Retake AAMC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryush

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a retaker from last summer and I was wondering if you guys would suggest retaking the aamc exams again versus the GS ones that are new to me. I plan on taking Kaplan 1-6 (which I didn't take last summer either) in addition, however was in doubt of whether or not the benefit of taking the AAMC ones would not be worth it if it's a retake versus an 'inferior' practice test.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake them. You won't remember them, sure things will seem familiar and you shouldn't count the scores as what you would actually get. (I'd aim for high retakes).

IMO the most important part of AAMCs is not just learning the material but the way they word their questions and answers. They are very methodical. You will pick up on this when you redo them and go over your exams. Moreover, their verbal is simply the best.

I don't understand how people reuse practice exams. I can't do it, I flat-out recognize too many of the right answers.

If you really feel you don't remember them, I guess go for it. But if you find yourself remembering the passages I'd use new tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take some others to get some predictive value.. but definitely re-use the later AAMCs to get comfortable with current MCAT style questions again. Just don't expect to hit the same scores as you are in those AAMCs since you will recognize a few answers (even if you think you forgot everything..).

Hey all, I'm a retaker from last summer and I was wondering if you guys would suggest retaking the aamc exams again versus the GS ones that are new to me. I plan on taking Kaplan 1-6 (which I didn't take last summer either) in addition, however was in doubt of whether or not the benefit of taking the AAMC ones would not be worth it if it's a retake versus an 'inferior' practice test.

Thanks!

Don't reuse them, they wont give you an accurate assessment of your progress. I had to retake my MCAT. The next best thing to the AAMC are TBR practice exams. Also try to find AAMC 6 but take the results with a gran of salt.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm thinking that the main value behind retaking them would lie in practicing passages that are as similar to the real thing as possible. I understand my scores would be inflated.

Guess I'm just unsure of whether spending my time doing that or taking practice tests with new material would be more beneficial.