Retail to Clinical Position or Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humbeez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Like many other pharmacists I am looking to make the transition from retail. After searching for many months, I've pretty much come to
the conclusion that a residency is the only way. I plan to apply for residencies next year. For pharmacists who have successfully made the
transition, how did you make yourself a competitive applicant for residency. I have inquired about shadowing/volunteering at hospitals, but dont think this is sufficient enough. I have been out of school and a retail pharmacist for three years.

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

It's not the only way, look for evening/night shifts at smaller hospitals outside of big metro areas that may be willing to hire direct from retail.

I doubt you can go from retail to a clinical pharmacy position. Getting a residency after three years could be possible but still a long shot.

A more promising strategy may be to get a staff pharmacy position at a hospital where staff pharmacists occasionally get to work in decentralized satellites and then when a clinical pharmacy position opens up you may have a shot.

Even that won't be easy. Networking is the key because I think every single HR resume reading software will flag you for the circular file. Prime networking contacts would be former preceptors and classmates working at hospitals. Hopefully, they see one positive of working retail is a good customer service attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been trying for the last two years to break into a clinical setting from retail. At this point I have given up on it. Networking will only go so far. In one case I had a relative who worked in the same hospital. He spoke to the clinical pharmacy manager and vouched for me. I did not even get a chance to interview. There are simply too many pharmacists with all kinds of experience looking for jobs, and they will be preferred over an entry level applicant. A residency may help, but from what I have been told, is no guarantee of a position.

I have to agree with the previous poster. I wouldn't consider a residency your golden ticket. It will help your chances, but with the job market the way it is you may end up staffing. Is that worth the risk and lost salary? Only you can answer that.

Just go back and complete a residency. Don't have life-long regrets! Even if you don't land a clinical job immediately, you can always apply to jobs that require clinical experience.

Retail is retail... no room for growth, just more demands by corporate.

Try to land a PRN position at a nearby hospital that also has a residency program. It's an easy way to get your foot in the door, know the management, and learn their system. This will put you far ahead of anyone who is just graduating.