Resusitation Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmb1908

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an EM intern who originally thought that I would want to do a CCM fellowship after residency, but I realize that I don't like the nuances and minor details of critical care. Been hearing Scott Weingart talk about his advanced training program in resuscitation, and I think that's more my speed.

Other than his program, does anyone else know of any up and coming advanced training programs/fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an EM intern who originally thought that I would want to do a CCM fellowship after residency, but I realize that I don't like the nuances and minor details of critical care. Been hearing Scott Weingart talk about his advanced training program in resuscitation, and I think that's more my speed.

Other than his program, does anyone else know of any up and coming advanced training programs/fellowships?

It isn't sexy, but the nuances and details of critical care all add up to patient outcomes. No keeping an eye on the chloride isn't as fun as doing a chest tube, glucose control is not as cool as running a code, but these things matter. It all adds up. Critical care is very detail oriented because it needs to be - because these patients are so complex and so critically sick that the small things do matter. Saying you want to be a resuscitationist but you don't want to manage the details means you want to do a half-assed job. Is that really what these patients need?

Members don't see this ad :)
Saying you want to be a resuscitationist but you don't want to manage the details means you want to do a half-assed job. Is that really what these patients need?

I disagree. What I want to do is stabilize a critically ill patient as soon as they roll into the ED and gear them for success going forward into the ICU. I don't want to practice in the ICU or manage critically ill patients over weeks at a time. Nothing about that is half-assed. Then you, and everyone else doing resuscitations as EM docs are doing halfassed jobs on a daily basis.

If you really want to improve your practice, you should consider doing a chronic low back pain fellowship

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree. What I want to do is stabilize a critically ill patient as soon as they roll into the ED and gear them for success going forward into the ICU. I don't want to practice in the ICU or manage critically ill patients over weeks at a time. Nothing about that is half-assed. Then you, and everyone else doing resuscitations as EM docs are doing halfassed jobs on a daily basis.

What do you need this fellowship for? Are you not getting this training in your residency?

If you really want to improve your practice, you should consider doing a chronic low back pain fellowship

Hahahaha.

I did a resuscitation fellowship, it was called residency (Kidding. Sort of.). Sounds to me like a half price attending year. If you want to do academics this may be a useful thing for you to do. If you have a really specific interest, i.e.: directing an ECMO program, and you can find a program centered around that (I believe Pitt has one, although I think it is a CCM program), then this may be useful. In other cases maybe less so. You should have a really good reason for doing something like this though.

I enjoy critical care.
It was one of the strongest points of my training program.

Before doing a fellowship, make sure you have clear goals.
These one year programs would likely add a lot to your knowledge base.

Critical care is a tiny portion of the patients you will see in your career.
It is important to know how to manage these patients, but at most places your goal is initial stabilization and to try to get them out of the department as soon as possible. If you work at a place that boards a lot of these patients, you may be involved in managing them further.

If you really want to do critical care, I would do the 2 year fellowship and get board certified.
If you just want to expand your knowledge base, I would just work like hell in residency to learn as much as possible.

There is so much to learn in EM, especially in topics which may not be as interesting as the crashing patient.
I think focusing too much on a narrow topic takes away from the time that could be spent expanding your breath of knowledge.

I was obviously kidding about back pain, but you will see way more of those patients then you will the real sick patient.