Retaking AAMC CBTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markymark71990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be retaking the MCAT on Sept 4th, and would like to get some other people's experiences about retaking the AAMC CBTs and how you did on your retake. I am anticipating elevated scores, but was curious to know if it actually ed to an increase in the score after the retake. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The scores will be inflated, but the longer you wait to take them, the more you will not remember (thus becoming more representative). I did retake them averaging a 29, but on the real deal I got a 24 (7/6/11). Not sure what happened, but I doubt that the score were that inflated (since it was a year that I took them last). I think if you are seeing very large gains on your aamcs (retaking them) then it means you are improving. My biology average for my AAMCs retaking them was 11.5, so my real mcat was representative of that. I still think it is useful retaking them though.

Have you also taken the self assessments or the official guide to the MCAT?

I will be retaking the MCAT on Sept 4th, and would like to get some other people's experiences about retaking the AAMC CBTs and how you did on your retake. I am anticipating elevated scores, but was curious to know if it actually ed to an increase in the score after the retake. Thanks!

They will certainly be inflated but it won't hurt.

The scores will be inflated, but the longer you wait to take them, the more you will not remember (thus becoming more representative). I did retake them averaging a 29, but on the real deal I got a 24 (7/6/11). Not sure what happened, but I doubt that the score were that inflated (since it was a year that I took them last). I think if you are seeing very large gains on your aamcs (retaking them) then it means you are improving. My biology average for my AAMCs retaking them was 11.5, so my real mcat was representative of that. I still think it is useful retaking them though.

Have you also taken the self assessments or the official guide to the MCAT?

Yep haven't done verbal or physics which is good cause i prob struggle the most in these categories. I took in apri and got a 28 (11/7/10); i was averaging around a 9 on verbal and 10s on bio and physical. Im hoping i can bring it up to a 31

i feel like \i underachieved on both verbal and bio on the real deal. I know I'm capable of getting a 12 on BIO and a 9-10 on verbal. if i can maintain 10PS 9VR 12 BS ill b happy

i feel like \i underachieved on both verbal and bio on the real deal. I know I'm capable of getting a 12 on BIO and a 9-10 on verbal. if i can maintain 10PS 9VR 12 BS ill b happy

You are probably capable of even getting higher. You just need to devise an effective study plan emphasizing concepts and be disciplined.

being disciplined has never been an issue. in fact, i think i studied too much last time. i got a 32 on AAMC 10 exactly a week before the exam. I think i peaked too soon

yeah. my problem was that my confidence was shot. got a 32 on 10 and was pumped then got a 27 on 11 and was freaking out that whole week before the test. should have stayed with the 32