Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSchoolHopeful2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I spoke with my Advisor. She recommended that I retake my MCAT as it would look bad not to since I still have a lot of time before submitting my application in June. She told me that medical schools may question my decision not to retake because of the low verbal.

My MCAT score is a 34.
13- BS
9- VR
12-PS

My response to her suggestion was that it may look desperate to retake just to raise my score in Verbal by 1 point. I also made it a point to get across to her that there are a lot of other, more productive activities I could participate in rather than restudying for the MCAT. She also said that if I had gotten an 8 in verbal, she would have definitely recommended that I retake.

What do you think? Retake or not?

Members don't see this ad.

What? That's ridiculous. Unless you've got your sights set on a tippy top school, there is absolutely no reason to retake, IMO.

She gave terrible advice. No need to retake an excellent 34. The 9 is less than ideal but not horrible by any means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely no reason to retake (and schools may question your judgement)....unless you are gunning for the most competitive schools, as Zelda840 mentioned earlier. I retook a 33, got a 37, and I'm pretty sure it was a good decision. Then again, I routinely scored in the 36-41 range on practice tests so I knew I could get up there.

Edit: OP has spoken, nevermind :)

Creeped on your other posts to check your GPA... with your stats, NO WAY do you need to retake - you'll have a stellar app!

Agreed with the rest. Don't retake a 34. If you do worse you will seriously limit your chances of getting in. Your advisor does not have to live with the consequences of the poor advice she gives you so she has unreal expectations.