Retaking classes while in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texas110477

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many classes can you retake in pharmacy school before getting kicked out? If you fail a class the second time around do you get kicked out as well?

Members don't see this ad.

where I went, I do not think there is a SET rule for this. They encourage everyone to try to pass and figure out why they are not passing something rather than just automatically kick them out. I am sure this depends on every school's policy, some are likely stricter than others (I think USC in California has a minimum GPA requirement, otherwise you end up on Probation) but for the most part, I would imagine that once you are admitted, programs work with you to ensure that you succeed. At least, that is what I noticed at UCSF.

My school (University of Arizona) has a pretty detailed policy. Basically 1 D or F gets you a warning and you have to repeat the course. A second one gets you probation and a repeat. A third one gets you kicked out of the program. If you fail the class again, you are kicked out. Failing a class will pretty much guarantee an automatic extra year in school because everything builds on itself. I think there is a bit of leniency though if you are asking for help and seriously putting the effort in. All of my professors want to see us succeed, so I feel this policy is a fail-safe to kick people out who aren't trying.

My school (University of Arizona) has a pretty detailed policy. Basically 1 D or F gets you a warning and you have to repeat the course. A second one gets you probation and a repeat. A third one gets you kicked out of the program. If you fail the class again, you are kicked out. Failing a class will pretty much guarantee an automatic extra year in school because everything builds on itself. I think there is a bit of leniency though if you are asking for help and seriously putting the effort in. All of my professors want to see us succeed, so I feel this policy is a fail-safe to kick people out who aren't trying.

2 F's or 3 D's or under 2.0 GPA for more than a semester or a combination of those at Creighton will get you kicked out automatically.

That means an F in any 2 courses or retaking and failing the same course.