of me, is it better to resign as oppose to them terminating me?

I have every intention of working hard, but I am just shocked when I saw so many excellent candidates terminated. Im hoping the issues were visa related.

I just worry about what my options would be if I were terminated vs voluntary resignation? My paranoid mind is forcing me to look into these options just in case things get out of hand.

Obvsiously I am going to strive to be the best I can be, but I cant compete with years of experience, and Im hoping my co interns will be able to help me when needed to.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my mind is just being paranoid at the moment. But I am currently set to start residency this July. I found out yesterday that the program has been on probation via the ACGME and has a history of terminating residents. I didn't look into this when I interviewed as I was just happy to be at a place that would give me a job. I looked into some of the residents they terminated, and I can't figure out why they would want to terminate them, they seemed like excellent candidates who were attendings in their home countries for Psychiatry.

I am scared that as a 4th year medical student, I wont be able to jump to their level, and I may have a lot of deficiencies. I am just panicking that that they may terminate me because they will have to spend extra time getting me to learn things. I mean I cant be at attending level just yet.

I just dont want to do anything that will get me fired or terminated, if I get to the stage where I think that they are fed up of me, is it better to resign as oppose to them terminating me?

I have every intention of working hard, but I am just shocked when I saw so many excellent candidates terminated. Im hoping the issues were visa related.

I just worry about what my options would be if I were terminated vs voluntary resignation? My paranoid mind is forcing me to look into these options just in case things get out of hand.

Obvsiously I am going to strive to be the best I can be, but I cant compete with years of experience, and Im hoping my co interns will be able to help me when needed to.

Don't worry about what might happen. Just go in wanting to be the best you can and then work hard, keep your head down, don't rock the boat, and put your time in. In the end you'll be a board eligible psychiatrist.

You don't know anything about the residents that were terminated or the circumstances leading to it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I just have severe anxiety that I am not going to be good enough. I didn't do that many auditions before deciding on Psychiatry. I think I am lucky to have matched and I am seeing these accomplished individuals who were attendings in their home countries, who are much wiser and mature compared to me. I think I have undiagnosed ADHD, I can't even cook a simple meal without going overboard and spending 2-3 hours in the kitchen without burning myself. I feel like I'm Susan from Desparate Housewives with my clumsiness. I just feel so inadequate and I think my anxiety is feeling to these feelings of inadequacy. I honestly don't think I'm mentally ready to begin residency. :(

I think I just have severe anxiety that I am not going to be good enough. I didn't do that many auditions before deciding on Psychiatry. I think I am lucky to have matched and I am seeing these accomplished individuals who were attendings in their home countries, who are much wiser and mature compared to me. I think I have undiagnosed ADHD, I can't even cook a simple meal without going overboard and spending 2-3 hours in the kitchen without burning myself. I feel like I'm Susan from Desparate Housewives with my clumsiness. I just feel so inadequate and I think my anxiety is feeling to these feelings of inadequacy. I honestly don't think I'm mentally ready to begin residency. :(

If you keep telling yourself that you're going to fail, then you're more likely to fail. Go into it knowing that you don't know everything. You will get some stuff wrong. That's the whole point of a training program. It doesn't matter if they were attendings in their home countries. Sometimes people that are attendings in a foreign country and go back to residency here end up having issues taking orders and being subordinate to someone that only has a year or two of training. There ends up being problems with the medical hierarchy and conflicts. If that persists, I can see how people can get fired.

Take a deep breath, calm down a bit, and take it a day at a time. You aren't the first to go through residency feeling inadequate. In the end, you'll be trained.

If you keep telling yourself that you're going to fail, then you're more likely to fail. Go into it knowing that you don't know everything. You will get some stuff wrong. That's the whole point of a training program. It doesn't matter if they were attendings in their home countries. Sometimes people that are attendings in a foreign country and go back to residency here end up having issues taking orders and being subordinate to someone that only has a year or two of training. There ends up being problems with the medical hierarchy and conflicts. If that persists, I can see how people can get fired.

Take a deep breath, calm down a bit, and take it a day at a time. You aren't the first to go through residency feeling inadequate. In the end, you'll be trained.

Thanks I think that's what it is. I am just working my mind into all sorts of weird possibilities. I am glad to have a job and I plan on learning how to make the most of it.