Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrubay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I scored a 31 on my MCAT (9 PS/10 VR/12 BS) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to retake it given my performance on practice exams:

Kaplan: 35 (9 PS/11 VR/15 BS)

Kaplan 38 (11 PS/13 VR/14 BS)

Kaplan: 34 (11 PS/10 VR/13 BS)

Kaplan: 32 (10 PS/ 10 VR/12 BS)

Kaplan: 32 (12 PS/ 9 VR/ 11 BS)

AAMC: 31 (11 PS/ 10 VR/ 10 BS)

I'm also a senior majoring in Microbiology, I currently have a 4.0 cumulative GPA (*knocking on wood dramatically*), and I'm heavily involved in research/clinical volunteering/community service/student orgs. I just got my score so I haven't really looked into many schools except the University of Wisconsin (in-state resident, current student there). Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your performance on the AAMC practice exam matched your real score. Why would you retake?

Reactions: 5 users
I think a 31 is fine for University of Wisconsin.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan scores shouldn't be used to predict. If you are going to think about a retake, then practice using the AAMC exams and use that to predict your score. Your score is probably fine and you shouldn't retake unless you score 4-5 points higher on average (not just once) on future practice tests.

Too late for OP but for anyone else reading this thread in the future: buy all the AAMC tests and do them-- those will more accurately predict your score.

Reactions: 1 user
With all the solid extracurricular activities that you have, you should be just fine. Get your application in ASAP though if you haven't already.

Having taken the MCAT twice, don't go through the hassle of taking it again... A 4.0 + 31 is certainly competitive for US MD schools

Just, out of curiosity, which AAMC Test was it? If it was one of the earlier AAMC's then take the 31 and run with it because the later ones are much harder.

Just, out of curiosity, which AAMC Test was it? If it was one of the earlier AAMC's then take the 31 and run with it because the later ones are much harder.

I would assume it was AAMC 3 because that one is free. Even if not, I'd still just take the 31.

I knew a dude who had a 31, retook, got a 27. I almost yacked when he told me.... Could seriously completely screw you for MD

I would assume it was AAMC 3 because that one is free. Even if not, I'd still just take the 31.

I knew a dude who had a 31, retook, got a 27. I almost yacked when he told me.... Could seriously completely screw you for MD

Well, I know two people two had 33's and retook and got 37's. But, I also know someone who retook a 31 and got a 29, which would hurt an app significantly.

4.0/31 with solid ECs? Why would you even consider retaking? You're in as long as you are personable and presentable. At this point, you need to further work on ECs and forming an exceptional application that is backed by your GPA and MCAT. The MCAT hurdle is done for you, focus on the rest of your application.

Do not retake. Your 4.0 will be viewed very favorably.

You retake that perfectly fine score and so help me I'm going to reach through your computer screen and smack you upside the head!

Hi. I scored a 31 on my MCAT (9 PS/10 VR/12 BS) and I'm wondering if it's worth it to retake it given my performance on practice exams:

Kaplan: 35 (9 PS/11 VR/15 BS)

Kaplan 38 (11 PS/13 VR/14 BS)

Kaplan: 34 (11 PS/10 VR/13 BS)

Kaplan: 32 (10 PS/ 10 VR/12 BS)

Kaplan: 32 (12 PS/ 9 VR/ 11 BS)

AAMC: 31 (11 PS/ 10 VR/ 10 BS)

I'm also a senior majoring in Microbiology, I currently have a 4.0 cumulative GPA (*knocking on wood dramatically*), and I'm heavily involved in research/clinical volunteering/community service/student orgs. I just got my score so I haven't really looked into many schools except the University of Wisconsin (in-state resident, current student there). Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you all I really appreciate the feedback!

Sorry for the late reply. I took the free one

Sorry for the late reply. I took the free one

Yeah, AAMC 3 is widely considered to be by far the easiest practice AAMC test. It's not representative of the real thing, which is much harder. The 31 is a fine score and definitely won't hold you back since you have a 4.0. Best of luck!

Don't retake since AAMC is a better predictor than Kaplan, and you still should get in with this score and GPA.