Retake C in Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangutang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you chew me out I searched the forums and couldn't find a straight answer. All the answers specified C- or C+ or weren't about a a prereq class, or were just too old to be relevant.

Heres the deal. I got a B in Bio II and Orgo I. I got a C in Orgo II and Physio. A's in everything else for a 3.71 GPA 3.63 sGPA. No MCAT scores. Orgo II is a prereq for med school. Do I retake it? I can't take any future classes that show my mastery of Orgo II, it's not like say Bio 1 where I can take Bio 2 and ace it. What do you guys think?

I'm secretly a billionaire so finances aren't an issue and I have nearly all my grad requirements already so neither is time/credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time to retake Orgo, I would do so. Most schools put a great deal of weight on Orgo grades. Another option is to take Biochem and hopefully get an A. Personally, I did not like Orgo but I loved Biochem.

Two schools I applied to included the question in their secondaries, "Explain every grade in your transcript below a B." Unless you have a good explanation, it will be hard to get them to talk to you.

Before you chew me out I searched the forums and couldn't find a straight answer. All the answers specified C- or C+ or weren't about a a prereq class, or were just too old to be relevant.

Heres the deal. I got a B in Bio II and Orgo I. I got a C in Orgo II and Physio. A's in everything else for a 3.71 GPA 3.63 sGPA. No MCAT scores. Orgo II is a prereq for med school. Do I retake it? I can't take any future classes that show my mastery of Orgo II, it's not like say Bio 1 where I can take Bio 2 and ace it. What do you guys think?

I'm secretly a billionaire so finances aren't an issue and I have nearly all my grad requirements already so neither is time/credits.
If you have a free slot somewhere in your schedule, I would retake it. I don't think you have to retake it though, given the rest of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I said before, there is little, if any reason to repeat a C for purposes of MD admissions. Repeating a course and getting an A would be expected as you have now taken the course twice. It is an inefficient use of time, resources, and money. Taking additional upper level courses is much more effective when impressing an adcom
For one C, you are absolutely right.

I completely apologize for hijacking the thread and I see no point in starting a brand new thread for a small question, but say someone got a C in org I but B+ in org II? Should they retake it? I mean hypothetically speaking, Org II builds off from org I so if you did well doesn't that show you have the ability and maybe enough knowledge?

Don't retake a C. Do better in your upper level courses. I got a C in second semester O-Chem and then got an A- in biochemistry. Only one school I interviewed at ever asked me about my C in O-chem.