Retail or Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup, I've never worked at a place that paid for a lunch hour, and only 1 place when I was a technician that had an hour (unpaid) lunch. Every other job I've had, has either had 30 minutes unpaid or no lunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Every other job I've had, has either had 30 minutes unpaid or no lunch.
? All the retail grocery stores (costco, SAMs , Walmart , target) that close for lunch technically get a 30 mns paid lunch ( for the pharmacist).

As for hospitals I am not sure , if most do that or not. But at my hospital pharmacist and techs get 30 mns paid lunches. The understanding is that this 30 mns is two 15 mns combined , paid breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 30 min unpaid plus officially 15 min unpaid but we are professional and figure if we get our work done who cares about 15 to 30 min extra

LOL. Me and my evening partner at my old hospital used to take 1.5 hr-2hr breaks each since we were both fast enough to handle being alone for extended periods of time.

LOL. Me and my evening partner at my old hospital used to take 1.5 hr-2hr breaks each since we were both fast enough to handle being alone for extended periods of time.

Then why the heck leave for the pediatric hospital...

Thought I'd like pediatrics, thought I'd like the overnight shift since I'd have more days off, $10k more, felt like my hospital was going to be downsized or something because of constant losses.
dude - a lot of hospitals are downsizing their pharamacy departments (actually all departments) to try to cut salary costs- the for profit hospitals have about 45% of their costs as salary, and the average non-profit sits at about 55%

A good amount of pharmacy technicians from my experience are extremely helpful in the retail setting. Doctor Hue, it seems like you haven't worked in a pharmacy for too long to understand. When I become a pharmacist I will treat them like gold. Trust me, you should too. They will be the ones that will make your life easier. And if not, then treat them like coal. I do agree that some companies should distinguish pharmacists vs technicians though. I also agree that both retail and hospital have drama. There's going to be drama everywhere, and there is also going to be issues. That's why it is a job.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
PA, the CVS I went to for my training had two techs working at the time. They looked like freshmen in college and had goofy personalities. I understand that techs are useful in the pharmacy but it just makes me feel less professional to be working among people like this. I don't mind goofy personalities but the person has to have it shown that they are well established (they have went to pharmacy school and have received a pharmD), otherwise I feel like they would be less intelligent than me. I would prefer to work with people who are as equally intelligent or more compared to me, that way I'd actually be able to learn and thrive. I wouldn't be able to thrive in an environment that inhabits goofy college freshmen.

You're completely clueless, aren't you? Do you have ANY idea what it's like to work in a pharmacy without technicians? Good technicians are worth their weight in gold. It sounds like working with you would be a real drag. You're the one who will end up rubbing people the wrong way with that attitude. Who cares if technicians "don't have any aspirations to be a pharmacist"? Some people are career technicians and like it. Please don't disrespect technicians by putting them down for not having the same goals as you. Your attitude will change real fast once you tick off your techs and they all quit, leaving you to do all the retail work yourself.

You're going to be working with technicians your whole career. Those who give respect, get respect in return. Get used to it and start respecting your co-workers. I'm a pharmacist and can't stand working with other pharmacists like you who treat techs like crap.

Reactions: 4 users
You're completely clueless, aren't you? Do you have ANY idea what it's like to work in a pharmacy without technicians? Good technicians are worth their weight in gold. It sounds like working with you would be a real drag. You're the one who will end up rubbing people the wrong way with that attitude. Who cares if technicians "don't have any aspirations to be a pharmacist"? Some people are career technicians and like it. Please don't disrespect technicians by putting them down for not having the same goals as you. Your attitude will change real fast once you tick off your techs and they all quit, leaving you to do all the retail work yourself.

You're going to be working with technicians your whole career. Those who give respect, get respect in return. Get used to it and start respecting your co-workers. I'm a pharmacist and can't stand working with other pharmacists like you who treat techs like crap.
word -

I know my techs are sane bc they dont have aspirations to spend every other paycheck on paying back their student loans. Ha! (I still try to convince them to go to school, though).

Reactions: 1 user
I start Tuesday as a p1. Wish me luck everyone. I'll be 29 when I'm out lol.

It looks like hourly pharmacist jobs are slowly going the way of the dodo. My hospital lost the fight to keep everyone hourly, now people are forced to slave tons of extra hours for free. No more evening, weekend, or holiday differentials. We really had it nice for a while, but some of these salary jobs really can be brutal. Management has the expectation that we stay until our work is done, and in some places that can take 2-4 hours longer than an 8hr shift. Doing that everyday gets olds, especially when we used to get paid overtime for it. Now we get nothing. At least management gets big-fat bonuses for their extra work, but we don't even get that.

It looks like most other chains and hospitals are also following this trend. I know someone that works at a busy Safeway store, and she says management flat our told she had to work 3-hours extra everyday for free.

A few years ago, I knew of pharmacists that would work 7-days on 7-days off, and would pick up OT shifts on all of their 7-days off. I don't know if that kind of thing exists anymore.

It looks like hourly pharmacist jobs are slowly going the way of the dodo. My hospital lost the fight to keep everyone hourly, now people are forced to slave tons of extra hours for free. No more evening, weekend, or holiday differentials. We really had it nice for a while, but some of these salary jobs really can be brutal. Management has the expectation that we stay until our work is done, and in some places that can take 2-4 hours longer than an 8hr shift. Doing that everyday gets olds, especially when we used to get paid overtime for it. Now we get nothing. At least management gets big-fat bonuses for their extra work, but we don't even get that.

It looks like most other chains and hospitals are also following this trend. I know someone that works at a busy Safeway store, and she says management flat our told she had to work 3-hours extra everyday for free.

A few years ago, I knew of pharmacists that would work 7-days on 7-days off, and would pick up OT shifts on all of their 7-days off. I don't know if that kind of thing exists anymore.
I think what you say is a little extremist. we are salary (but get differential). We stay until our work is done - that teaches you to be efficient. Me - If I put in 41 hours of work in a week - I feel like I donated an hour of my time - I leave on time 9 out of 10 days. Others I know - if they leave within an our of their assigned shift, they are lucky. Moral of the story - get you crap done on time.

When I moonlight retail - I rarely was there 15 min past closing time.

If they wanna use the "stay until your work is done", that should go both ways. Meaning you can leave early if you finish early.
yup - agreed - but you and I both know how that will turn out

Reactions: 1 user