Retake advice: Would it be considered ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearintraining

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wrote my MCAT July, but feel less than confident about my score. It's still 3 weeks before I find out, but I wanted to get some advice as to how schools would consider me in the following scenario:

My primary is currently in the queue for verification with 1 school selected. I was planning on waiting until I get my score before I submit to other schools, particularly since verification will be complete around the same time (~Aug18).

In the event that I do not score well or competitively (I live in the US, am Canadian with a PhD and Postdoc), I think it'll be best to rewrite this year (i.e. by September22) since the information will be relatively fresh in my mind. My question is whether if you update your AMCAS to indicate that you are rewriting, will schools actually wait for the new score, or do you think they will evaluate me for this year's cycle regardless? The difference it would make is that if I know I still have a chance with a rewrite, then I would continue to study fairly extensively right now and plan for September 3 MCAT (first day one can register after an Aug 18th score release)... if not, I would stretch it out to September 22nd.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I know some schools have a cutoff of a July MCAT in terms of admissions...I would contact the schools individually..and check if they would consider a Sept MCAT for this cycle or next. Also, they will eval as soon as your July MCAT comes in...if they don't like it...they may wait (if they consider Sept MCATS)..or they will make a decision then.