Retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmer to dentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 10 different dental schools and submitted my application in the beginning of July. I took my DAT in the beginning of June and got an AA of 16, with no scores above 20, however a 19 on the PAT. I have a 3.5 GPA and very, very strong extracurriculars. I also would say I have above average community service and dental experience (3 Mission of Mercy's, and a year of working in a dental office). I was planning on studying all summer long for the DAT and retaking it in the beginning of September, but I got very busy this summer and I am just now thinking about studying again. Do I risk doing bad on the DAT again and wasting my money, and another attempt, or do I have a chance at gaining an interview with my scores? I'm confident I can dominate an interview, however, I don't know if I will even be considered with at AA of 16.

HELP

BTW I applied to :
Marquette
ASDOH
Colorado
Minnesota
Nova Southeastern
LECOM
Kentucky
Louisville
North Carolina
Western

Members don't see this ad.

Definately retake
Your app seems strong otherwise, but DAT is very important! I think you should retake and study longer,
I really recommend utilizing destroyer, chads videos for the chemistry review, and bootcamp for practice in all sections.

I think you will be able to drastically improve your scores if you put in the time and effort.

Goodluck and stay positive!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I read somewhere September 15.

You said you are just now studying again. From what I read on the forums, it is 2-3 weeks for AADSAS to receive the scores. This would mean you would have to take the test next week.

Like I said, the chances are ALWAYS there. You have nice ECs in my mind. If you honestly think you can do well then go ahead and take it, but definitely keep in mind that you basically only have 3 attempts at it.

I applied to 10 different dental schools and submitted my application in the beginning of July. I took my DAT in the beginning of June and got an AA of 16, with no scores above 20, however a 19 on the PAT. I have a 3.5 GPA and very, very strong extracurriculars. I also would say I have above average community service and dental experience (3 Mission of Mercy's, and a year of working in a dental office). I was planning on studying all summer long for the DAT and retaking it in the beginning of September, but I got very busy this summer and I am just now thinking about studying again. Do I risk doing bad on the DAT again and wasting my money, and another attempt, or do I have a chance at gaining an interview with my scores? I'm confident I can dominate an interview, however, I don't know if I will even be considered with at AA of 16.

HELP

BTW I applied to :
Marquette
ASDOH
Colorado
Minnesota
Nova Southeastern
LECOM
Kentucky
Louisville
North Carolina
Western

Hi I got a similar score like you.

Did you get the test with the hurricanes and stomache bacteria?

And math had questions on arc tangents?

I did not, I just wasn't super prepared. Are you retaking it? Did you apply already?

Yes retaking late November or early December.

Also going to school taking Orgo 2 and 2 other classes.

I already applied to 12 schools.

I am also waiting for aadsas to update dat scores.

Yes retaking late November or early December.

Also going to school taking Orgo 2 and 2 other classes.

I already applied to 12 schools.

I am also waiting for aadsas to update dat scores.
Are you retaking then for this cycle? My second DAT had the hurricane and quantum reading passage and it was awful, dropped my reading score dropped 2 points from my first DAT because it was awful. I am planning on retaking my 3rd attempt in December but know it will be too late for this cycle and I applied to 9 schools in June):