Resources used for the math section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syntha-9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was curious on what everyone used for resources to study for the math section of the PCAT and any tips to performing well? Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I used Princeton Review's Cracking the PCAT book, although I think it was a bit overkill. I also used Kaplan's PCAT book, although I think they were a little too easy. Overall though, the two together was pretty helpful and I also did the practice tests from Pearson to help me with my timing :)

Syntha-9,

I used the Kaplan PCAT book to study for the math, in addition to consulting other sources on topics I wasn't too strong at.

In general, most of your problems will fall into one of these 3 categories:
  • Probability/Statistics
  • Pre-Algebra/Algebra
  • Calculus
Kaplan's prep book is about ~70 pages of mathematics material; it does a good job of covering the probability/statistics and pre-algebra/algebra sections...But it is sorely lacking in regards to Calculus. In my opinion, if you haven't done math in a while, you'd definitely need another resource for calculus.

Some specific topics Kaplan's book actually doesn't cover but can appear on the PCAT include:
  • Derivatives of sine/cosine functions (and other related functions)
  • Implicit differentiation
  • Chain rule method for derivatives
  • Vector addition (both graphically and algebraically)
  • Topics on imaginary numbers (very basic stuff regarding this topic)
  • Values of your sine/cosine functions (i.e. cos(0) = 1, cos(pi/2) = ?, etc.)
  • Lots of log information...know your log rules!
  • Etc...
My Suggestion (in this order)
  • Use some PCAT study book to begin your math studying (whether it's Kaplan or an other book is completely up to you).
  • Purchase the Pearson study guide to the PCAT, which tells you exactly what topics are on the PCAT's math section. The study guide also contains 45 sample math problems which will give you a very good idea of what kinds of math problems can be asked of you
  • Use a secondary resource to help you with your weaker topics...(for me, calculus was my weak topic and I consulted Khan's academy videos, YouTube tutorials, and an old AP Calculus review book from Princeton Review)
  • Purchase and use all 3 of the Pearson PCAT practice exams...they not only expose you to the types of question you will actually see on the PCAT, but they will help you with your timing on the mathematics section as well; review and re-study the topics related to the questions you get wrong on the practice exams...
My Background
Just so you have something to compare with, I thought I'd give you my background.

I am a student who took the PCAT after 4 years of college (a B.S. degree in biochemistry). The last time I took a mathematics course was in high school, when I took AP Calculus BC; so in essence, I hadn't touched any calculus or math for 4 years before this exam.

I studied for about a month and a half for the PCAT, leaving the last two weeks to only go over actual PCAT practice exams.
I eventually scored in the 93rd percentile in the quantitative ability section, and 92nd percentile for composite.

I was nervous about the quantitative ability section because it had been so long since I had touched math...for me, my timing on the quantitative ability section was my biggest flaw. Time would expire and I'd still have 5 questions I hadn't read...this was mostly improved through doing practice exams.

Anyways, best of luck in your endeavors, and I hope you do well on your PCAT. If you have any questions, you can reply here, or private message me. Thanks for reading!