Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bb012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
way to humble brag lol. 33 is a very impressive score, good enough for the top MD programs. Although an 8 in VR is not great, it's A-okay...even for competitive programs, considering your overall score.

Furthermore a retake looks bad on you because medical schools will question your decision making abilities. Why is he wasting time retaking the mcat when he could be gaining more clinical experience or participating in gainful community service?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would just keep it unless you're consistently scoring 11-12+ on verbal practice tests. It's hard to increase verbal and your other 2 sections are strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates got the same breakdown except 7 in verbal.

A guy I know got into Harvard with a 9 on verbal. Don't retake it.

I'll echo earlier posts..
Don't retake with the sole purpose of raising your verbal score, if 1.) you can't raise it to an 11/12 2.) if your other scores drop.

I concur. Apply broadly and strategically (MSAR Online is your friend) and you'll be fine.

way to humble brag lol. 33 is a very impressive score, good enough for the top MD programs. Although an 8 in VR is not great, it's A-okay...even for competitive programs, considering your overall score.

Furthermore a retake looks bad on you because medical schools will question your decision making abilities. Why is he wasting time retaking the mcat when he could be gaining more clinical experience or participating in gainful community service?

Last edited:
^That's actually one of the more compelling arguments I've read for retaking a 33 MCAT lol.

Reactions: 3 users