Retake class after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitCat

DVM Candidate, Class of 2020
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been planning on graduating this May. Two days ago I decided to retake any of my in-state's pre-reqs that I got lower than a B- in. Would holding off until next May be better? Can the student reported GPA on the VMCAS app. include classes taken after graduation? What GPA do vet schools look at first? (Just your home school? Your home school plus transfer credits?). I had a 3.2 at the time I submitted my application last cycle so I need what ever GPA the vet schools look at first to be the highest.

Members don't see this ad.

If you click the ? button next to the student reported GPA, I'm pretty sure it specifically says that it should be the GPA where the bulk of your classes were done or where you got your degree from. If it took into account all classes everywhere, my GPA actually would have been higher when I applied.

I think what GPA schools look at first is dependent on them.

I been planning on graduating this May. Two days ago I decided to retake any of my in-state's pre-reqs that I got lower than a B- in. Would holding off until next May be better? Can the student reported GPA on the VMCAS app. include classes taken after graduation? What GPA do vet schools look at first? (Just your home school? Your home school plus transfer credits?). I had a 3.2 at the time I submitted my application last cycle so I need what ever GPA the vet schools look at first to be the highest.

They look at all your grades from classes you've taken after high school no matter where you took them and when. The reported GPA can include classes taken after graduation.

What happens is your grades will all average out in the end. For example, I took classes at 3 schools (my university and 2 different community colleges). I had to send in transcripts for all those schools and include the grades in the VMCAS. The vet school looked at and evaluated all of them.

Each vet school weights and calculates GPAs slightly differently. Some schools focus on your science GPA and your last 45 credit hour GPA while others want the cumulative and the science GPA. maybe try looking them up for the individual schools you are interested in.

But if you want to raise your overall GPA then the only way you can really do that is by taking more classes and getting As in them. depending on how many credit hours you already have and how your desired school ranks GPAs it may or may not be worth retaking the classes.

What schools are you interested in? Your GPA really isn't that bad to be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you click the ? button next to the student reported GPA, I'm pretty sure it specifically says that it should be the GPA where the bulk of your classes were done or where you got your degree from. If it took into account all classes everywhere, my GPA actually would have been higher when I applied.

I think what GPA schools look at first is dependent on them.

Okay, that's what I thought it said

Have you considered holding off your graduation? At my undergrad, once you graduate you have to reapply as a second-degree student or as a non-degree student which means tuition is much higher. It's a bit silly, not sure if this is true at all schools.

Your GPA really isn't that bad to be honest.

Thanks, that's a mood booster (that I could really use right now), but unfortunately my in-state advisor told me straight up to take all pre-requisites I have lower than a B in.

I just know some schools just go through and chuck all application that have lower blank GPA. If they were going by the student reported GPA on VMCAS I wanted that to be as high as it can be, but if they calculate all courses from all schools than I guess it wouldn't matter.

Have you considered holding off your graduation? At my undergrad, once you graduate you have to reapply as a second-degree student or as a non-degree student which means tuition is much higher. It's a bit silly, not sure if this is true at all schools.

I already have over the amount of credits I need to graduate and I already applied for non-degree but I'm going to look into the tuition right now, thanks for mentioning that!

I already have over the amount of credits I need to graduate and I already applied for non-degree but I'm going to look into the tuition right now, thanks for mentioning that!

I also recommend checking that out. You will loose any possiblity of receiving financial aid or applying for most scholarships if you graduate (I know this because I made that mistake). Hold off if possible!

Thanks, that's a mood booster (that I could really use right now), but unfortunately my in-state advisor told me straight up to take all pre-requisites I have lower than a B in.

I just know some schools just go through and chuck all application that have lower blank GPA. If they were going by the student reported GPA on VMCAS I wanted that to be as high as it can be, but if they calculate all courses from all schools than I guess it wouldn't matter.

No problem. Yeah I think retaking the classes would def help boost your GPA for next time, especially if they are science classes because when the science GPA is calculated there's usually much fewer classes then your cumulative.

No problem. Yeah I think retaking the classes would def help boost your GPA for next time, especially if they are science classes because when the science GPA is calculated there's usually much fewer classes then your cumulative.

Yeah, as much as I don't want to retake them it will really help raise my SIS score for MSU

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Just a heads up, some schools won't recognize retakes for any grades that are a C or better. C's and C+'s aren't bad in an adcom's eyes. Just make sure that the schools that you are applying to aren't of this variety!

I definitely think that retaking any courses you aren't happy with can only make your application stronger! Are you planning on applying during this next vmcas cycle? If so, I would get those classes out of the way stat so that they show up on your app. If you're planning on holding out and applying for c/o 2019 and need a break, wait! However, it might be a good idea to try out taking one or two classes at a time so that you aren't super spread thin.

Don't worry, all hope is not lost! My first application (c/o 2016) I had a gpa of 3.39. I retook Orgo II and did awesome my senior year and brought my gpa up to 3.5 in time for this past cycle!

Just a heads up, some schools won't recognize retakes for any grades that are a C or better. C's and C+'s aren't bad in an adcom's eyes. Just make sure that the schools that you are applying to aren't of this variety!

I definitely think that retaking any courses you aren't happy with can only make your application stronger! Are you planning on applying during this next vmcas cycle? If so, I would get those classes out of the way stat so that they show up on your app. If you're planning on holding out and applying for c/o 2019 and need a break, wait! However, it might be a good idea to try out taking one or two classes at a time so that you aren't super spread thin.

Don't worry, all hope is not lost! My first application (c/o 2016) I had a gpa of 3.39. I retook Orgo II and did awesome my senior year and brought my gpa up to 3.5 in time for this past cycle!

I wish I would have retaken these classes earlier because I'll only be able to retake one before I turn in my app. this cycle. Instead I spent last semester and this semester taking 300/400 level biology and chem classes and have done well in them so far.

Once I narrow down my list of where I want to apply I'm going to email individual schools with any questions.

Thanks for the advice :)