Retake new MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolkid311

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 3.46 gpa with a 30 mcat (10,10,10). My EC's are decent (hospital volunteering, shadowing, and research).

should I retake the new MCAT or not? I submitted my AMCAS application last week and I stated I will take the MCAT again August 21st, but now I'm second guessing if that was a good choice. Please - helpful and ho

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is fine and balanced. Do not retake. What is your science GPA? URM status? State of residence?

With a 64-65 LizzyM and standard ECs, you should be good with low-tier MD schools, but be sure to add some DO schools along the way (the AACOMAS cycle is longer).

IL but I don't want to go DO since I might want to go into academic medicine. Not URM or disadvantaged. Received merited scholarship for undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake it. People will wonder why you retook a 30, and unless you do significantly better (equivalent of 34+) it will not help at all, especially if it goes down. Plus you'd have to study for a different test, which isn't fun.

IL but I don't want to go DO since I might want to go into academic medicine. Not URM or disadvantaged. Received merited scholarship for undergrad

DOs can go into academic medicine (and even joy very productive research that many MDs envy). Few of the department heads and chairs at an allopathic medical school affiliated with my undergrad are DOs.

You still have chance at getting into a lower/lower-mid tier MD schools, but the only thing holding you back is your GPA. The MCAT is fine.

100% agree.

Invest in MSAR online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own.

Your MCAT is fine and balanced. Do not retake. What is your science GPA? URM status? State of residence?

With a 64-65 LizzyM and standard ECs, you should be good with low-tier MD schools, but be sure to add some DO schools along the way (the AACOMAS cycle is longer).