Retaking Classes - Need Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wookiewookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dilemma is:

I have two C's in MTH courses. I have three B's in BIO/CHM. In the interest of time (not much - my part-time semesters are filling up pretty quickly), what do I retake? IMO, my best shot is DO, so do I retake the B's? I am planning on applying to MD in which case, I want to retake the C's. Ideally, I would like to retake all, but considering the time shortage, which is the best strategy to develop: retake C's and (very) slighly improve my gpa for MD, or retake the B's and greatly improve my gpa for DO?

• I have not taken the MCAT yet
  • My undergrad gpa is dismal (3.1, no sciences)
  • My future two semesters will be Orgo I (fall) and Orgo II and Physics II (spring)
  • I have A's in BIO II, CHM II and Physics II and A&P I
  • The B's are Chm I, Bio I, and A&P II (I am willing to retake Bio I and Chm I, good lord not A&P II please).
  • The C's are in Stats and College Algebra. I am certain that all of these classes can be re-taken for As, its just a matter of timing (timing bc I am due to delivery my second baby this October, so my max class load for the next two semesters is ideally two courses).
Please give me your advice!!!!!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

if you retake the C's wont that help you for both? ie. better for DO too? or is it that DO doesnt consider those classes or something? i'm failing to follow the logic, but i'm also a zombie right now :p

My dilemma is:

I have two C's in MTH courses. I have three B's in BIO/CHM. In the interest of time (not much - my part-time semesters are filling up pretty quickly), what do I retake? IMO, my best shot is DO, so do I retake the B's? I am planning on applying to MD in which case, I want to retake the C's. Ideally, I would like to retake all, but considering the time shortage, which is the best strategy to develop: retake C's and (very) slighly improve my gpa for MD, or retake the B's and greatly improve my gpa for DO?

• I have not taken the MCAT yet
  • My undergrad gpa is dismal (3.1, no sciences)
  • My future two semesters will be Orgo I (fall) and Orgo II and Physics II (spring)
  • I have A's in BIO II, CHM II and Physics II and A&P I
  • The B's are Chm I, Bio I, and A&P II (I am willing to retake Bio I and Chm I, good lord not A&P II please).
  • The C's are in Stats and College Algebra. I am certain that all of these classes can be re-taken for As, its just a matter of timing (timing bc I am due to delivery my second baby this October, so my max class load for the next two semesters is ideally two courses).
Please give me your advice!!!!!

Thank you!

I'm confused. You say your GPA is "3.1, no sciences" but then you say that you have As/Bs in a bunch of science classes. Don't retake anything higher than a C- for now. Do well on the MCAT and get As in all your upcoming classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, retaking any class for a higher grade will help, regardless of DO or MD. I guess I'm trying to determine which retakes will help the most.

If I retake the C's for A's, my MD pre-med GPA will have the average of those retakes calculated in (so, B's).

If I retake the C's for A's, my DO pre-med GPA won't be affected, but my overall GPA will be affected.

If I retake the B's for A's, my DO and MD pre-med GPAs will increase (the DO will increase more than the MD), but I will still have the C's in the overall GPA to report to DO schools.

Its a mess.

I'm sorry for the confusion. My undergrad GPA (in which I didn't take any of the pre-med courses) in a 3.1. My post bacc pre med course work is where I have the 3 B's and depending on where I apply, two C's.