Resources for Emergency Medicine NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WuMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got some good recommendations for the EM NBME Shelf? My school just started using it so not a lot of advice is out there for us. I'm not talking about the rotation--we've got some guidance on that (though suggestions are still appreciated!), but in particular, for the shelf exam.

I am looking to go into EM, but for my rotations right now, I don't necessarily want to lug around Tittanali, just something that will help me excel at the shelf which I think will be the toughest part of the rotation for me!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone got some good recommendations for the EM NBME Shelf? My school just started using it so not a lot of advice is out there for us. I'm not talking about the rotation--we've got some guidance on that (though suggestions are still appreciated!), but in particular, for the shelf exam.

I am looking to go into EM, but for my rotations right now, I don't necessarily want to lug around Tittanali, just something that will help me excel at the shelf which I think will be the toughest part of the rotation for me!

Thanks!

I used Rosh Review and Uworld. Seemed to go ok.

I did all of case files, most of pre-test, and about 100 ?'s of rosh review (thought it was a waste of time so I stopped, I don't recommend). My NBME scaled score was 99. I finished CK a couple months before exam so I think that helped. It was my best NBME. Usually score mid 80's scaled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who took the SAEM exam, would case files/pre-test still be a good plan? How helpful are the SAEM online questions for the exam?

Anyone who took the SAEM exam, would case files/pre-test still be a good plan? How helpful are the SAEM online questions for the exam?
You should do all the SAEM practice questions before the exam, some are repeated verbatim and it will get you prepared for question style, not intuitive like USMLE or NBME.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all of case files, most of pre-test, and about 100 ?'s of rosh review (thought it was a waste of time so I stopped, I don't recommend). My NBME scaled score was 99. I finished CK a couple months before exam so I think that helped. It was my best NBME. Usually score mid 80's scaled.

What did you not like about Rosh review? Assuming you also signed up for student version, think the resident level q's would be any better? Seems like Rosh is the same author of the Pre-test book and the website, was there just too much overlap in the student qbank?

Tintinalli EM manual is nice, basically a condensed version of big tint. Emergency medicine secrets was actually very good too. SAEM practice tests. I like Rosh for in service exam as a resident but not sure you need a stand along qbank for the shelf. Probably best served using your study time to read and increase your overall knowledge base. EM Manual and secrets will be much more useful for learning about stuff you see on shift and looking good clinically. Do some SAEM practice questions to sharpen up just before you take it.