Resources Relevant to Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennessee_Sour

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there kind board members. I'm still a junior student of medicine from Australia, but I'm developing a keen interest in psychiatry and would appreciate your advice as I gather learning material.

I've started reading Fish's Clinical Psychopathology and I sometimes dip into Jaspers' General Psychopathology. Is this a good start or would it be better to start elsewhere? One of my professors is fond of the dictum, As goes your Pathology, so goes your Medicine, so I thought by analogy As goes your Psychopathology, so goes your Psychiatry. What is the difference between psychopathology and abnormal psychology? If it's more than just a difference of dialect between psychologists and psychiatrists, can you recommend any worthwhile resources on the latter discipline?

I've noticed there are many DVD's out there on the various therapeutic approaches. Are there any that are particularly excellent? Are there any good DVD's on the psychiatric interview without the slant of a particular school of therapy?

Finally, can you think of any good books on psychology, sociology and anthropology that would be valuable to psychiatric understanding? How about auto/biographies or histories? I'll leave off Imaginative Literature, because the list might grow too long.

Thank you for your time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Before you launch into the details separating the different schools of therapy, I would point you towards more psychopathology and differential diagnosis logic. Fish is good. You might like the DSM V casebook. It is easy to read and challenges your thinking with good discussions after each case. After that, grab a major text book (Kaplan and Sadock or APA), although these are much stiffer reading. If you do head into psychiatry, they are the introductory baseline minimum.

Before you launch into the details separating the different schools of therapy, I would point you towards more psychopathology and differential diagnosis logic. Fish is good. You might like the DSM V casebook. It is easy to read and challenges your thinking with good discussions after each case. After that, grab a major text book (Kaplan and Sadock or APA), although these are much stiffer reading. If you do head into psychiatry, they are the introductory baseline minimum.

Thank you for the DSM casebook recommendation. I'll definitely look for the companion to DSM V and earlier editions next time I'm at the library. Are there any other good case and puzzle books?

At this stage I'm not so much looking into the details of various psychotherapies. I meant that I'd like to find something that teaches and demonstrates the fundamentals of the psychiatric interview and possibly the approach to various types of patients. My library has lots of DVD's covering the physical exam and a few covering the psychotherapies, but nary a psychiatric assessment film. I was just hinting that, if there are any demonstrations out there of an excellent therapy session, I'd like to see them too, on the side.