Resorption versus reabsorption

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there actually a difference between these two words? I always associated resorption with the liberation of Calcium from bone and think of it as the process of releasing something through the process of dissolution. My medical dictionary says "to break down and assimilate". It seems that many medical references (texts and online) use resorb to mean reabsorb and use both words interchangeably.

I am trying to understand how it is being in the context of resorptive atelectasis. When there is a mucous plug, the alveoli downstream of the plug have their air resorbed and they collapse. Does this mean the air has actually been absorbed by the capillaries perfusing the affected alveoli or does it just mean that the air in the affected alveoli has shifted to other parts of the lung via the pores of Kohn?

This got me thinking about dilation versus dilatation as well. They seem to be used interchangeably as well...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Think of resorption as "the process of losing substance".

And think of reabsorption as "the process of absorbing again".

Reactions: 1 user
I use Resorption and Reabsorption interchangeably, and honestly, never knew there was a distinction.

Dilation and Dilatation are the new and old ways of saying the same thing. Oldies usually use dilatation, youngers usually use dilation.

Think of resorption as "the process of losing substance".

And think of reabsorption as "the process of absorbing again".

thank you so much for explaining it clearly.
this got me too. i spent almost 2hrs to figure out what bone resorption means.
and i now feel very stupid lol