Retaking Classes to Boost GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonbajulce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. What is the deal with retaking classes to boost your GPA? Does taking the class the 2nd time cover up the first grade or are they averaged? Is it a good idea to retake low grade science classes?

For some background info, I am a Junior on the edge of being considered for dental schools because of how low my GPA is. I have a 3.1 GPA and a ~2.9 sGPA. I will be taking the DATs this summer. I have done research here and there as well as shadowing and volunteering.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

unless you're ferris bueller planning on hacking some computers you ain't getting those old grades expunged. it'll look good that you retook a class and did significantly better, but as a junior you're gpa is relatively set in stone. your call. why not just spend your time on getting a 22+ science score on the dat

The counselors at my school said that they will take your original grade and your retake grade and average the two out. At my school, in the Bio Sci department they only allow you to retake a class if you got a C- or lower.

Many people boost their GPA by doing masters. Some schools favor that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk