Retail - taking the day off??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working part time hours at an independent. This was a choice I made bcoz the flexibility helped me a lot, especially being a mom to young kids .. I'm curious abt how certain things work in retail chains.. What do u working parents, esp moms do when ur kids r really sick, staying home from school, and u have full day shifts to cover? Can u call off? Wht options do u have, when u really can't get to work on ur shift?
Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working part time hours at an independent. This was a choice I made bcoz the flexibility helped me a lot, especially being a mom to young kids .. I'm curious abt how certain things work in retail chains.. What do u working parents, esp moms do when ur kids r really sick, staying home from school, and u have full day shifts to cover? Can u call off? Wht options do u have, when u really can't get to work on ur shift?
Thanks..
Yes, you can. Tell your scheduler/boss you can't make it today before the store opens. Do NOT show up. That's it. They will send someone else to work for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Plan to work at least part of your shift until coverage is found if it is a last minute request.

Yes, you can. Tell your scheduler/boss you can't make it today before the store opens. Do NOT show up. That's it. They will send someone else to work for you.
My area isn't "saturated" like everywhere else. The store more than likely would end up opening late or not at all. I try not to do that to the scheduler.