Respiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lillie.l

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to know what does it mean when it is said that the chest is at rest.
Thank you

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I would like to know what does it mean when it is said that the chest is at rest.
Thank you

Some more context, like the root question would make it easier for people to give you a correct answer. But my guess would be the pause between the expiration and the next inspiration, or vice versa.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Thank you

When the chest is at rest you are in the relaxed state. During relaxation of the chest your intercostals are "pressing" against the lungs and causing exhalation of CO2 and other bodily gases. You are increasing pressure on your lungs which in turn exhales a volume (the tidal volume) of air. When you inhale, you are ACTIVELY expanding your chest, your intercostals retract your diaphragm and your lungs experience a decrease in pressure which will in turn cause the outside air to move into your lungs to reach pressure equilibrium. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user