Retail Pharmacy in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digsbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 4th year I'm doing research, finding salary data and taking from my rotations experiences that will shape what I go on to do (residency/clinical or retail).

It seems retail jobs appear (at least on salary data sites) to pay significantly higher in California than in other states. It doesn't seem too shocking to find pharmacy manager salaries being near 150k+ a bonus. Even staff pharmacists are making around 130k+ starting out from what I see.

This is just data I've seen, but it is all its cracked up to be? I know labor laws are different, so do all pharmacists basically work 8 hour shifts? Would anyone recommend California for retail?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Housing here costs 3X and rent avg $2k/mo for 1 bedroom in good area.

Retail at $75/h (150k) that's for pharmacy manager in the sh1t hole BFE normally 2-3 hours from major cities. If you like the money so much, by all means, come here.

Everyone is moving to California!

Is it more expensive here? Of course.

Is it worth it? Probably.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love sum of that Cali life....so relaxing

144k base salary with a 250k house. Need to go inland to make it worth it in CA.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

move to cali because of money? hahahaha no

move here for the lifestyle? def yes

I actually prefer the lifestyle in less populated areas where you can own 10 acres and never see your neighbors.... plus I'm told that rural areas pay descent too because apparently not everyone want's to live/work there for whatever reason

The culture, lifestyle, politics, demographics, climate, etc. of Central California are not too different from rural Texas, except for higher taxes in California.

really its a great package for the pharmacist in california compared to other states in USA, but u also need to consider the cost of living there.

As a 4th year I'm doing research, finding salary data and taking from my rotations experiences that will shape what I go on to do (residency/clinical or retail).

It seems retail jobs appear (at least on salary data sites) to pay significantly higher in California than in other states. It doesn't seem too shocking to find pharmacy manager salaries being near 150k+ a bonus. Even staff pharmacists are making around 130k+ starting out from what I see.

This is just data I've seen, but it is all its cracked up to be? I know labor laws are different, so do all pharmacists basically work 8 hour shifts? Would anyone recommend California for retail?

Or you could move down to the sticks and make the exact same amount with less in taxes, less in rent/housing, cheaper gas, cheaper food and a short drive to Nashville for your entertainment needs.

move to cali because of money? hahahaha no

move here for the lifestyle? def yes

What is the lifestyle? Do people **** and eat differently there? Do pharmacy people get more free time there outside of work? Pardon my french, but I am considering of moving there and I wanna know as much as I can before I make the leap of faith. :)

Just how different are the labor laws? Can you please list the differences?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love sum of that Cali life....so relaxing

What about the draughts and earthquakes? Food prices and housing insurance? I don't really like sands, oceans and beaches, not at all. I don't like being in water except for baths and showers. I am also a bit of a cheapskate. I like to hoard, not spend. Are there other perks for someone like me to move there?

Personally I don't like snowy winters nor humid summers and couldn't care less about experiencing four seasons a year. If you aren't a fan of desert climates or precipitation, that leaves a large swath of California, which "happens" to include SoCal and the Bay Area. However, this also includes less expensive areas like the Sacramento area and the Inland Empire, which are fine if you're into that boring suburban life.

What about the draughts and earthquakes? Food prices and housing insurance? I don't really like sands, oceans and beaches, not at all. I don't like being in water except for baths and showers. I am also a bit of a cheapskate. I like to hoard, not spend. Are there other perks for someone like me to move there?

Actually everything is cheaper in Cali except for the houses. In NJ...the taxes are much higher....on everything...that you end up paying more if you plan to settle here vs Cali. A decent home in Cali is probably 500-800k...whereas ones in NJ may cost about 400-600k. I think in the long run---cali is a much cheaper option if you can afford the slightly higher real estate up front cost.

I don't really like sands, oceans and beaches, not at all. I don't like being in water except for baths and showers.

..and yet you live in Florida and are thinking of moving to California? You should just move to the midwest where everything is dirt cheap. You can save tons of money there.

yeah I was about to say the samething, sounds like you need to live in Midwest or middle of nowhere

yeah I was about to say the samething, sounds like you need to live in Midwest or middle of nowhere

I wasn't born in the US, I moved here as a teenager... I wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere here. I'd miss my pho, doro tibs and sushi too damn much...

..and yet you live in Florida and are thinking of moving to California? You should just move to the midwest where everything is dirt cheap. You can save tons of money there.

Why is everything dirt cheap there?

What are your reasons for thinking to move to California?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've visited California's major cities a few times, they're overhyped. I am thinking of moving there because of my mom, who will probably be old and alone in a few more years. She doesn't speak English, but in certain immigrant dominant cities/areas of California, one doesn't have to know English to function and to live. I've bumped into little old Asian ladies there on the sidewalks who don't know English but are out grocery shopping by themselves. I just want to find her a comfortable place to do what she has to do in her remaining years.

Then again, I can always persuade her to move back home by herself... It just seems like a very irresponsible thing a daughter can do to an elderly widow, but it would be the easiest way.

Are there other cities you can think of that can fit the needs of my mom? Or should I just let her move in with me and my American fiancée who speaks only English, so she could follow us wherever we go for as long as she lives?

Last edited:
The biggest difference is that they're paid hourly there so you clock in and out. It's not like in other states where if it's busy at closing time or the person relieving you is late, you work extra and don't get paid. In CA you get paid for the whole time you're there. Any shift over 8 hours becomes 1.5x pay and over 12 hours becomes double time. Also if you don't clock out for your mandatory lunch you get paid more too. I'm sure companies frown upon paying more than they have to so they avoid these things at all costs. But the law is the law, sometimes you can't avoid paying employees overtime.

I think there was a class action law suit against CVS cause the employees had to stay an extra 1 min to get their coats/bagged checkef before leaving the store and they didn't get paid for that. That's CA labor laws for you.

Also for some reason CVS starting salary was $62/hr in BFE (inland empire) CA while Boston area was only $53/hr. This was back in 2014. I'm pretty sure it costs the same or more to live in Boston than almost anywhere in CA.

Last edited:
I've visited California's major cities a few times, they're overhyped. I am thinking of moving there because of my mom, who will probably be old and alone in a few more years. She doesn't speak English, but in certain immigrant dominant cities/areas of California, one doesn't have to know English to function and to live. I've bumped into little old Asian ladies there on the sidewalks who don't know English but are out grocery shopping by themselves. I just want to find her a comfortable place to do what she has to do in her remaining years.

Then again, I can always persuade her to move back home by herself... It just seems like a very irresponsible thing a daughter can do to an elderly widow, but it would be the easiest way.

Are there other cities you can think of that can fit the needs of my mom? Or should I just let her move in with me and my American fiancée who speaks only English, so she could follow us wherever we go for as long as she lives?

Didn't your mom take care of you? I think it is only fair that you return the favor.

Pretty much anywhere within 30 mile radius from the beach in Southern California would fit her needs especially places like Alhambra, Monterey Park, Rowland Heights. If you want to live it up then Pasadena, Irvine would be a better option.

Housing is pretty expensive in Southern California when you take away all of the "undesirable" places. If you buy a place then it can be a decent investment since more and more people around the U.S and the world are moving to California.

San Diego is also nice and it is cheaper but LA and OC are more diverse. Spend a weekend here and drive around. I am sure you will find out what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I wasn't born in the US, I moved here as a teenager... I wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere here. I'd miss my pho, doro tibs and sushi too damn much...

lol well the way you described yourself is really hard to suggest for you to move to any coastal cities.... cheap and doesn't seem to like outdoors very much... mainly cheap, because coastal cities are significantly more expensive and California has higher tax

BUT, if your mom is Chinese then she wouldn't need English in San Gabriel in LA or Chinatown/sunset district in SF... San Gabriel is much cheaper than sf

Why is everything dirt cheap there?

There's a ton of land and not as many people, so houses are a lot cheaper. I'm sure there's more nuance to this, but typically when real estate is cheap everything else tends to be cheaper as well. Coastal cities are often restrained by the fact that they are sitting near water and can't expand in all directions. San Francisco sits on the tip of a peninsula and has no room to grow. For a Florida example, look to South Florida which is crammed into a thin strip between the Atlantic and the Everglades. It's much more expensive down there compared to Orlando because there is nowhere to grow.

It's because of my mom who will probably be old and alone in a few more years. She doesn't speak English, but in certain cities of California, one doesn't have to know English to function and to live. I just want to find her a comfortable place to do what she has to do in her remaining years.

Then again, I can always persuade her to move back home by herself. It just seems like a very irresponsible thing a daughter can do to an elderly widow.
lol well the way you described yourself is really hard to suggest for you to move to any coastal cities.... cheap and doesn't seem to like outdoors very much... mainly cheap, because coastal cities are significantly more expensive and California has higher tax

BUT, if your mom is Chinese then she wouldn't need English in San Gabriel in LA or Chinatown/sunset district in SF... San Gabriel is much cheaper than sf

Hey now I enjoy outdoors to some capacity. I very much liked hiking in the redwood forest. I just can't swim too well, and I am one of those pale-looking Asians. I get a sunburn easily. What about fishing? Does indoor climbing count as outdoors? :p Guess not huh. :rolleyes: I'll look into San Gabriel.