Results of forecast board are up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The results of the military's GME forecast board are up this week. For the Air Force, the link is here. I notice that we're still using the same crappy Word template for the GME application that's been in service for a decade. Be sure to change it to ".doc" so that your computer will recognize it. When oh when will the AF move to ERAS?

For medical students, the approved specialties are:

Anesthesia 9 at PGY-1, 4 at PGY-2
Emergency Medicine 35
Family Medicine 52
Family Medicine/ Flight Medicine 1
Family Medicine/ Aerospace Med 5
General Surgery 34
Internal Medicine 48 at PGY-1, 4 at PGY-2
Neurology 4
Neurological Surgery 2
OB/GYN 14
Ophthalmology 2 at PGY-1, 2 at PGY-2
Orthopaedic Surgery 15
Otolaryngology 7
Pathology 11
Pediatrics 30
Psychiatry 26
Radiation Oncology 5
Radiology 14 at PGY-1, 14 at PGY-2
Transitional Medicine 22
Urology 4

Members don't see this ad.

General Surgery has two new spots in Nellis, which was not even an option to do an ADT in. Does anyone have any information about the program they have there?

I'm also looking for some information on the general surgery program at Keesler. I think some of the previous posts are pre-Katrina information..

thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
35 is a lot for EM. About half should be deferral spots this year.

20 are for deferral, 1 is civilian sponsorship. I wouldn't say "lucky" given that the applicants this year will be the returning flight surgeons from three years ago when the SG forced every non-select into FS. The applicant pool is going to be oversaturated with GMOs and their higher points from the selection board.

General Surgery has two new spots in Nellis, which was not even an option to do an ADT in. Does anyone have any information about the program they have there?

I'm also looking for some information on the general surgery program at Keesler. I think some of the previous posts are pre-Katrina information..

thanks for the help!

My knowledge of the Nellis situation is secondhand, so try to seek better sources before you make any decisions, but I will make some general comments. I will tell you that this is a brand new residency program in conjunction with the University of Nevada. And I would be leery of a new residency program--it may turn out great, it may not, but there are bound to be some growing pains. Ask a lot of questions and don't take answers from the program director at face value. Particularly in the AF, appropriate case volume and acuity is bound to be an issue. If they are doing the program right, it should be fully integrated with the University so you can do many of your key rotations (Trauma, CT, Vascular, Ped. Surg., etc.)at the civilian hospitals. If they are trying to do more of a free-standing program with most of your time spent at Nellis, then be VERY, VERY, careful.

Keesler has had problems re-starting the surgical residency post Katrina and reportedly failed their fist RRC site visit a couple years ago. Apparently they now are accredited, and I have heard better news about the program recently, but again, be careful with a new/reorganized program. If you are a top-notch Allopathic applicant you can do MUCH better.

The Air Force is profoundly desperate for general surgeons, so my suggestion would be to make your desires for training location (active-duty, deferred, etc.) abundantly clear. I am guessing that they will try to accomodate you.

20 are for deferral, 1 is civilian sponsorship. I wouldn't say "lucky" given that the applicants this year will be the returning flight surgeons from three years ago when the SG forced every non-select into FS. The applicant pool is going to be oversaturated with GMOs and their higher points from the selection board.

Another thing to keep in mind is this is just the "forecast". The number of positions may change between now and mid-December without any notice. I have seen this happen in previous years.

On a side note, I am amazed by how few Anesthesiologist positions there are, yet how many Ortho/GS/ENT/Uro/Opth positions there are. Also 26 for Psych and 5 for Radiation Oncology, but only 4 for Opthamology and Neurology, are you serious???