Results of the Board Exam -June 09 session..when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patho2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is 7/17 and the results of May/June exam haven't been released yet. It might be out next week though.

Until you receive the result, it will be almost end of July. If fail, you have to re-sit in October session but the time you have would be too short to prepare again...From Aug to October..less than two months..

Why do they make the two sessions close to each other? Shouldn't they make the next session in Nov or Dec, instead of October so that they give people more time for preparation ? The holidays in Nov/ Dec don't justify not having the exam in them....

The two yearly exam sessions should have adequate time between them..May/June-Nov/Dec would be optimal, instead of May/June-October ..

Do you guys agree?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I heard the results come around early to mid august. Not sure I would take it Fall if I were to fail. I would probably retake it next spring again. But after taking test, not sure if studying will actually help :p

They said results would be sent 4-6 weeks after the last batch of test takers, which happened during the week of June 22-26. I'm guessing the end of next week would be the absolute earliest we could hear something, but the first two weeks of August are probably more realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine told me that his PD got an email from the ABP on Friday saying that the pass rate for the recently concluded Spring boards is 90% for AP and 80% for CP. Did anybody else get this same news from their PD?

If those numbers are correct, then the pass rate this year is much higher than in previous years...

A friend of mine told me that his PD got an email from the ABP on Friday saying that the pass rate for the recently concluded Spring boards is 90% for AP and 80% for CP. Did anybody else get this same news from their PD?

If those numbers are correct, then the pass rate this year is much higher than in previous years...

Depends on if they are talking about the overall pass rate or the pass rate of first time takers. Last year the pass rates for first time takers of AP and CP were 88% and 77%, respectively.

<cite>www.abpath.org/2009ABPExaminer.pdf </cite>

i heard those numbers were for first-time takers...

They should be for 1st time candidates...
Repeaters always have a very low pass rates..I don't know why! may be they score them differently or may be due to reasons related to the repeaters themselves! lol..

Results were mailed July 24th. Updated on the board website.

Great...so that means at most 4-5 more days to savor the sweet denial that everything went alright....

My last year's passing certificate is dated 7/31/08. I have no recollection of when the actual date I received the 'you passed' letter was.

Best wishes to everyone....

Do you guys recommend taking it in October 09 if......? or it is not recommended because of the short period of time...almost two months only..

My last year's passing certificate is dated 7/31/08. I have no recollection of when the actual date I received the 'you passed' letter was.
Straight from the ABP site:

"SPRING 2009 AP/CP. Results were mailed on July 24. If you have not received your results by August 7, you may contact the board office."

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, I remember last year that they updated the website on a monday to indicate that they had sent out the results the previous friday.

I am so nervous that I am physically ill.

yeah i almost just regurgitated my coffee onto the keyboard

i'm not going to be able to sleep now..... just when i had put all that anguish behind me

ScreenHunter_10Jul251431.gif

Comment: It must be hard to scrape by on a paltry 3 million a year in exam fees.
Yes, we better expand pathology residencies to help them get more fees.

ScreenHunter_10Jul251431.gif

Comment: It must be hard to scrape by on a paltry 3 million a year in exam fees.
Yes, we better expand pathology residencies to help them get more fees.

At what website are you finding these tax forms? I am curious about a few things.

!

Last edited:
I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
They should be for 1st time candidates...
Repeaters always have a very low pass rates..I don't know why! may be they score them differently or may be due to reasons related to the repeaters themselves! lol..

I know why.

When you select a question choice, THE VERY ACT OF MAKING THE SELECTION makes you believe your answer was the correct one.

Therefore, if you chose an incorrect answer, and then you retake the test and you are faced with the very same question, you are likely to choose the same answer you chose when you took the exam for the first time.

I know why.

When you select a question choice, THE VERY ACT OF MAKING THE SELECTION makes you believe your answer was the correct one.

Therefore, if you chose an incorrect answer, and then you retake the test and you are faced with the very same question, you are likely to choose the same answer you chose when you took the exam for the first time.

I also think that some people go into pathology and just do not have it. They either have no innate ability for surgical pathology, or they are lazy and just cruise during residency. I know of several people I have met during my training that have no shot of passing the boards no matter how hard they study, yet they continue to give the donation to the ABP.

I hear they are mailing these signs in with your ABP exam results:
obamaguy.jpg

ItaysWorld_Homeless_Signs_05.jpg

homeless-my-ass.jpg

any truth to this??

Actually, at the pathologist in Kansas Dr. Cunningham's salary, he would be able to pay off his AP/CP boards (if he were to take them today) in about 60 months. If he were to take an additional one or two subspecialty board examinations, he may have to pass that debt onto his children.

ABP do not care how much you are making, they are collecting their 2200 a month and 1800 a month for subspecialty board examinations, and living it up in a beautiful location in Tampa, Florida.

LOL, Excellent pictures!
Thanks

Letter came today. Passed AP/CP. Seriously the biggest relief of my entire life.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Pass. Congrats to those who made it. Condolences to those who didn't.

oh thank you Betsy.... the weight is off my shoulders!!!! I am now an AP/CP diplomate, time to celebrate!..... Good luck to the rest of you SDNers still waiting for your results!!:)

Passed AP/CP. Almost threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw the envelope.

Cheers!

Passed!

*does the Snoopy dance*

Really glad I only found out today that the boards results were mailed Friday. Otherwise the last few days would have been quite intolerable.

passed, congrats to the sdners!

The thrill of victory!

Dan Remick, M.D.
Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine

Passed too. Congratulations to us all! What a relief to our collective shoulders :)

Congrats to everyone....I passsssed too..I was very nervous.!

Passed! woot!
Congrats all!

OK it is official. the ABP are scumbags. i was just talking to this kid who comes by a lot as he is going in to derm. he just told me he failed the CP part but passed the AP. he decided to cut his losses and stick with just AP. they are charging him $1800 extra to get the AP only certification. WTF.

Question for those of you from last year or before, when did you receive your actual certificate?

OMFG I passed both AP/CP!!!!!!!11!!!!1!!!eleven

My choices for tonite:

A. Get crunk at home

B. Get crunk at a bar

C. Get crunk at a strip club

D. Do fellowship related work.

Betsy will you marry me?

Question for those of you from last year or before, when did you receive your actual certificate?

Yeah passed both as well but when do we get the diploma thing with all of the signatures and stuff.

Does anyone know if a candidate has been successful after asking for their exam to be re-scored?

I passed the practical portion, but was just a few points shy of passing the written (everyone who passed can stop gloating now:oops:).

They offer the option to have your exam re-evaluated- is it just another way for them to squeeze money from us or has anyone ever had their score changed as a result?

I asked for the rescore. Clearly I am still in denial but they must have mixed up my slide box right??? I imagine the "rescore" is probably equivalent to them printing another copy of your fail letter and mailing it...but I'll try anything to not have to go through that nightmare again...

Do they still have the top-bottom quartile thing? Or is it just pass/fail??

well if you fail they break down subject areas into thirds and tell you where you suck the hardest...

So anyone have any ideas how these things are scored? I got 496 on CP practical and they say 500 is passing. How many questions does this translate to? Did I fail because I missed the 7 (not exagerating) mycobacterial questions?

Asking for rescoring is useless. Just accept it and plan to re-take it. Should you decide to retake it again in October, remember that the deadline is Aug 15.

And also remember not to lose confidence in yourself. It is just a matter of dirty game of "numbers"....the one who passes with 501 is not better than the one who fails with 499! Very sad!..

Take it in October......Delaying the exam to June 2010 may work in the reverse..The Board doesn't give "fair" intervals between the sessions. This is an important point I raised in this thread. It is just two months for the October session ..it makes more sense to make the fall session in Nov/Dec..

I know how you feel.

Back to the books! I wish you nothing but all the best.

Congratulations to all of those who passed! And to those who didn't, I am sending love and good thoughts your way. Hang in there guys. :love:

OMFG I passed both AP/CP!!!!!!!11!!!!1!!!eleven

C. Get crunk at a strip club

?

Hold it, I like option C, but what is getting crunked actually mean? Is that naughty or what?

Hold it, I like option C, but what is getting crunked actually mean? Is that naughty or what?

You gotta brush up on your hip hop vocabulary Ladoc.

crunk = crazy drunk

And yes I went with choice C. Just like I did on the boards. Both worked quite well.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I've decided to go for the rescore anyway, wanna make sure to further pad those ABP coffers before I hand over another examination fee.