Resources fo picking best places to live for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laxx76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, MS4 here about half way through the interview trail and I was wondering what resources or websites you guys have been using to explore the cities and neighborhoods near the programs you are considering? I always try to attend the social gathering with the residents associated with the interview but all I'm getting is positive answers and I want to know the good and the bad about the places I could be living. The thing I'm most interested in is finding a reliable source to gauge area school districts that's more objective then subjective. Thanks for the help and I hope the trail is going well for everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, MS4 here about half way through the interview trail and I was wondering what resources or websites you guys have been using to explore the cities and neighborhoods near the programs you are considering? I always try to attend the social gathering with the residents associated with the interview but all I'm getting is positive answers and I want to know the good and the bad about the places I could be living. The thing I'm most interested in is finding a reliable source to gauge area school districts that's more objective then subjective. Thanks for the help and I hope the trail is going well for everyone!
Most medium sized or larger cities will have some sort of monthly magazine (that's mostly useless other than as an advertising vehicle) but will annually publish some sort of semi-quantitative school and/or neighborhood rating issue. Google something like "City I'm Interested In School Ratings" and see what pops up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Email current residents, they will have the best idea on where it's fun/reasonable to live for your newly found resident lifestyle.

http://www.city-data.com/city/
and
http://www.bestplaces.net/

I have found both to be worthwhile resources for getting the flavors of cities, with bestplaces being a great way to compare how a city you are considering may compare to places you have lived.

City-Data also seems to have very active forums, which often discuss pertinent topics for potential residents like school district quality, from what I have seen.

I hope that helps. Please have a great day.

Reactions: 1 user
That's good to do research, getting in of course is key but having a nice lifestyle for you and family plays a huge role
Above are good sites
I did a lot of research as location was key for us in residency
the govt city/county site for schools
Local free social newspapers tell a good bit about things to do
Sheriffs office for crime,calls in neighborhoods...etc. houses maybe cheap on zillow then you see why. Use the google feature and look at the area
Airport website to see size, routes
Commute time , routes to hospital on Google
Weather channel
Emailing residents help but try to communicate w someone that is in the same boat as you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zillow.com and trulia.com are your best bets along with a local paper. Consider renting instead of buying...

Reactions: 1 user

When I was interviewing I built time into my travel to drive around the city and get a feel for what it was like to drive in rush hour, go to the local grocery chain, get in and out of walmart, drive to the hospital etc. I asked folks at the grocery store and walmart, "I'm just visiting, what is it like to live here?" I also asked cab drivers whenever I rode them.

Basically ask people in the hospital and out but that are not trying to sell you on the program.