retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastryman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.97 GPA
34Q mcat (11, 11, 12)
hundreds of research hours
extracurricular and volunteering hours are weak

I don't know if I will get in this cycle because of my weak hours.

So, my question is: if I skip a year and apply next cycle, should I retake the MCAT? I think it's a pretty solid score but I don't know whether its value depreciates over time (e.g. maybe things have changed and he's not as smart as he was last year, etc.).

Or should I just work on the hours alone and not worry about the MCAT?

I'm asking now because I don't want to forget all my studied information so I would keep reviewing until I retake next year.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT score doesn't "depreciate". A 34 this year will be worth the same as a 34 next year or the year after. However, the score does expire after 3 years, so a retake would be necessary then.

So the answer is: NO. You should definitely not retake the MCAT.

not only should you not retake, you SHOULD apply NOW!.... i'm in a similar boat with weak hours. But it's not worth, imo, taking a WHOLE year to do a few extra EC's... apply now, one less year before you're a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding but I guess I didn't state that I am applying this cycle but I don't expect to get in.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding but I guess I didn't state that I am applying this cycle but I don't expect to get in.

Unless you went completely top heavy, and/or you're a poor interviewer, and/or your PS sucks...you should be fine.

Retaking the MCAT would be certifiably insane. :eyebrow:

Well, I have decided to stay/live in Texas and not put too much distance between me and my family and home. So, I only applied to the five or six schools in Texas and they are very competitive so I pray I will get in. But, my applications are still processing (stupid 4-6 weeks) so I am a late applier and on top of that are the weak hours. I have my fingers crossed but I won't cry if I fail. Thanks for the answers; if I have not misunderstood, I gather that this score will still be wonderful when applying next cycle.

Did you not apply to all of the TX schools? There are 8 MD schools here. You should apply to all of them, including UTSW and Baylor.

Your MCAT is not your problem. Apply this year, and during the wait year you should do more volunteering so that if you get rejected from everywhere this year cuz of low hours, next year you'll be fine

Yeah, I applied to Baylor, UTSW, UTMB, San Antonio, Houston, and A&M. I don't think the rest make the cut for me. Are there any other great schools I am missing? I am loving the assistance, guys.

-WOW I FORGOT TO HIT SUBMIT AFTER TYPING THIS UP MUCH EARLIER

Your MCAT is not your problem. Apply this year, and during the wait year you should do more volunteering so that if you get rejected from everywhere this year cuz of low hours, next year you'll be fine

Sounds like sound advice. I have a couple activities lined up and threw them on my TMDSAS application (on the planned activities section) as well. So I suppose I will start on those.