Retaking Chem2 at CC for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OGLoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the Chem sequence in undergrad but dropped pre-med afterwards. Returned to pre-med as a post-bacc at a local 4-year, planned to retake the Chem sequence as it had been 7 years, but after acing Chem1 with ease, I skipped Chem2 in order to jump into the Orgo sequence. Completed the remainder of the pre-reqs with a 4.0.

I don’t remember much Chem2, so I’m considering retaking it at a local CC to prepare for the MCAT. I wouldn’t be retaking it for gpa padding – I got an A- as an undergrad at a 4-year and an A in Chem1 and the Orgo sequence as a post-bacc – but rather because I learn better in a classroom setting than I do studying on my own.

Is this too risky? Should I self-study chem2 and hope my nearly decade-old memories return to me?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

you could audit the class? you go through everything in the class just minus the grade. definitely ask about it

Reactions: 1 user
Ah right! I'd forgotten about auditing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, audit or watch some free online lectures from one of the various sources. You've got great grades so you probably don't want to risk something goofy happening.

Being more than a decade out, that's my plan for things I'm rusty on. There are so many great free online resources out there.

Not sure why paying to audit would be worth it. If you're going to pay, you might as well get the grade. Showing adcoms that you can take classes and get A's is always a good thing.
If you don't want/need the grade then, as suggested above, watch some videos online and save some dollars so you can give them to AMCAS.

Ehh, I dunno. Was ~ 3.5 years since I had taken chem 1&2. Biggest things I remember being used was gibbs free energy, batteries, calorimetry... Other topics as well. Nothing was insurmountable as far as self-study (khan academy++++++).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

This is unnecessary. Simply review/learn the topics you need on your own for MCAT purposes.