Retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent2468

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am reapplying to dental school this year after receiving only one interview and a rejection last cycle. I am currently done with my application but have yet to submit it because I am preparing to retake the DAT at the beginning of August, but am not sure if retaking it would be beneficial. It would be my third retake and my current scores from my second DAT are:
PAT: 17
QR: 19
RC: 23
Bio: 20
GC: 19
OC: 21
TS: 20
AA: 20
My science GPA and undergrad GPA are both 3.63 and I have over 200 shadowing hours. I really want to improve my PAT, but am not sure if it is worth the risk of possibly scoring lower on any section.

Any advice you all can offer me on this would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to last cycle and what was your DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to only 3 schools last time with the scores from my second DAT above. I will be applying to 7 schools this time.

Ah, gotcha!

Do you feel the 20 AA/17 PAT was an accurate representation of your level of preparation? How did it compare to your practice tests? In my opinion, your numbers are good enough that you should only re-take if you're highly confident that your scores will improve across the board.

If you're able to rise to a 19 PAT/21 AA, then needless to say you'll be in a much better spot. However, losing even one point off your AA would be very painful. I know I'm stating the obvious, but you'll have to run that risk/reward analysis for yourself based on your situation and how you feel about the DAT. Re-taking would also mean losing two months.

Whatever you do, I think it needs to include increasing the number of schools you'll be applying to. ~15 would be a good number. You don't want to risk losing another year. Think of it as a $1-2000 insurance policy guarding against 100 grand in lost earnings.

Last edited:
If you can afford to, increase the number of schools you apply to. Another year not in DS is another year you're not gaining experience and making $. I think your DAT scores are fine, but if you feel you can improve, by all means retake.