Resource for Psychiatry during Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Excited to start intern year. I have been using UpToDate primarily for medicine and other rotations, but what do people use for Psychiatry specific stuff? Is there a specific text you recommend buying ahead of time? My parents want to gift me something for graduation, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good resource that's mobile app compatible?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of opinions on this, but here is what I have been using (which works for me). I do not read textbooks straight through, but I want easily accessible resources for general, medical knowledge. The main rule, as an intern, is too KEEP IT SIMPLE. Most of your learning will come from patients, other residents, etc, and reading is really to reinforce/expound upon what you see on the wards. Uptodate for psychiatry is *almost* worthless (though there are some good addiction articles). You won't have much time or energy to read extensively, but this is what I recommend:
1)A text of descriptive psychopathology. I like Fish's because it is well referenced, goes into sufficient detail, but is only about 100 pages long. Kraeplin is unparalleled in terms of his clinical descriptions, but The Dementia Praecox is not an easy read (though I really like it, and it has definitely helped me understand schizophrenia).
2) A psychopharm textbook. I like Stahl's (both the textbook and prescriber's guide) because of its simplicity. A lot of people have issues with Stahl, but for an intern it is a really good read.
3) A book on clinical neuroscience. Neuroscience of Clinical Psychiatry (Higgins and George) is an easy read and surprisingly thorough for only about 200 pages. If you are biologically inclined (or even if you are not), this is a great read. For current research, obviously use pubmed
4) Pocket DSM V (if your program doesn't give you one
5) I like Goodwin and Guze's Psychiatric Diagnosis again because of readability. Concise descriptions of clinical presentations, epidemiology, longitudinal course, some pathophysiology, etc of the major psychiatric diagnoses.
6) For your neuro rotations, I can't give enough praise to Kaufman's. It's written at about the level of a PGY2 neuro resident but it is readable and reasonably uptodate. I like the MGH Pocket Neuro book too for easy reference. This will help with the prite, but more importantly, these are great resources for taking care of neuro patients on the rotation itself.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of opinions on this, but here is what I have been using (which works for me). I do not read textbooks straight through, but I want easily accessible resources for general, medical knowledge. The main rule, as an intern, is too KEEP IT SIMPLE. Most of your learning will come from patients, other residents, etc, and reading is really to reinforce/expound upon what you see on the wards. Uptodate for psychiatry is *almost* worthless (though there are some good addiction articles). You won't have much time or energy to read extensively, but this is what I recommend:
1)A text of descriptive psychopathology. I like Fish's because it is well referenced, goes into sufficient detail, but is only about 100 pages long. Kraeplin is unparalleled in terms of his clinical descriptions, but The Dementia Praecox is not an easy read (though I really like it, and it has definitely helped me understand schizophrenia).
2) A psychopharm textbook. I like Stahl's (both the textbook and prescriber's guide) because of its simplicity. A lot of people have issues with Stahl, but for an intern it is a really good read.
3) A book on clinical neuroscience. Neuroscience of Clinical Psychiatry (Higgins and George) is an easy read and surprisingly thorough for only about 200 pages. If you are biologically inclined (or even if you are not), this is a great read. For current research, obviously use pubmed
4) Pocket DSM V (if your program doesn't give you one
5) I like Goodwin and Guze's Psychiatric Diagnosis again because of readability. Concise descriptions of clinical presentations, epidemiology, longitudinal course, some pathophysiology, etc of the major psychiatric diagnoses.
6) For your neuro rotations, I can't give enough praise to Kaufman's. It's written at about the level of a PGY2 neuro resident but it is readable and reasonably uptodate. I like the MGH Pocket Neuro book too for easy reference. This will help with the prite, but more importantly, these are great resources for taking care of neuro patients on the rotation itself.

thanks, I think I have the MGH pocket neuro book on my kindle. I would love to have Stahl on mobile app.

My program didn't pay for comlex 3, so i don't know if they will give a pocket DSM V, but if not, i'll grab one myself.