Retake these classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 C's on my transcript from community college 3 years ago. They were all classes that I absolutely despised the teacher and consequently put off all the work. I also made a bad impression (small class sizes).

They are (you're going to laugh)

English 1
Social Psych
Security and Law

:laugh:

I have a 3.72 cumulative and I wonder how much these 9 credits worth of C's bring me down. I know that any medical school would see that these grades were from years ago and clearly the rest of my grades are great. I think I want to retake these classes just so I can feel better about myself.

Is it really not worth the effort? I'm wondering if it would look good that I went back and retook these classes. I would probably take them over the summer while studying for the MCAT.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your cumulative GPA is good, if anyone asks you about it in an interview (or on a secondary app) tell them that it was something you weren't interested in at the time, but you learned a valuable lesson about bla bla bla, etc. Your time is better spent focusing on the MCAT. I had a D on my transcript and a few C's from silly classes (world music, intro to math for electronics...), it never came up except for on one secondary that asked for an explanation of any grade below a C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice so far. I just wanted to add that it was actually 4-5 years ago and I was much different back then. I would never let my opinion of a professor affect my work these days. Furthermore, I wasn't really interested in medical school back then. Boy, if I knew!

Thanks for the advice so far. I just wanted to add that it was actually 4-5 years ago and I was much different back then. I would never let my opinion of a professor affect my work these days. Furthermore, I wasn't really interested in medical school back then. Boy, if I knew!

If they were pre-reqs, I'd say retake, but they're not. Don't worry about it. Focus like mad on the MCAT and you're golden. When are you taking it, btw? I'd suggest not doing what I did, which was take summer classes as well as studying for the MCAT then taking it late August right before classes began. If at all possible, try and take the MCAT in June or earlier so your application is as early as possible. That's one of the things that really hurt me, as I didn't get my primary complete at all my schools until October 6th!

Yeah, I get ya on the pre-reqs argument. I think I'm just concerned with boosting my GPA with such an easy amount of work. As long as my GPA remains the same, I'll be okay I suppose.

As of now I'm actually planning on taking it in August for the following reasons:

1) My biology, gen chem, and mathematics need major work. August gives me 3 1/2 months of nothing but studying (and part time work)

2) August MCAT means I probably won't get in for Fall of 2012 but it does afford me the opportunity to A) take some time off in between and B) Take the May MCAT in 2013 if my first score isn't very good.

Taking the MCAT in May just isn't feasible with my workload at school (and my lack of smarts:laugh:) so that would leave me with June. Doesn't seem like a lot of time to prep for such a big test.

Feel free to talk me out of it though!

3 classes, all non-science.

Don't give 2 sh~ts.