Retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettypinguina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I took the DAT on Friday (the 13th) :nurse:.
My scores are as follows: PAT:19, RR:15, RC:23, BIO: 18, GC: 16, OC:17, TS:17, AA:18.
oGPA: 3.69, sGPA: 3.1
I have ~125 shadowing hours (3 docs), 300+ community service hours, and EC's.

I'm torn between retaking the DAT in August, or going with my current scores and submitting June 1.
My state doesn't have any dental schools, so I will be applying out of state, including a few WICHE schools.
Any feedback/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake. Aim for at least 21TS in your retake.

Unless you're a URM I'd retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% yes. You're auto rejected by many schools based solely on your scores.

Out of curiosity how long did you study for and what test prep materials did you use?

Retake. But go in more prepared and ANGRY. Make that test your b!tch and don't let it intimidate you. You will score higher.
Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks everyone. Originally, I was going to use this summer to prep for it. I got a little paranoid about applying early and decided to take it sooner. I wanted to have take it early enough so that if need be, I'd have enough time to retake it without being to far into the cycle. I studied everyday 10 am - 7 pm, taking 10 minute breaks every hour, using Chad's videos, Cliffs (3rd edition), and KBB. I have the Destroyers but only had about 4 days to go through it, and only got about 1/4 way through each section. I also used DAT Bootcamp to get adjusted to the online, timed format. I'm considering Qvault and CrackDat but do you all think that might be overkill?

Definitely not an overkill I put in the same amount of time try to increase your study time study for 2 hours then take a 20 Min break remember the sciences alone are 90 minutes straight into the PAT. Also I'd recommend the destroyer finish it twice at the bare minimum and dat boot camp complete all the tests. That's should definitely boost your confidence in test day.

I have the Destroyers but only had about 4 days to go through it, and only got about 1/4 way through each section.

I can almost guarantee that if you go through every single question of Destroyer you will get 20+ in OC, GC and QR (provided you do Math Destroyer). What really worked well for me was to understand not only the correct answer, but all the other incorrect answer choices. Go through Chad's again and take meticulous notes. I had a separate notebook for GC and OC with probably 40+ pages of notes in each one. Take all the quizzes and print out all the study guides. There are absolutely no shortcuts to doing well on the DAT. Best of luck this cycle!

*one more thing. Don't focus so much on studying for a set length of time, but rather set a goal for what you want to study each day. I would make sure to complete 50 Destroyer questions each day in Bio, GC, OC and QR. It was a lot of work, but after you get through it the first time, you will remember a lot, which will translate into doing much better during practice tests.

Thanks everyone. Originally, I was going to use this summer to prep for it. I got a little paranoid about applying early and decided to take it sooner. I wanted to have take it early enough so that if need be, I'd have enough time to retake it without being to far into the cycle. I studied everyday 10 am - 7 pm, taking 10 minute breaks every hour, using Chad's videos, Cliffs (3rd edition), and KBB. I have the Destroyers but only had about 4 days to go through it, and only got about 1/4 way through each section. I also used DAT Bootcamp to get adjusted to the online, timed format. I'm considering Qvault and CrackDat but do you all think that might be overkill?

If I remember correctly, Crack the DAT was only worth the money for the PAT practice tests. I recommend Qvault, but only for the biology practice tests. Bootcamp was definitely the best for accurately simulating DAT questions across the board. I highly advise you do every question in destroyer more than once. I still remember walking out of the prometric testing center and thinking "man destroyer saved my ass".

Another thing about studying destroyer. I kept a notebook for each section in destroyer and took detailed notes on every question that I didn't completely understand. I also highlighted the main points and read through the notebook the last hour of each day before I went to bed.

i feel like people are really harsh on this site with DAT scores. Schools don't ONLY look at your DAT scores come on. If you are going to have a low DAT score, you have to have other parts of your application be strong. I know people who get into nice schools with 17's and 18's. I'm not saying people should aim at that score. But it's not like if you don't get a 22 AA you are screwed for life. If you are planning on applying to Harvard, UCLA, UPenn, Colombia.. yes, those scores won't work. I say apply to some schools in the US who don't require the highest DAT score. Also don't apply to ever school obviously. Pick out the ones you can apply to best, with the best chance. Its better to say you were rejected but never tried. If you were rejected, then you know you have to retake it. Don't give up a year because of what people say on here. Im telling you, I know a guy who got a 17 AA on his DAT and applied early last cycle. He got into three different schools.
I say, apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im telling you, I know a guy who got a 17 AA on his DAT and applied early last cycle. He got into three different schools.

Which schools?

i feel like people are really harsh on this site with DAT scores. Schools don't ONLY look at your DAT scores come on. If you are going to have a low DAT score, you have to have other parts of your application be strong. I know people who get into nice schools with 17's and 18's. I'm not saying people should aim at that score. But it's not like if you don't get a 22 AA you are screwed for life. If you are planning on applying to Harvard, UCLA, UPenn, Colombia.. yes, those scores won't work. I say apply to some schools in the US who don't require the highest DAT score. Also don't apply to ever school obviously. Pick out the ones you can apply to best, with the best chance. Its better to say you were rejected but never tried. If you were rejected, then you know you have to retake it. Don't give up a year because of what people say on here. Im telling you, I know a guy who got a 17 AA on his DAT and applied early last cycle. He got into three different schools.
I say, apply.
How are people being too harsh? A 16 on any science section is below the cutoff for most, if not all schools. Your application gets trashed. Just being real.

How are people being too harsh? A 16 on any science section is below the cutoff for most, if not all schools. Your application gets trashed. Just being real.
i'm not try
i'm not trying to win a convo or something, i'm just saying that it's up to the person as well. if they can afford to apply let them, if they cant..retake. I know people who have low scores in 1 or 2 sections who got in.
at the end of the day it's there call, not mine

i'm not try

i'm not trying to win a convo or something, i'm just saying that it's up to the person as well. if they can afford to apply let them, if they cant..retake. I know people who have low scores in 1 or 2 sections who got in.
at the end of the day it's there call, not mine

If an applicant is asking a question on a public forum they are looking for guidance. Although it may seem "harsh" I'd rather them know the weak parts of their app rather than say "NAWW BRO UR GOOD, I KNOW AT LEAST 10 PEOPLE THAT GOT IN WITH A 15AA".
When they're re applying the following year they're going to have to improve their application anyway.

If an applicant is asking a question on a public forum they are looking for guidance. Although it may seem "harsh" I'd rather them know the weak parts of their app rather than say "NAWW BRO UR GOOD, I KNOW AT LEAST 10 PEOPLE THAT GOT IN WITH A 15AA".
When they're re applying the following year they're going to have to improve their application anyway.
dude seriously? i never said you good apply having bad stats. IF OTHER PARTS OF YOUR APPLICATION ARE THROUGH THE SKY A 18 AA WILL NOT KILL YOU.
READ THAT CLEARLY, and I never said apply with low stats in everything. If you wanna apply with a low DAT you have to have a really high GPA, which in some cases doesn't work, it also depends on other parts.
This is why you guys are harsh

dude seriously? i never said you good apply having bad stats. IF OTHER PARTS OF YOUR APPLICATION ARE THROUGH THE SKY A 18 AA WILL NOT KILL YOU.
READ THAT CLEARLY, and I never said apply with low stats in everything. If you wanna apply with a low DAT you have to have a really high GPA, which in some cases doesn't work, it also depends on other parts.
This is why you guys are harsh
Ehh, still I would re-take especially if they have time. just boosting the AA to a 20 would greatly increase chances at admissions and open up more options when it comes to applying. Most of the people I know that got in with scores sub 19s are URMs.

Ehh, still I would re-take especially if they have time. just boosting the AA to a 20 would greatly increase chances at admissions and open up more options when it comes to applying. Most of the people I know that got in with scores sub 19s are URMs.
alright then, that is their choice. let them decide

And most applicants don't have other parts of their application that are "through the sky". Not everyone has 1000+ volunteer hours to offset their 18AA DAT and 3.4 GPA.

Which schools?

I know someone with a 17AA who got into Marquette. It broadens your chances having a better DAT score and can save you a year of applying, but it certainly happens! If you look at the ranges there are a couple 16s and 17s that matriculate. They tend to be on the lowest end of the range of acceptances, but acceptances nonetheless!

If you really want me to dig, I can find info on it. Just glancing at the chance me threads over the last 5 years, not everyone has ASDOH type hours to offset a lower GPA/DAT.

If you really want me to dig, I can find info on it. Just glancing at the chance me threads over the last 5 years, not everyone has ASDOH type hours to offset a lower GPA/DAT.
No need. I just thought that statement was a very broad generalization. Its not always solely on grades. An 18AA and 3.4 is not a deal killer. It may make create a barrier when it comes to a traditional student, but there are different categories of applicants, including some who would have lower scores. Some of those categories would include:
- Applicants with lower scores but more EC's, leadership, etc...
- Nontraditional applicants
- Applicants who had to work full time
- Applicants with families
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged applicants
- Students who got off to a very rough start in college, but dug their way up to a 3.4, with an excellent trend in GPA.

Those are just some examples. I absolutely see your point in your statement, an 18AA and a 3.4 when there are no other obligations or responsibilities is not super competitive, but it's not a deal breaker either. I just think that basing "most" applicants with those comparable stats off of a rough SDN sample is too general.

I am in a similar boat except i'm taking mine in July. I'm still going to submit early but thanks to all the people i've talked to on SDN, I will be emailing the schools to inform them that i'm retaking the DAT and the date. Hope that helps?

No need. I just thought that statement was a very broad generalization. Its not always solely on grades. An 18AA and 3.4 is not a deal killer. It may make create a barrier when it comes to a traditional student, but there are different categories of applicants, including some who would have lower scores. Some of those categories would include:
- Applicants with lower scores but more EC's, leadership, etc...
- Nontraditional applicants
- Applicants who had to work full time
- Applicants with families
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged applicants
- Students who got off to a very rough start in college, but dug their way up to a 3.4, with an excellent trend in GPA.

Those are just some examples. I absolutely see your point in your statement, an 18AA and a 3.4 when there are no other obligations or responsibilities is not super competitive, but it's not a deal breaker either. I just think that basing "most" applicants with those comparable stats off of a rough SDN sample is too general.

Yeah I totally understand your perspective. I am in one of those categories you listed, but I was just responding to the the post about "Through the sky" parts of the application @fdat94 mentioned. I guess I should have said many instead of most.

So does this mean that I shouldn't apply this cycle if I got a 15 in OC but 18+ in everything else with a 23 PAT?

So does this mean that I shouldn't apply this cycle if I got a 15 in OC but 18+ in everything else with a 23 PAT?

If you have the funds, it's always worth a try, but a 15 is below the cut-off for most schools so you're looking at slim chances.

a 15 in OC? What did you use to study? I've heard OC is the easiest of all the scenes on the DAT. Or should I say simplest in with respect to how hard OC can actually be.

I usually tell ppl to not retake when they have at least 18 AA but considering your 3.1 sGPA. I think it would be in your best interest to retake.