Retake science classes at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishberry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice.

Graduated from a UC with a science degree. Applied to medical school, had one interview, but was not accepted. I feel fine about everything on my application, save for my GPA. Overall: 3.4 Science: 3.1

I'm taking some time off before applying to MD schools again. What can I do to strengthen that GPA? I'd like to get an MPH and find a job or volunteer experience in public health, but I hear that won't do too much. Can I retake my science pre-reqs at a CC? Or should I take new upper division courses at a university or an extension?

Members don't see this ad.

You could take science and non science courses at a CC that you have not previously taken in order to raise your GPA. Concentrate on courses that you feel you could receive A's in. Your MCAT score will also be very important.

You could take science and non science courses at a CC that you have not previously taken in order to raise your GPA. Concentrate on courses that you feel you could receive A's in. Your MCAT score will also be very important.

Thanks for your reply. I have also seen people say that it's better to take upper division classes at universities or extension programs. But you think a CC will be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I have also seen people say that it's better to take upper division classes at universities or extension programs. But you think a CC will be fine?

For DO schools it will make no difference. It may matter for a few MD schools so if MD is your main focus you could take them at a university.

For DO schools it will make no difference. It may matter for a few MD schools so if MD is your main focus you could take them at a university.

That's helpful, thank you!