Retakes and Upper Division Science Course Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkGrover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have over 100 credits at around 2.3 and did very poorly the first few years for serious reasons outside of school. Instead of applying for graduation from my university which is a strong state school with a teaching hospital + med school, I am looking to stay and do full time undergrad work for another 2-3 years. It is my thinking that I would have a difficult if not impossible time moving on to any grad work or being let back in so I thought it better to stay and pretty much start over.

Does it make sense to retake Bio (D) and Chem (F.. must retake this) and focus just finishing the pre-reqs and raise my low overall gpa with courses outside of science

or

Focus on retaking those sciences and continue taking a bunch of other upper division science courses for the remainder of my time at this school?

I wouldn't qualify for an SMP at this point nor would I be able to afford it. If you attempt to do a DIY post bacc at this school, your access to a seat is limited because its a big science school and so classes tend to be full before they allow anyone who is not undergrad to register.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If there truly is no option to do post-bacc work (i.e. taking undergraduate courses after graduation, which most universities allow) then you should stick around and try to bump up the GPA. Definitely retake the two courses you got D/F in. After that take upper level science courses.

You're in a sort of similar situation to me and I am taking upper division science courses for the next year and a half and focusing on getting a really good GPA.